Author Topic: Bye-Bye, Burke  (Read 1432 times)

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Bye-Bye, Burke
« on: February 07, 2002, 03:38:47 AM »
Originally posted by ProfStokes on the Dark Shadows: General Discussion Forum on February 06, 2002 at 21:38:47:

I didn't want to say anything yesterday for fear of spoilers, but now it's out in the open. David's good-bye scene in yesterday's episode was really poignant, and it reminded me of some excellent scenes between those two characters (e.g. David's first visit to Burke and the bleeder valve cover-up.) I'm glad that there was closure between them.

When I first started watching DS, it was after Mitch Ryan's tenure on the show and most of the character's more dramatic moments. Burke didn't impress me much as a noteworthy character, so I wasn't really sad to hear about his plane crash. Now that I know more about his background from the early episodes, I admit that his loss really is a shame. (Though I'll bet Roger won't be shedding any tears.) This is one of the major signs that the writers are taking a new direction. I doubt that anybody in those first months would have dreamt of disposing of Burke in such a manner.

ProfStokes

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Bye-Bye, Burke
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2002, 04:53:22 AM »
Posted by Josette on February 06, 2002 at 22:53:22:
In Reply to: Bye-Bye, Burke posted by ProfStokes on February 06, 2002 at 21:38:47:

A couple of weeks ago there was news about a plane lost in South America and searches for survivors. I think it was a small company plane. This one might have been a smaller airline's local flight, but I also figured it could have been a private thing from his company or something like that. Anyway, the real event recently seemed so similar to this and knowing that this was approaching was really "funny," but I didn't want to given anything away so soon before we saw it.

Once I knew what was to happen, I've really enjoyed that scene with David. He clearly knew what was coming, but I don't know how. Surely Sarah couldn't have known about that. Wouldn't you think that now that it's occurred, the others would remember his premonition?!

Josette
Josette

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2002, 12:10:51 PM »
Posted by Joeytrom on February 07, 2002 at 06:10:51:
In Reply to: Re: Bye-Bye, Burke posted by Josette on February 06, 2002 at 22:53:22:

At least Burke and Dr. Woodard got proper sendoff's which is not what.......[spoiler]Sam Evans got when he was killed off, not even a mention of his funeral. Unless you count Cassandra sending his ghost to rest in peace for eternity.

Roger was even sad about it![/spoiler]

Offline Linda

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dark Shadows Virtual Series
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2002, 11:48:41 PM »
Posted by Linda on February 07, 2002 at 17:48:41:
In Reply to: Bye-Bye, Burke posted by ProfStokes on February 06, 2002 at 21:38:47:

Now that I know more about his background from the early episodes, I admit that his loss really is a shame.

It was seeing the early episodes that really made me appreciate the character, too, and I would have missed Burke a lot more had Mitch Ryan continued to play him...at the risk of sounding like a broken record, Anthony George really left me cold. :)

Congrats, BTW, on your graduation! I honestly thought you were older, and I mean that as the sincerest of compliments. :)

Cheers,

Linda

Offline Linda

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dark Shadows Virtual Series
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2002, 11:51:05 PM »
Posted by Linda on February 07, 2002 at 17:51:05:
In Reply to: Re: Bye-Bye, Burke posted by Joeytrom on February 07, 2002 at 06:10:51:

[spoiler]Sam Evans got when he was killed off, not even a mention of his funeral.[/spoiler]

Yes, but as a consolation, he DID get to [spoiler]do a brief ghostly turn in those spiffy Foster-Grants.[/spoiler]
:)

Cheers,

Linda

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2006, 07:24:30 PM »
Posted by Linda on February 07, 2002 at 17:48:41:

Now that I know more about his background from the early episodes, I admit that his loss really is a shame.

It was seeing the early episodes that really made me appreciate the character, too, and I would have missed Burke a lot more had Mitch Ryan continued to play him...at the risk of sounding like a broken record, Anthony George really left me cold. :)

I totally agree with this. Both [spoiler]Woodard's and Burke's deaths[/spoiler] would have had a lot more emotional impact and drama to it if the original actors had been playing the roles. (I know Gerringer was actually the 2nd Woodard but to me he might as well have BEEN the original actor).

Offline Sunny_Collins

• Senior Poster
  • True devotion! I love, love, love dear Barnabas!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2007, 12:03:46 AM »
I'm most likely in the minority, but I liked Anthony George's portrayal of Burke. It was sad that he [spoiler]met his demise.[/spoiler] I think he was one of the more discerning characters on the show. Also, I would have liked to see him and vicki marry, as they had originally intended.  :(
Barnabas to little Sarah's ghost: "I forbid you to leave! I beg you to stay!"

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008, 12:53:38 AM »
Well, to be fair to Anthony George, I didn't dislike his portrayal of Burke entirely....I mean, I have to admit he did have a few good scenes here and there. I did enjoy his first few scenes with Vicki and the fact that [spoiler] he wanted to help stop Elizabeth's marriage to Jason by having Jason investigated.  Not to mention the verbal duel between Anthony's Burke and Barnabas at the Blue Whale.[/spoiler]

But I do think Anthony simply excelled as Jeremiah completely. I enjoyed watching the close friendship between him and Barnabas and it was sad to see their friendship completely destroyed, thanks to a certain meddling witch. [spoiler] Watching the duel between Barnabas and Jeremiah, it's definitely heart-wretching to see these once-close men, who grew up as brothers, preparing to destroy each other. [/spoiler]