Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0704  (Read 2848 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0704
« on: January 08, 2009, 09:09:44 PM »

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0704
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 10:50:39 AM »
It didn't take Barnabas long to head for the docks.

That was fast thinking on Barnabas's part, to come up with a reason why Quentin wouldn't have been able to find any Collinwood-descended Collinses in England.  In 1967, Barnabas told Elizabeth that he was the last of the English branch, but today he gave Quentin the impression that there were dozens of English Collinses, all busily hiding from the American black sheep.

So there's a portrait of Joshua? I don't think we ever see it, do we?  It seems wrong that the portrait of the man who had Collinwood built should be hidden away in the west wing while the portrait of the man who (or so the story goes) left Collinwood forever is giving the star position in the foyer, but maybe the portrait of Joshua didn't come out very well, or maybe Daniel couldn't stand the sight of it and banished it to the west wing.

I liked Edith's little bit of temper with Judith over the blanket.  It was a nice economical indication of what Judith has put up with.

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 05:40:45 PM »
In the present time, Joshua's portrait is in the Drawing Room. 

Jeremiah's is still over the fireplace in 1897 right?  Interesting that though he went from the former Collins family direct ancestor and builder of Collinwood to a second cousin of new direct ancestor Daniel Collins (and died childless), his portrait still hangs in the same place in the present time.

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 08:45:45 PM »
Later on, after Judith takes over as Mistress of Collinwood, you can see a lot of Edith in her. Judith learned from the master in how to give orders.

I liked Barnabas' shot at Quentin on his reputation. Serves Quentin right for putting that sword against Barnabas' throat. But then, Magda did sort of put it in his head with her prediction about a mysterious, troublemaking stranger arriving on the scene.

Like it or not, Barnabas is still a vampire and that bloodlust of his will get the best of him time and again. I hate that poor Sophie had to be his first victim, though. It certainly wasn't her evening with men.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2009, 11:00:49 AM »
Is it indeed?  Would that be the portrait on the right as you enter the drawing room?  (Yeah, I know, the information is here in the Forum somewhere.)

Later on, after Judith takes over as Mistress of Collinwood, you can see a lot of Edith in her. Judith learned from the master in how to give orders.
I've been thinking in the past couple of days that it's Quentin who is similar to Edith.  They both have great charm, and they both are determined to get their own way.

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2009, 05:08:14 PM »
Joshua's portrait is on the wall next to the Drawing Room window, on the side close to the camera.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 06:29:13 PM »
I think Sophie Baker/Barnes is super annoying.

Do you mean the portrait that looks a heck of a lot like Edmonds' Joshua in profile?  The one I'm thinking of is small compared to the others, is in an ornate frame, and moves around the house during the series-- in 1966 it's at the far right of the drawing room (by the booze), later it's by the drawing room window, and at some point it can also be seen by the doors to the house ... though I don't think we see it in 1897.  Fans have often referred to it as Joshua's portrait due to the resemblance, but I haven't been able to pinpoint the scene where you've said (at another time) that Barnabas says it's Joshua.  And it was not part of Liz's list as she swept around the room pointing at her ancestors ("Isaac, Jeremiah, Theodore, Benjamin").  Interestingly, we can actually pinpoint who originally sat for the portrait I described thanks to Selby D. Pearson and Louis Edmonds.

Jeremiah's is still over the fireplace in 1897 right?  Interesting that though he went from the former Collins family direct ancestor and builder of Collinwood to a second cousin of new direct ancestor Daniel Collins (and died childless), his portrait still hangs in the same place in the present time.

Isaac is above the fireplace in 1897.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2009, 06:42:46 PM »
While on the subject of Collins portraits (sometimes I can't help myself [rleyeg]), there's a large one in the foyer that Roger tells the Sheriff in an early ep is his great uncle.  It's the one that Vicki says "boo" to in a very early ep, and  in 1897 it's hanging in the same spot between the drawing room doors and the door under the stairs.  Hmm, but didn't making him Roger's great uncle mean that not only should he not be hanging anywhere in 1897, but that he should also be another sibling to Judith, Edward, et al?  [snow_huh]

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2009, 11:04:19 PM »
Yes, Roger did say it was his great-uncle Benjamin.  But Roger wasn't as well-versed in Collins family history as Elizabeth, so maybe if Liz had been around she would have corrected him.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2009, 12:21:35 AM »
Ha, you're probably right about Liz!

Sheriff Patterson guessed that that since it was Roger's great uncle, it must've been a portrait of Benjamin (which was weird), and I think Roger just looked annoyed.  So he didn't confirm or deny that it was his name.

The portraits in the drawing room during 1897 are, left to right, Jeremiah, the one we nicknamed Leonardo, Isaac, Theodore and Benjamin-- who looks nothing like the guy in the foyer.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2009, 01:59:21 AM »
Without that information, I'd have just thought the paintings came with the house, you know, like photos sometimes come with wallets...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2009, 12:47:40 PM »
Sheriff Patterson guessed that that since it was Roger's great uncle, it must've been a portrait of Benjamin (which was weird), and I think Roger just looked annoyed.  So he didn't confirm or deny that it was his name.
I had forgotten that.  Maybe Benjamin was a Quentin-like character, and Sheriff Patterson had read about him in old police logs.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2009, 07:08:09 PM »
Are we all pretending that we don't notice Petofi's box on the drawing room fireplace?   [snow_wink]

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2009, 07:16:13 PM »
Benjamin & Theodore could have been Edith's sons.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2009, 07:55:23 PM »
Are we all pretending that we don't notice Petofi's box on the drawing room fireplace?
I noticed it in episode 703, and have been meaning for the past week to throw a note about it in the Prop Project topic for the box, but I keep forgetting.[Lydia scurries off to do it before she forgets yet again.]