Author Topic: Happy Birthday Jonathan Frid!!!  (Read 2190 times)

Offline murph

• Full Poster
  • I love Dark Shadows!!
    • View Profile
Happy Birthday Jonathan Frid!!!
« on: December 02, 2002, 03:14:40 PM »
Today, December 2nd is Jonathan Frid's 78th birthday!!

As one of the millions of kids who ran home to watch this show in the late 60's and early 70's, for me anyway Barnabas was and is my favorite character on the show.  I loved the chemistry between Jonathan and Lara.  Angelique was the witch I loved to hate.

In my opinion he deserves the long career he has enjoyed.

I thought in honor of Jonathan's birthday we could list a few of our favorite scenes that included Barnabas/Bramwell.

Spoiler alert!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My favorites are:
Barnabas and Willie in the secret room of the Mausaleum, Barnabas realizes that Willie has betrayed him by telling Vicki, Burke and Sam that they should look for Maggie in the cemetary.  Willie of course denies he did anything but Barnabas isn't buying it.  The evil in his eyes is amazing.  He takes his cane and beats Willie with it.  A very powerful and disturbing scene.

Angelique's death scene in 1840 when Barnabas realizes his love for her.  I know a lot of people don't buy this storyline but they are my two favorite characters so I loved it.

1841 PT, Bramwell has "kidnapped" Catherine (Lara Parker) she's is laying on his bed on her back and he looks to be buttoning his pants and he asks her if she's angry with him and she says she could never be angry with him.  Several episodes later we learn that Catherine is pregnant with Bramwell's child.  As an eleven year old this scene must have gone right over my head but watching it about two years ago I was struck at how daring that scene was for it's time.  This episode first aired in 1971.  I for one enjoyed the 1841 PT storyline a lot more than the Adam/Eve.  

Happy birthday Jonathan and thanks for the memories!!!

Murph

Offline TERRY308

• Senior Poster
  • The real Mrs. Collins.
    • View Profile
Re: Happy Birthday Jonathan Frid!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2002, 04:09:08 PM »
I agree!  Happy Birthday Jonathan.  

May you have many more.  Your eyes did sparkle with evilness, the scene(s) with Willie was absolutely great.  But the one that got me, and still does, is the one on 1840, when you finally realize, that you really do love Angelique.....and then she dies!  So she never got to hear you.  

So Happy Birthday Jonathan.  
You were and still are my favorite on DS.  And after reading your book, you are a great man, acting or non-acting.
Cassandra:  I have a potion.  You know it well.  As soon as she drinks it, within an hour, she will go to sleep and have the dream.
Nicholas:  I am much to talented to spend my time drugging drinks.

Offline onyx_treasure

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2002, 06:06:49 PM »
Happy Birthday to Mr. Frid
    My favorite Barnabas scenes are too many so I'll just pick one at random.
    When he goes to Angelique's bedroom for "the old lets be friends" routine and they end up in a passionate embrace.  If that same scene were done on todays soaps, they would have ended up in the sack.
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life--music and cats.  Albert Schweitzer

Offline Cassandra Blair

• Full Poster
  • Hey sailor, how 'bout I light your Lucky?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2002, 09:10:16 PM »
Happy Birthday to Jonathan Frid - who scared the heck out of me as a child, and whose portrayal of the reluctant vampire continues to be a source of delicious chills today!

For my favorite scene just now (there are too many to narrow it down to an all time fave), I will go with the discussion Barnabas and Julia had about Willie, who was in a coma following his attempt to kidnap/warn Maggie - "He clings to life with a leech-like persistence!"  LOL
My lady abandoned heaven, abandoned earth...to Ray's Wig World she descended.

Offline Julianka7

• Senior Poster
  • Collinwood casts a long shadow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2002, 11:33:23 PM »
Happy Birthday J. F. !!!!!!!!!!!!!
This is a good idea Murph :)
As others have said there are so many favorite
scenes to chose from.
So I'm going with Barnabas killing and getting
cursed by Angelique.
And Barnabas torturing Rev. Trask.
Julianka

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2002, 11:37:39 PM »
Happy 78 Jonathan!  I guess those who wish to send birthday wishes in a place where he may actually see them can try writing in the guestbook on his website.

