Author Topic: DS Festival 2003  (Read 9722 times)

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re: DS Festival 2003
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2002, 05:05:20 PM »
BROOKLYN??   I gotta drive to Brooklyn???

[shckd] Drive to BROOKLYN?!!

You'd have to book me in the same room with John Karlen to get me to DRIVE to Brooklyn! ::)

Raineypark
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Nancy

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2002, 05:13:09 PM »
[lghy] You are too too much, Rainey.

The best thing about this deal is that parking down there is much much cheaper than midtown or even down near Wall Street.  I believe there are numerous food choices but for those of us who planned on doing back to back theater during the festival, it's a bit of a drag.:(

Nancy

[shckd] Drive to BROOKLYN?!!

You'd have to book me in the same room with John Karlen to get me to DRIVE to Brooklyn! ::)

Raineypark

Nancy

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2002, 05:27:55 PM »
Nancy,

Apparently,  you don't know me and see that I am just having a little bit of FUN with that comment. If I had a serious accusation to make it surely would NOT be here.  Hmmm...Looks like I am misunderstood and I think I will terminate  my posting on this board, where there is no sense of humor.

We've had this discussion before about clarifying your supposedly humorous remarks.  However, smiley face following the remark or not, let's remember something.

The people who actually put on the festivals and produce DS merchandise are real people and not fictional characters like the ones who are fair game here to be discussed and dissected at length.  It's important to be able to separate fictional characters from real people.  Remarks such as yours reflect on real people with professional reputations to uphold.  MPI, for example, is one of Jim Pierson's employers.  This is no secret since he is listed as a producer on their DS and nonDS videos.  MPI reads this board and occasionally posts here.  Would you want your employer to read comments on a public board alluding that you might be a thief? I won't even go into the legal implications.

I raise money for charities too and would not find it in the least amusing that anyone publicly implied in my target market that I did not give money to the stated charities.  You don't know who is reading your remarks here and you are unknown to them.  I also have a particular kind of humor that I have to be careful how it might come across in print to people who don't know me. Most people here on the board have never met me or interacted with me in any way other than here.  So, based on previous experience, I am careful to not allow for misinterpretation.

Someone made the mistake of thinking you looked like Bathia Mapes at a recent event, and I noticed your sense of humor was not in play there.;)

Nancy

Offline Bobubas

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • The Gates of Hell.
    • View Profile
    • Bob's Dark Shadow Event Photos
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2002, 05:32:30 PM »
Nancy,

Apparently,  you don't know me and see that I am just having a little bit of FUN with that comment.

I've known Jim Pierson for 12 years, and I know if he were, or is reading this message board, he would not find any humor in seeing his name posted in such a manner.
Let me list a few of the charities that have benefitted from donations from the Dark Shadows Festival: The Actors Fund, AmFar, WNYC,Saint John's Hospital and Health Center, American Cancer Society, National Trust for Historic Preservation,and the Los Angeles branch of the "Make A Wish" Foundation.
 My source for this information are reprinted thank you letters from these organizations found in the Dark Shadows Festival Memory Book 1983-1993
Your Focus Determines Your Reality!
Everything in Life is only for now!

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2002, 05:35:55 PM »
BTW, if you recall (you seem to have great recollection of my posts), I also said that Information on the Internet is not always valid.
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2002, 06:35:33 PM »
Okay, let's stop this back and forth, please.  I believe the point has been clarified that VAM intended for her comment to be a joke, yet I hope she can also see that the POV expressed by others was well-intentioned-- the point being that when we're making a joke that could reflect poorly on the reputation of someone else, particularly someone in the public eye, we should be mindful that our comments can be easily mistaken by some readers to be fact.  So before making a joke, it's a good idea for all of us to first think about whether it can be misinterpreted by someone else.  So rather than react emotionally, please think about this: libel does apply to what we say on the internet, and being reminded of this is a good thing.

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2002, 07:16:10 PM »
I just took a peek at the Brooklyn Marriott and it's really gorgeous!  If you haven't seen it or been to the site yet, here's the URL:

http://www.marriott.com/epp/default.asp?MarshaCode=NYCBK

CastleBee ~ already counting the days!
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Nancy

« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2002, 07:25:49 PM »

I've known Jim Pierson for 12 years, and I know if he were, or is reading this message board, he would not find any humor in seeing his name posted in such a manner.
Let me list a few of the charities that have benefitted from donations from the Dark Shadows Festival: The Actors Fund, AmFar, WNYC,Saint John's Hospital and Health Center, American Cancer Society, National Trust for Historic Preservation,and the Los Angeles branch of the "Make A Wish" Foundation.
 My source for this information are reprinted thank you letters from these organizations found in the Dark Shadows Festival Memory Book 1983-1993

Thanks for pointing that out, Bob.  The festival has also donated money in memory of deceased actors who were active with the festivals. I imagine they will probably do the same with Dennis Patrick.

