Author Topic: DS Festival 2003  (Read 9722 times)

Offline Craig_Slocum

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Cute Craig
    • View Profile
    • Cheryl's Dark Shadows
Re: DS Festival 2003
« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2002, 10:45:01 PM »
Have fun all! Sorry I won't get to meet some of you. I have decided I am not going.
Cheryl,

Craig Slocum's #1 Fan

Nancy

« Reply #46 on: November 03, 2002, 11:06:28 PM »

With all the conveniences near Times Square, why choose a hotel out of the way of everything?

Hi Carol. Choosing hotels for events also has to do with what price breaks a hotel is willing to give for blocks of rooms for a convention or large gathering.  I have heard from various sources that the Marquis in Times Square will discount rooms but to the tune of over $200 a night which most fans could not afford. In fact, which most people without an expense account could not afford.

Nancy

Offline Carol

• * Fiction Filly *
    Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • New York Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 03, 2002, 11:40:41 PM »

Hi Carol. Choosing hotels for events also has to do with what price breaks a hotel is willing to give for blocks of rooms for a convention or large gathering.  I have heard from various sources that the Marquis in Times Square will discount rooms but to the tune of over $200 a night which most fans could not afford. In fact, which most people without an expense account could not afford.
Nancy

Hi Nancy! I understand about conventions needing blocks of space and I didn't mean to imply that it should be in Times Square per se. I just wondered if the powers that be checked other hotels within a wide circumference so that convenience to shopping, sightseeing, theaters wouldn't be a problem for those not familiar with NYC.
    I have driven in NYC before and its not a city to get lost in--what with so many one way streets leading you away from where you want to go--that finding Brooklyn would be a major problem for me without someone riding shotgun with directions.
    And I do know about finding the right hotel price. We've stayed in a variety using priceline.com or hotels.com. The best was the Essex House for $150 per room for the 3 of us over Thanksgiving weekend.  We were treated like royalty. This year we weren't so lucky--we're paying $289 per room for the 3 of us.

carolinamooon

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream" - Edgar Allan Poe

Offline Carol

• * Fiction Filly *
    Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • New York Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 03, 2002, 11:43:32 PM »
Accoring to Yahoo Maps. The Hotel is only about 5.5 miles for 42nd and Broadway in Times Square. Below is the trip maker it provided me with.
Directions  Miles    
1.  Start on ADAMS ST/BROOKLYN BRIDGE BLVD  0.4  
2.  Continue on BROOKLYN BRG  1.2  
3.  Continue on RAMP  0.1  
4.  Continue on CENTRE ST  0.1  
5.  Continue on CENTRE ST/FOLEY SQ  0.1  
6.  Continue on CENTRE ST  0.2  
7.  Turn Left on CANAL ST  0.6  
8.  Turn Right on HUDSON ST  0.9  
9.  Continue on 8TH AVE  0.0  
10.  Continue on 8TH AVE/ABINGDON SQ  0.1  
11.  Continue on 8TH AVE  1.0  
12.  Continue on 8TH AVE/JOE LOUIS PLZ  0.1  
13.  Continue on 8TH AVE  0.5  
14.  Turn Right on NEW 42ND ST/W 42ND ST  0.2  
15.  Continue on W 42ND ST  0.0  

Thanx, Bobubas. I printed this out so I can try to find  this area when we go down at Thanksgiving.  I need trail runs before I can do this on my own.
carolinamooon

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream" - Edgar Allan Poe

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 04, 2002, 12:13:38 AM »

Have fun all! Sorry I won't get to meet some of you. I have decided I am not going.

sorry to hear that Cheryl i was looking foward to meeting you and seeing all your Craig S info
Hope you change your mind!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 04, 2002, 12:15:59 AM »

Nancy

that does sound like a lot Nancy thanks for the info
i may take the bus from Boston to make things easier!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #51 on: November 04, 2002, 03:47:57 AM »

Nancy

$200?????  That's a far cry from the good old days, when the Fest rate for rooms at the Marquis was only $99/night.

