Author Topic: O' Christmas Tree, O' Christmas Tree...  (Read 2385 times)

Offline Bobubas

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • The Gates of Hell.
    • View Profile
    • Bob's Dark Shadow Event Photos
O' Christmas Tree, O' Christmas Tree...
« on: December 03, 2002, 05:11:14 PM »
Hi All,

I trimmed out my tree last week prior to Thanksgiving, and thought I would share a photo of it here. Maybe some of you would like to share a photo of your trimmed tree here as well. :)

As you can see from the photo, I have used my 6" Island of Misfit Toy beanies as the focal ornaments.  The animated version of Rudolph theRed Nosed Reindeer ranks in my top 3 of holiday movies. The other two would be "A Christmas Carol" (The version starring Reginald Owen) and "It's A Wonderful Life"

The big goldish/white ornament to the right of Santa is the only Dark Shadows contribution to the tree. It was given to me as a gift a few years ago from Beth Massie. She hand painted the logo and drew a snowy scene with dead trees and bats flying in the air. The reverse side of the ornament says "Have yourself a scarly little Christmas 99 "
Your Focus Determines Your Reality!
Everything in Life is only for now!

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
Re: O' Christmas Tree, O' Christmas Tree...
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2002, 04:38:14 AM »
Great Tree!  Don't have the ablity to post our tree, but it is trimmed.  There seems to be a lot of Mickey Mouse ornaments on our tree.  The rest of the house is in progress.  It has been a tradition in our house to trim the tree and eat bugels and dip.  

I think Rudoph is just about everyones favorite, and I think it is on Friday night.  Of course, I won't be home two parties to go to.  

My favorite holiday movies are A Wonderful Life and the old Holiday Inn.    Muppets at the Fozzie Bear's mom's house is also a keeper.
I wish Dark Shadows had celebrated the holidays.  I always loved when Days of Our Lives gathered at the Horton House for Christmas and hung the ornaments.

Birdie
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2002, 06:11:14 AM »
Cute tree, Bob!  :D

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2002, 11:31:09 AM »
Hi Bob, your tree is gorgeous![thumb] What a nice idea to decorate with all misfit beanies!  I just have one question though.  What is the figure that's adorning the top of your tree? The reason why Im asking is because my daughter collects beanies and I've never seen that particular one before so Im just curious.

I've always loved Rudolf and I can remember so well how my family and I would gather around the TV to watch it when I was a child.  When my girls were little, they watched it too.  You never outgrow it!  Another favorite of course is "It A Wonderful Life."  I love these two classics.

Thanks for sharing your Christmas tree picture Bob. I'll try to post a picture of mine when I FINALLY get it up.

Cassandra[/font]
"Calamity Jane"

Online Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2002, 12:22:54 PM »
Now that's a tree!  Mine is just a four-foot tabletop with nothing more than blue and silver ornaments (and lights, of course).  I like trees either very elaborate (like yours) or very simple.  Being in a lazy mood this year, I opted for simple.

Along with A Charlie Brown Christmas and How the Grinch Stole Christmas, Rudolph is one of my TV faves.  However, I could never stand Frosty the Snowman.  Those kids, especially that girl, irked me to no end, even when I was a kid.

Gerard

Connie

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2002, 03:31:15 PM »
Wow...I can't imagine having a tree this early.  We're lucky if it's decorated a couple of days before Christmas!  If we got one now, the needles would all be fallen off by the time Santa arrived.  It'd look like a Charlie Brown Christmas tree.

[eek]

Offline Carol

• * Fiction Filly *
    Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • New York Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2002, 03:50:30 PM »
Your tree is absolutely lovely! We've downsized to a tabletop fiberoptic tree with cat ornaments. When our daughter came home from college last Xmas & saw what we had resorted to, she burst out crying. She wanted the real, 6 foot Fraser fir with the odd assortment of ornaments back. Up until that year we had always gotten a live tree but we're happy with the fiberoptic one and will keep it. Less fuss, less muss. I'd rather spend Xmas on a beach somewhere.
carolinamooon

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream" - Edgar Allan Poe

Offline Bobubas

• Full Poster
  • The Gates of Hell.
    • View Profile
    • Bob's Dark Shadow Event Photos
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2002, 04:06:27 PM »
Hi Bob, your tree is gorgeous![thumb] What a nice idea to decorate with all misfit beanies!  I just have one question though.  What is the figure that's adorning the top of your tree? The reason why Im asking is because my daughter collects beanies and I've never seen that particular one before so Im just curious.