A good idea for anyone who wonders whether or not an organization has indeed followed through with giving to a charity, you can call that charity and ask.  Allow at least six to eight weeks to go by after the event for the charity to receive the money and post it to their database.  There is certainly nothing wrong with checking up and ensuring an organization is indeed giving the money they are claiming to be raising money for.  In fact, it's a good idea.

Nancy

Offline Craig_Slocum

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Cute Craig
    • View Profile
    • Cheryl's Dark Shadows
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2002, 07:56:54 PM »

I know he would not like it all, hope he doesn't read it.
Cheryl,

Craig Slocum's #1 Fan

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2002, 08:09:57 PM »
The subject of VAM's comment has been settled, so anything else that needs to be said about it can be taken off the forum.  Thanks!

Connie

« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2002, 03:19:53 AM »
Midnite,  (how ARE you my dear?)  LOL

I know you just asked that nothing else be said, but
could you just indulge me for a moment????

I just read all this stuff and I was like....OH MY GOD!!!
I don't believe it!  When I saw the Jim Pierson fund comment I smiled.  Ya know how I took it?  That the poor guy NEEDS a fund for all the hard work he puts in.  I swear, the other angle didn't occur to me - probably because I know nothing of the inner workings of the Fests and how the proceeds are used.  I just knew that a lot of charities are the beneficiaries and for instance, the proceeds of David Selby's books go to organizations that help the homeless in southern California.  (I WOULD know that, wouldn't I)...LOL

Anyway, after reading everyone's comments, then I COULD see how it might be taken another way.  It's rather disquieting to realize all the different ways of interpreting posts.  I start wondering...oh jeez, what have I posted in the past that could be taken badly, or in some way that never occurred to me!  I'm a bit nervous about posting what I think, or letting myself get ridiculous for fear of starting some sort of mess.
The fear of offending, or really hurting someone really upsets me and I think I know how Vam is feeling.

Anyway, all I saw was that I posted something silly, and Vam responded with something silly and that was it, ya know?  Oh - and by the way....am I losing my touch here, or what?  I thought the scenerio with Roger Davis mud wrestling with Marie Wallace, and her creaming him, was rather amusing (poetic justice).  Nobody liked it?  LOL  Ahem...  8)

love
CLC

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2002, 04:03:22 AM »
Oh - and by the way....am I losing my touch here, or what?  I thought the scenerio with Roger Davis mud wrestling with Marie Wallace, and her creaming him, was rather amusing (poetic justice).  Nobody liked it?  LOL  Ahem...  8)

Now THAT I'll talk about-- I thought your mud wrestling scenario was hysterical.  So nope, you haven't lost your touch at all!

Offline CrazyJenny

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2002, 04:08:18 AM »
Anyone who knows me knows I'll be there come rain or shine(every year since I was 12).  Besides, the last day is my birthday.  What better way to celebrate than in NYC?

:-)
"PEOPLE CAN FORGET WHAT YOU SAY AND WHAT YOU DO BUT THEY WILL NEVER FORGET HOW YOU MADE THEM FEEL."

Offline Brian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2002, 05:30:17 AM »
I'm ignoring the charity comments and such, and only want to say that I am planning to attend next year's Fest.  It'll be my ten year anniversary since attending the 1993 Fest at the Marquis.  Can't wait to finally meet some of y'all.

Brian

Offline The Ghost of Sarah Collins

• Senior Poster
  • Do You Know My Brother Barnabas...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2002, 07:51:09 AM »

Let me list a few of the charities that have benefited from donations from the Dark Shadows Festival: The Actors Fund, AmFar, WNYC,Saint John's Hospital and Health Center, American Cancer Society, National Trust for Historic Preservation,and the Los Angeles branch of the "Make A Wish" Foundation.

Wow! Thank you Bob, I am glad to hear Jim Pierson is doing such a grand job! and that our Dark Shadows festivals are helping so many charities... makes me feel very proud indeed! I have met Jim while volunteering, he is the busiest person there, I also see how much he enjoys what he does.
Jim has always been very polite to me.

Should you be reading this Jim.. keep up the great work!
I hope to volunteer for the 2004 festival.  :)
The Ghost of Sarah Collins (1784-1795)
Sister to Barnabas...@}{~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"That evil is wicked is well understood,
the wicked are punished so you must be good"
(Sarah to Barnabas)