Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0994  (Read 1042 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0994
« on: October 12, 2015, 12:10:11 AM »
Robservations #994

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0994

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2015, 10:33:00 PM »
VO probably by Jared Holmes, whose voice we never hear as Daemeon Edwards.  Posthumous welcome to Daemeon Edwards in a proto-leisure-suit, years before they actually came along.  DE is dead in a chair in the Drawing Room.  Next time Q enters the Drawing Room, TRASK!!  Welcome, servile, unboomingly-voiced no-first-name Trask.  Connection between these two first appearances in the same spot, one right after the other? 

They play these things so straight, but of course they knew Trask would be a great big squee moment for fans.  PT was smart, a smart choice, even if I don't enjoy it so much myself.  They got to show us one big fan-friendly moment after another, where we see each character's mirror equivalent introduced one by one.  It's like a fan fantasy.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2015, 10:41:48 PM »
DE can't be responsible for all the ghost stuff, not the woman's humming, anyway.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2015, 10:45:20 AM »
Love love love Dameon's proto-leisure suit--a pale gray sort of collarless jacket that belts in front (via a button) and matching bell-bottom trousers, with a sort of mustard-colored shirt and mustard-print scarf. Bruno almost outdoes him in a maroon turtleneck with powder-blue matching weskit and bell-bottom trousers.This is quite a comedown from the good old days of 1795, which featured Naomi's gorgeous gowns. Ah well...

Trask, the Collins butler, has returned to Collinwood after, he tells Quentin, dealing with a “crisis” in his brother’s family. (Although Trask is the butler in parallel time, a crisis in any Trask family seems understandable.) He had wired Hoffman to say he was returning, but apparently Quentin has sent Hoffman to stay with friends [Grayson Hall was also working on House of Dark Shadows], so no one knew. Trask (in a sober, dark butler-type suit) tut-tuts about how disorderly the house has gotten in her absence. Hoffman would never have allowed the furniture to be placed differently from how Miss Angelique [he should call her Mrs. Collins] wanted it, he frets. (The fireplace is clean again--maybe Trask has been cleaning it!) While he's tidying up the fold-up liquor cabinet (a prominent feature of the drawing room), Quentin mentions seeing Dameon Edwards. Luckily Trask's back is turned so Quentin doesn't see that he almost drops a glass on hearing this news. Apparently Dameon was once an almost daily visitor at Collinwood--but about a year ago he abruptly stopped coming. I know no more than anyone else, Trask says--which is nothing. Why do you want to know, sir? Quentin says it’s sheer curiosity. He also tells Trask that Angelique’s twin, Alexis, is staying at Collinwood.

Poor Amy--up past her bedtime, surely!--sees Dameon. Quentin tells Trask about it, and it makes Trask very nervous.

Blood on the floor, bloodstained music! Was Dameon murdered at Collinwood? Quentin wonders, and well he might.

Quentin goes to the cottage to tell Bruno that Dameon is is dead--and he saw a ghost. Bruno lights a cigarette, but the gesture fails to cover his nervousness. I’m enjoying seeing you scared, Quentin comments. I think you knew Dameon was dead, and that Dameon is trying to tell us something important. Bruno says, Now if you will excuse me, I was entertaining someone very important--namely myself. You’ll never be able to take away the look on your face the first time I mentioned Dameon, Quentin says, then leaves. After he leaves, Bruno keeps playing, but is definitely upset.

Trask leaves Amy alone, and Dameon appears to her again. This time he smiles at her, then turns sad as he silently beckons her to follow him. She keeps trying to get him to talk, but he leads her through the servants’ door.  Quentin returns from baiting Bruno and finds Amy’s suitcase in the hall, but not herself. Trask comes down with the car keys. Quentin is angry that he left the little girl alone under the circumstances. They decide to search. Trask rushes back upstairs, and Quentin goes through the servants’ door.

The parallel-time Collinwood basement looks very much like its counterpart in our time, filled with dusty odds and ends. Dameon leads the way downstairs, still beckoning Amy to follow. He crosses a wide space and moves toward the back wall.

Upstairs, neither Trask nor Quentin have found Amy. Quentin yells some more, and Trask goes back upstairs. Quentin looks toward the servants’ door, wondering what is happening.

As Dameon waits for Amy near the back wall, she gets nervous. I don’t want to go any farther, she says. He beckons again--then walks directly through a niche with shelves and disappears. As she finally realizes what Dameon is, Amy screams with all her might....

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2015, 10:48:54 AM »
P.S. According to DS Wiki, Michael Stroka does the VO.

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2015, 11:11:42 PM »
Damien Edwards' yellowy leisure suit stands out almost as much as Cassandra's butterfly outfit. We learn that Damien was a daily visitor to Collinwood until he abruptly stopped showing up. No one was apparently very concerned about this. Until now. Did he haunt Collinwood prior to Angelique's death? Or is this tied to the arrival of Alexis?
Damien seems to have a score to settle with Bruno. Trask is genuinely unnerved. Damien is up to something but how does it involve Amy?
Jared Holmes seemed like a reasonably competent actor who did surprisingly little work after DS. I do recall him appearing on Another World as shady lawyer Brian Blake. Holmes committed a blooper on Another World that rivals anything I ever heard on DS. During a custody hearing, he garbled his speech by saying that Steve is the mother of Rachel's son. He tried to correct it and actually made it worse: that Rachel is the father of Steve's baby.

Daytime television at its very finest. [hall2_shocked] [hall2_rolleyes] [hall2_shocked]
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2015, 02:12:39 PM »
That's hilarious! I watched Another World for a while back in those days but not DS. Silly me.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2015, 02:16:47 AM »
Trask appears and is apparently the butler. Another difference from regular time is there are two servantsmso far and the estate manager.  Quite obvious that Trask has something to do with Damian's disappearance and that he was another of Angelique's many conquests. Damian lures Amy to the cellar where he is no doubt buried. 
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
Eps 994-995 SPOILERS
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2015, 07:30:26 AM »
If you haven't read or watched episodes 994-995 (or a few before/after), again SPOILER. (I'm not going to put this in 'spoiler').

First, Robin mentions that Trask said he's surprised about Hoffman's leave (in parenthesis, she wrote HoDS).

Second, Quentin tells Amy he's going to let her go for a visit, to the Loomis'. She said, but I wanted to stay with Chris. Chris (or the actor) wasn't in HoDS, right? So, where was he? Since they had already 'pared down' due to movie, why would he be absent?

I can't remember where Daniel is at this point.

(and oh, how the mighty have fallen; this is our first modern day Trask and he's a butler
I think he was quite elevated, at least it's honest work.

Now, about Damien Edwards (Sky, right). Again, light on 'regular' cast, why not use D.E. more?

David Hennesy wasn't in HoDS either, correct?

This was a good read! Thanks again lovely Robin :)

P.S. HAA wasn't in House either, right? So, where is he?

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2015, 11:30:45 PM »
Chris was in HODS with a name change Todd and so was David.  It seems some of David's scenes were cut in HODS. 
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times