Cassandra[/font]

Ah....the prize beanie of my collection.  ;D  The beanie in question, which features the Abominable holding a star that says, "Happy New Year 2000" was a special release that coincided with the new Millennium. A friend of mine who lives in Pennsylvania found it for me, as I could not find them in the stores here in Illinois.

It's nice to see so many others rate Rudolph right up there with their favorite Christmas movies. Last year I purchased a WONDERFUL book called, "Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer. The making of the holiday classic." It is written by Rick Goldschmidt, and details the making of this family classic, along with talking about other Rankin/Bass classics. It is full of vintage photos as well. I bought mine on Amazon. Below is a direct link that will take you to the page featuring the book. Just click the link.  :)
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0971308101/qid=1039006334/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_1/102-4829011-0523363
Your Focus Determines Your Reality!
Everything in Life is only for now!

Offline Lindsey

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2002, 01:03:42 AM »
I love those Rudolph beanies! My mom bought them last year and has been wondering what to do with them since then. What a great idea!
My favorite Christmas movie would have to be A Christmas Story, with Ralphie and the red rider bb gun. I watch that all year round!

-Lindsey
"What is the truth?" 
"That I love you.  No matter how much I fight my feelings, I will always love you."
                          -Barnabas and Angelique 1840

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2002, 04:17:33 AM »
I love the Island of Misfit Toys figures. I'd love to have those for my tree, too.

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2002, 04:18:14 AM »
You know Bob my kids have all those beanies and watch rudolph and play along with them and the movie!i never thought about them on the tree! cute idea!
Christmas story is one of my favs also STUCK, STUCK, STUCK is just too funny and Darren McGavin is great! thanks for sharing!!
jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Misty

• Full Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2002, 06:30:34 AM »
What a wonderful tree, Bob. I have two huge baskets filled with beanies------great idea to use them on a tree. My tree is decorated with ornaments that I've collected in my travels. This year I think I'll add some beanies to the collection. However, I too won't get to trimming a tree until probably Christmas Eve. (As a child, our tree never went up until Christmas Eve because Santa brought it!)  Many thanks for sharing yours,

Misty
" Small things amuse small minds"--------at least my students have been led to believe!

Offline The Ghost of Sarah Collins

• Senior Poster
  • Do You Know My Brother Barnabas...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2002, 06:49:25 AM »
A very lovely decorated tree it is Bob, you have a flair with Christmas trees....

*
                                                                                                *@*
                                                                @*@*@
                                                        *@*@*@*
                                                   @*@**@*@
                      *@**@**@**@
                    @**@**@**@**@
                  *@*@*@*@*@*@**@
           @**@**@**@**@**@**
                                                                                                 | |
           ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~~~~~
The Ghost of Sarah Collins (1784-1795)
Sister to Barnabas...@}{~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"That evil is wicked is well understood,
the wicked are punished so you must be good"
(Sarah to Barnabas)

Offline Julianka7

• Senior Poster
  • Collinwood casts a long shadow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2002, 07:47:14 AM »
What a cute tree Bob :)
I've got the whole set of those beanies too.
Julianka

Offline scout75

• Full Poster
  • "Sociopathic spinster!" "Histrionic fop!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2002, 09:53:19 AM »
Great tree, Bob.

Have a cool yule!

[pimp]
BARNABAS: Here at Collinwood, old hates don't die. They lie in wait for the innocent and unsuspecting...

QUENTIN: We're guaranteed to make you believe (spells) exist. Our entire family can be explained in no other way...