In any event, I think that I shall approach the new location with Victoria Winters-ish spunk, boldly marching into the unknown, meeting people who are strangers but will soon fill the days and nights of my tomorrows... :D

Regards,

John

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 04, 2002, 04:27:17 AM »
Fortunately, this is only a subway ride for me.  From work, it is a three station ride.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 04, 2002, 04:31:11 AM »
In any event, I think that I shall approach the new location with Victoria Winters-ish spunk, boldly marching into the unknown, meeting people who are strangers but will soon fill the days and nights of my tomorrows... :D

I like your attitude, John!

We'll all meet up, and soon you'll find yourself in a sea of familiar faces. :)

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 04, 2002, 04:37:52 AM »
Fortunately, this is only a subway ride for me.  From work, it is a three station ride.

Hey lucky you Joey i may need directions!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Nancy

« Reply #55 on: November 04, 2002, 07:44:17 AM »

$200?????  That's a far cry from the good old days, when the Fest rate for rooms at the Marquis was only $99/night.

Regards,

John

Yeah, that certainly is high.  Of course the more convenient a location, the more it's going to cost.  The entire Times Square area has undergone a major revamping over the past few years and that has led to higher prices for rents in the area.   Hotels raised their prices (hotel tax alone is ridiculous).   I know someone who had a small business function he wanted to have at the Marquis (and had there once before) and even the supposed discounts he was being offered were way higher than before and he simply could not do it.  

Once you know which subway to take from Brooklyn into midtown it's really not a big deal.   All that information can be obtained at the hotel. I imagine to that if like four people want to go into midtown, you can share the cost of a cab too.

Nancy

Nancy

« Reply #56 on: November 04, 2002, 07:46:31 AM »

that does sound like a lot Nancy thanks for the info
i may take the bus from Boston to make things easier!

jennifer

Take the bus to Port Authority (42nd Street) and take the subway from there. I don't know which subway line that is off hand but if you call the hotel they will tell you which line(s) to use.  

Nancy

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 04, 2002, 08:23:14 AM »
I think it's the RR, Nancy. (But don't take my word for it). I lived on West 72nd and Central Park West (in the latter 70s - more commonly known as Dom's Grace Jones period, lol) and offered to house sit for a workmate in Brooklyn once. It was the longest train ride in mass transit history (not to mention the longest train). I'm almost certain that it crossed the river via the undercarriage of the Brooklyn Bridge (is that even possible?). The train had to travel about five miles an hour because of it's length and weight. It was a torturous ride - on a full train - in summer - with my infant son in tow. The best part of the trip was all the "old ladies" who gave me free advise on how to care for him. I mentioned he had a rash and I got five different cures from five different women. The best part was that every time one of them would off board, the rest would say she didn't know what she was talking about. The last lady remaining had suggested cornstarch, so I went with that, lol. Uh, where was I? Oh yeah, I think it's the RR. (But don't take my word for it.) ;D

Nostalgic platforms wearing dom

Offline victoriawinters

• Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #58 on: November 04, 2002, 10:16:35 AM »
I really want to..but a little nervous about the whole thing. Everyone seems to know everyone there.

good then we'll be in good company together!  i've only been to one fest so far myself.

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 04, 2002, 11:04:43 AM »

Take the bus to Port Authority (42nd Street) and take the subway from there. I don't know which subway line that is off hand but if you call the hotel they will tell you which line(s) to use.  

Nancy

Thanks Nancy, this is good advice!

I wasn't too crazy about going to Brooklyn at first because for me a 20 minute ride to N.Y. City has suddenly turned into an hour drive or so (with traffic) out to Brooklyn.  So, I just might take your advice and hop on a subway instead of driving.  

I'd really love to go since this would be my first time also and it would be great to get to meet everyone! ;-)
"Calamity Jane"