Author Topic: The 120 second Rule  (Read 3618 times)

Offline Jackie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dark_Shadows_Original_Series-1966-71
The 120 second Rule
« on: February 09, 2005, 07:38:00 PM »
I would like to suggest to the moderators, if possible, to change the 120 second rule of posting messages.  I have gotten the message numerous times that I exceeded the 120 second limit and have to wait, and wait and wait.  I can't be the only one who types fast and posts numerous times.  Think about it, yes?  Oh before I forget, I'm suggesting less time, not more time between posts. LOL ;)
Robservations & slideshow every week day at
http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/Dark_Shadows_Original_Series/

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: The 120 second Rule
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2005, 08:32:20 PM »
That feature is in place to prevent what's known as spewing:

... The 120 second setting is there so a spammer can't come to the forum with one of their tricky pieces of spamming software...

There is a possibility, though, that in the future there will be a way to set different time limits for each membergroup (Newbie, Full, Junior, etc.), having it decrease as each member's post totals rises and there's much less liklihood that they're simply a spammer who might want to spew. But that's just something that's being talked about at this point.

In the meantime, why the rush? Life is too short to go through it at lightning speed. Slow down a bit and enjoy.  ;)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2005, 09:35:50 PM »
This is just my opinion, but I think one reason for the lag time is because the mods have to read EVERY POST.  If there weren't a lag time, there might wind up being a lot more posts for them to have to go through.

I personally like the mods, and I cherish the notion that they might, occasionally, enjoy "a life" beyond the glittering fields of these boards. (!)

G.

Offline Jackie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2005, 10:07:14 PM »

... The 120 second setting is there so a spammer can't come to the forum with one of their tricky pieces of spamming software...

There is a possibility, though, that in the future there will be a way to set different time limits for each membergroup (Newbie, Full, Junior, etc.), having it decrease as each member's post totals rises and there's much less liklihood that they're simply a spammer who might want to spew. But that's just something that's being talked about at this point.

In the meantime, why the rush? Life is too short to go through it at lightning speed. Slow down a bit and enjoy.  ;)

Thanks for responding and considering this idea.  As one poster suggested, do you moderators REALLY have to read every post and that's why the lag time?  Just curious.

I didn't think my posting was "lightning speed" and I'm a slow reader too.  :o  But if you see a thread you're responding to and there are several messages within that thread, it isn't unlikely that someone can post more than one message in less than 2 minutes.  You know what it's like when you have to wait for something ... it seems longer than it really is.  Don't get me wrong, I'll live!   ;D  Right now I'm writing term papers between posts.  LOL J/K!!!

Offline Jackie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2005, 10:11:12 PM »

OH MY, I missed this the first time reading...that explains a great deal.  I understand because I dislike spamming as much as you all do!  :(

[now I'll wait before posting this since I'm under 2 minutes since my last message.  [8311]

[angl2]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2005, 10:53:24 PM »
do you moderators REALLY have to read every post

Yup, we read every post. We'd be doing an extremely sloppy job of moderating if we didn't.  ;)

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2005, 11:14:04 PM »
And we appreciate all the effort you make.

Nancy
(making sure she gets in her quarterly suck up to the moderators post)

Yup, we read every post. We'd be doing an extremely sloppy job of moderating if we didn't.  ;)

Offline Mark Rainey

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2005, 11:39:47 PM »
I can't be the only one who types fast and posts numerous times.

No, you're not.

But the corollary is that life is too short to sit here and waste time waiting for a whole lot of nuthin'. In two minutes, I could often post three or four messages. So I just don't.

On the other hand, safeguards against spammers are priceless. Little is more irritating than coming onto a board and finding it loaded with crap. I'd rather have this than the alternative (though sixty seconds twixt messages would ease things for us time-is-money, ulcerated writers in the crowd). ;)

Offline Jackie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2005, 06:57:30 AM »

And this new member appreciates it.  I've been on boards/lists where things can and do go amuck even with the moderators moderating...  but you guys are class A in my book!  Knowing why I have to wait 2 minutes between posting makes it more tolerating so thanks for the explanation.  I'll just hope some new and improved method comes around someday.  :D

Offline Jackie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2005, 07:01:16 AM »
But the corollary is that life is too short to sit here and waste time waiting for a whole lot of nuthin'. In two minutes, I could often post three or four messages. So I just don't.

On the other hand, safeguards against spammers are priceless. Little is more irritating than coming onto a board and finding it loaded with crap. I'd rather have this than the alternative (though sixty seconds twixt messages would ease things for us time-is-money, ulcerated writers in the crowd). ;)

Yes, we can only hope!  It just means my time on this board will be longer than usual IF I want to post more.  Wonder if people can stand me that long.  LOL   ;)

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2005, 11:11:56 PM »

I think my frustration stems from the fact that I have a dial-up connection at home and that's often shaky at best. A couple of Sundays ago, I logged on, answered a PM, then tried to reply to a post. I got hit with the 120 second rule, duly waited, but I think I went too fast because when I tried again it was well after two minutes, and then it kept on happening (does it become cumulative or do you only have to wait the initial 120 seconds?). What I had intended to be a short five minute stint online turned into something much longer.

Don't get me wrong, I understand why you have the rule in place and I think it's a good idea. I really do appreciate the amazing job you three do on these boards  8)
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2005, 02:06:58 AM »
wow...so let me understand this.there is a mod at the board 24/7/365?does everyone live in different time zones or are some of you "night owls"?are there only the three main mods(midnite,dom,mysterious) or do other members assume moderating duties?sometimes when i see who's online it says so&so plus 4 hidden.i assumed the hidden members were the mods.
and what does the 120 second rule mean it terms of spamming?if someone posts,and it's determined to be spam,can that person post again 120 seconds later or can the mod who just read the post block thier next post?
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2005, 02:09:27 AM »
Add'l 120 Luciaphil (this happens to me frequently). I'm pretty sure I had asked this exactly question and it's somewhere on the board....

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2005, 02:15:26 AM »
On a different thread, Midnite wrote:
This caught at least a few people by surprise, myself included, so I probably should explain that the 120 second limit on posting (which was put in place to prevent spewing [repeatedly submitting posts in rapid succession] on the forums) now includes any combination of posting and personal messaging.  In other words, after you send a PM you're required to wait 120 seconds before you can submit a post or send another PM, or if you start by making a post you then have to wait... you get the picture.  I don't know why the SMF developers added private messaging to the mix, but I suspect it may have been to thwart flooding of other mailboxes with PMs.

BTW, if you get a 120 second limit error message, figure on having to wait another 120 seconds.  Take it from someone who sends a lot of PMs.   

(I added the underlines )
Patti

PS...Midnite...no, I still have no clue how to put the actual topic thingy in here... boo hoo
What a Woman!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2005, 05:27:31 AM »
or are some of you "night owls"?

I wouldn't be exaggerating if I said the fact that some of us are "night owls" is an understatement. Our mantra around here is "we don't need no stinkin' sleep!"  [wink2]

and what does the 120 second rule mean it terms of spamming?if someone posts,and it's determined to be spam,can that person post again 120 seconds later or can the mod who just read the post block thier next post?

The limit subverts spamming software that could be used to make posts automatically. But, yeah, if someone really wanted to sit around all day and all night posting something every two minutes they definitely could. The idea is that most spammers would lose interest in that pretty quickly - they like to send out a ton of posts in one fell swoop. And then there's that fact that one of the admins/mods would most definitely block their posting privileges as soon as their behavior was detected.  ;)