There are far too many favorite scenes for me to choose just one--I'm not good at choosing "a favorite" anyway--but one that really sticks in my memory is, I believe, the last scene of his first complete episode on the show, where he stands in the ruins of the Old House and claims his own life back from the ghosts.

It's such a powerful scene, and the way his voice cracks could very well have been nerves, but if so--stunning how the crack came at the apposite moment, emotionally.

Another one that I have to mention is how beautifully he played the scene in the short lived 1995 sequence where he tells Julia, who has a brief moment of clarity under Gerald's thrall, that he won't leave her--"Not without you.  Never without you."  The quiet dignity with just an edge of pathos in his voice gets me every time I play the tape of that scene.

Steve

Offline MikeS

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2002, 12:54:37 AM »
Like many others, I have so many favorite Barnabas scenes that it's hard to single out just one.  One of my favorites is the final scene between Barnabas and Joshua in the 1795 story.  Very emotional, and excellent acting by Frid.

Happy Birthday Jonathan!!

Offline kuanyin

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2002, 01:20:04 AM »
One scene? Well, the one that comes to mind is early in the show when Barney spellbinds Vicky with the tale of Josette. Very fine that.
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline Misty

• Full Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2002, 01:24:50 AM »
Happy Birthday Jonathan!  I loved every scene in which you appeared-----even the bloopers. I am especially fond of the scene in which you try to explain to Willy the kind of life you must lead as a vampire.  I also must count as one of my favorites the final scene with Angelique.
 I hope your birthday is a happy one and I wish you many more.

Devoted fan--------Misty
" Small things amuse small minds"--------at least my students have been led to believe!

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2002, 03:10:57 AM »
Happy Birthday Mr. Frid,

Favorite scene, too hard for me.  

His tender visit to a dying Sarah,

The scene with David in the Old House when David is talking about sun rise and the wistful look on his face.

too many more.

Birdie
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth

Offline tripwire

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2002, 04:30:34 AM »
happy birthday Mr. Frid, you have delighted thousands with your performances, 95 per cent with good ones, and 5 per cent with uh  well, *looking for cue card* the other ones....best scene, agree with kuyanan, the story of Josette he tells to V and C ... Also Cass B  , that is a great scene, and a minute later he comes up with "next you will be telling me of his miraculous recovery, and is now writing his memoirs."
its a sudden death that i know, my father wrote me to say that, my cousin, uncle jeremiah was, was very disturbed.

Offline Maria_Merriweather

• Full Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2002, 04:42:29 AM »
Happy Birthday Jonathan Frid!  We have him to thank for many happy memories watching Dark Shadows.[vampy]  My favorite scene is the one where he describes the Old House as it was to Vicky.[ghost]
MM

Offline victoriawinters

• Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2002, 11:32:03 AM »
i can't single out a single scene over another one.  i think jonathan is a fine actor and i wish i could have seen some of the Shakespeare performances.  i would probably cry the whole time just like i do when i watch our show sometimes.

well sorry to get posting so late in the day here or night as the case may be, but i'm here now to wish jonathan a very happy birthday.

i also put together a montage - collage in honor of his birthday and here is the link...

HappyBirthdayJonathanFrid

so this is my first big attempt with adobe photoshop elements so please be patient with me.  i will be practicing more as time goes on.

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2002, 11:41:36 AM »
Happy Birthday Jonathan!!

There are so many scenes to pick from so I'll try to narrow them down.

One of my favorites was when Angelique comes to his room in 1795 and tells him that "she is his servant and he is her master!"  That was such a hot scene between the both of them and the chemistry between them was great!

I also loved the very emotional scene in which Sarah dies in his arms after telling him that she loves him. A very sad & emotional scene!

Another one I liked was when he goes to Julia's room to plan on killing her after he realizes that she knows what he is! A very tense & suspenseful scene between the two of them as Julia tries to reason with him on how she can be of help to him if he lets her help him.

Cassandra[/font]
"Calamity Jane"

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2002, 12:01:46 PM »
Love the collage victoriawinters. Breathtaking! And superbly done. And the whole birthday concept is a lovely gesture.

Oh! And happy birthday Mr. Frid! Thank you for sharing your talent with us. So happy you decided to become an actor. You are marvelous.

dom

PS - vw, I've had AP for several years and have not gotten any farther then being able to crop and sharpen, bravo to you!