Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0112  (Read 1345 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0112
« on: December 06, 2011, 06:30:05 PM »

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: Discuss - Ep #0112
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 07:22:45 PM »
I like how Victoria dictates her captain's log (VO) in her head while she's right in the middle of being killed!  She multi-tasks, good for her.   It might as well have gone:  My name is Victoria Winters.   I'm being killed right now!
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 07:48:24 PM »
 [a1f5] [a1f5] [a1f5], MT!

The scene with Elizabeth and Matthew was terrific. In full Mistress of Collinwood mode, she uses nothing but sheer force of personality to talk him out of killing Vicki. But his suspicions are too much for him, and it was a real shock to see him reach for Elizabeth's throat.

Probably less than an hour later, back at Collinwood, Elizabeth looks ready for battle as she declares she's not afraid of Burke Devlin.

Frank takes Vicki to dinner, then invites her for a no doubt chaste weekend in Bangor.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 08:06:28 PM »
The scene with Elizabeth and Matthew was terrific. In full Mistress of Collinwood mode, she uses nothing but sheer force of personality to talk him out of killing Vicki. But his suspicions are too much for him, and it was a real shock to see him reach for Elizabeth's throat.

It was great when Matthew went for her throat, and [spoiler]it was just like when Angelique stops Ben later on,[/spoiler] but Liz had no powers, she just stood her ground.   The interesting thing about these Matthew scenes isn't the threats or danger to Vicki, but the thoughts we have about what's going on in Matthew's head, and what kind of person Liz must be, who can turn away her killer by force of will alone.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 10:49:21 PM »
Although it's true that Elizabeth has a stainless-steel spine, even she feels the need for a nip of brandy once she and Vicki get back to Collinwood. She makes Vicki have some too. So let's see: Vicki had a brandy a couple of days ago, then a sedative, then brandy again.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2011, 09:22:05 PM »
Golly, what a gloriously packed episode!

Yup, that scene between Elizabeth and Matthew was something.  Was Elizabeth lying when she told Matthew that nothing would happen to him?  This was before she lied by telling Matthew that she hadn't called the sheriff about Vicky's disappearance.  Matthew said, when he detected the lie about the sheriff, that Elizabeth had never lied to him before.  So, was that previous statement of Elizabeth's a lie that Matthew didn't detect?  Or, when Elizabeth told Matthew that nothing would happen to him, did she think she could shut down any further investigation of Bill's death the way she had shut down any further investigation of Roger's accident?  Did she think she could keep Matthew in check for the rest of his life?

Poor Matthew.  He was betrayed by the one person in the world whom he trusted.

So let's see: Vicki had a brandy a couple of days ago, then a sedative, then brandy again.
I was just dying to have Julia give Vicky a sedative.

We got a rehash of yesterday's episode from Vicky, and I was very happy to get it - even hoping that it wouldn't stop in midstream - because Thayer David, and later Joan Bennett, made the whole business in the cottage so interesting that I wanted to go over it again, and see what Vicky and Elizabeth would say about what happened.

Oh, gosh, Louis Edmonds knows how to make the most of the scene!  Roger's bit with Vicky was perfect.  And later, the squabble with Elizabeth had me looking forward a few months to the arrival of someone else with whom Elizabeth will have fine fights.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2011, 04:52:59 PM »
Not only all of the action, but the producers got a THIRD usage of the footage of Matthew approaching the Old House, lantern in hand!  [santa_wink]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2011, 06:00:13 PM »
Guess he keeps the lantern in his car...

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2011, 10:28:12 PM »
A nicely plotted episode.  The action moved along in the cottage at a fast pace.  Elizabeth takes charge of the situation and Matthew proves to be no match for her.  With all the plot points tying up over the Bill Malloy death, continuing the antagonism between Roger and Vickie, moving the new romance along, reaffirming the menace of Burke, and revealing that the Matthew story is not over, it all  came together.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times