Author Topic: How Far Is It To.......  (Read 3737 times)

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
How Far Is It To.......
« on: June 09, 2007, 04:10:55 AM »
So I was thinking.

I remember that early in the series that someone, possibly Liz, described the Old House as being a 10 or 15 minute walk through the woods from Collinwood. Yet people always seem to show up there within seconds of leaving Collinwood, or some place in town. I know, I know, the set was just around the corner in the studio. But thinking about this got me wondering: How far away are places in DS?

For example, how far did Liz say that the Old House was from Collinwood? And how far is Collinwood from Collinsport? And just how BIG is Collinsport. And how far away is Rockport, Logansport, Little Winward Island, Windcliffe, etc.

Any ideas? Thought it might be fun. Maybe we can plan a trip.

So I'm leaving Windcliffe, fresh from being juiced up with sedatives and drugs so that I don't remember who I am or where I'm from (thanks Julia, you're the best!). How long will it take me to get to Collinsport?
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline JosettesMusicBox

• Full Poster
  • JosettesMusicBox
    • View Profile
Re: How Far Is It To.......
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2007, 04:13:38 AM »
I think I remember Vicki saying something about the trip to Bangor taking about an hour (I know Burke drove her there at one point).

~JosettesMusicBox

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2007, 04:18:27 AM »
Windcliff is supposedly 100 miles from Collinsport. I know I wouldn't want to walk it!  :D  Though, unless they hitchhiked in scenes we never saw, characters apparently did - and at an extremely super-human-quick pace...

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2007, 08:24:04 AM »
[The system won't let me use the spoiler tags - so I'll just leave a lot of space.  If a Moderator wants to fix it, please do!!!]

[After not letting me post the spoilers, when I tried to post the revised version, it said I had already posted this!  However, it doesn't show up!  I hope it will let this one through!!!]

Sometimes it seems that the Old House is a good distance away.  But there are other times, particularly

spoiler

x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x

Back when Julia was hypnotizing Vicki and then taking her to the Old House and showing her Barnabas in the coffin, one time she had Carolyn go to make tea or coffee and while she was doing that, she did the hypnosis, went to the Old House, looked in the coffin, came back and "unhypnotized," before Carolyn returned with the coffee!!!
Josette

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2007, 03:46:38 PM »
[The system won't let me use the spoiler tags - so I'll just leave a lot of space.  If a Moderator wants to fix it, please do!!!]

If you've been keeping up with the *** Big Changes Ahead *** topic on the Testing board, you know the spoiler feature isn't presently available.

[After not letting me post the spoilers, when I tried to post the revised version, it said I had already posted this!  However, it doesn't show up!]

The post didn't show up because you were prevented from using spoiler tags - but the system knew that you had already submitted the post, which is why it told you, "You already submitted this post! You might have accidently double clicked, or tried to refresh."

before Carolyn returned with the coffee!!!

True. But at least Carolyn makes a point of complaining about the hard time she had making the coffee.  ;)

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2007, 04:52:13 PM »
I heard a couple references lately to people driving other people from the Old House to Collinwood.   Also, the old bldg. where Ang stores vampire victim Barnabas until she arises again is said to be between the two buildings.    Yet it was supposedly a good hiding place.     Anyway, there seems to be space for other houses inbetween.

As for ECS, anxiety creates adrenaline.     I say she Road-Runnered her way down the pike, back home.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2007, 05:13:59 PM »
Maybe Carolyn had to grow the tea leaves, pick them, grind them, run water through them, then stir in the sugar? That would've given Julia enough time to do all that.

And here's another one--any guess on how far Maggie's house was from town?
Brandon Collins

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2007, 04:59:48 AM »
Maybe Carolyn had to grow the tea leaves

I think you meant coffee beans.  :)  And they shouldn't grow in the Collinsport climate. But as we've said in another topic, one can never be 100% sure what might grow in the perpetually green, bizarro world of Collinsport.  :D

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2007, 06:13:05 AM »
Yup! Coffee beans is what I meant. Maybe she grew them in the greenhouse on the property.
Brandon Collins

Offline Willie

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2007, 02:42:35 PM »
In episode 942, David goes from Collinwood to the antique store in Collinsport - while in a wheelchair  ;D  Must hve been a long way to push himself.  As far as how many people live in Collinsport, they once pulled out a Collinsport phone book, and it was about twice as thick as my phone book, and I live in a city of 25,000 people.  Okay, that's rather circumstantial evidence and silly in its absurdity, but I think about these things  ;D

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2007, 05:19:33 PM »
Maybe David had a magic flying wheelchair? That would've been something interesting to introduce to the storyline. I can see it now....David is at Collinwood, Liz and Carolyn tell him that they're going to the Inn, and when they get there, David is waiting for them. Liz turns to Carolyn and remarks "I just don't know how David can get around this town so quickly in that wheelchair." And Carolyn says "He must be able to fly or something." While David smiles knowingly.

And as for the phonebook, if 50,000 people live in Collinsport, they must have apartments on the ships in the ports, and Collinsport must be the size of a very small city, not a small, gloomy town.
Brandon Collins

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2007, 08:16:00 PM »
Just think that there was only the Blue Whale, no movie theatre, no grocer store, and only one cell? This a town of 25,000 per rthe phone book. There must have been a line at the Blue Whale, like Studio 54???
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline Phil

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2007, 09:09:21 PM »
"It's not Star Trek, there's not a convention every week. If I miss this, it's a three year dry spell." - Patton Oswalt on DS

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2007, 12:18:08 AM »
The full-sized map is here.  Hope that's okay with you, Housefly Cameo.

Offline Phil

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2007, 12:21:00 AM »
No, thanks! I modified the post a few times trying to correct it and gave up.
"It's not Star Trek, there's not a convention every week. If I miss this, it's a three year dry spell." - Patton Oswalt on DS