Author Topic: What About an Animated Dark Shadows?  (Read 3546 times)

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
What About an Animated Dark Shadows?
« on: April 23, 2005, 12:55:00 AM »
 I posted this awhile ago on the BarnabasUndead forums, and it elicited some interesting discussion.  I was wondering what folks here thought of this idea.  I think it might be a good idea if done well...

What if they did a well-done, atmospheric animated night-time Dark Shadows series (or even a series of DTVs)? I'm not talking about a kiddie cartoon. It would be a serious and dark gothic horror romance that just happens to be animated.

*The characters and settings could be animated to resemble Jonathan Frid, David Selby, Lara Parker etc..

*Many of the actors from the classic series and the '91 series could return to voice their characters, regardless of current age and location.

* The plot could take place either immediately following the events in the original show, could start up now in 2004, or could re-tell the basic story and then continue.

* The special effects would look great because they'd be animated!

* The music could be done by Robert Cobert again.

* The locations could be illustrated to look like Seaview Terrace (Collinwood), the Spratt Mansion (Old House), etc..

I wonder if this idea has ever been tossed around by Dan Curtis Productions.  I was thinking something atmospheric on, maybe, HBO.  Not a kiddie cartoon.  I think it could be cool if done right.

~Penny Dreadful~
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline dvlvan26

• Full Poster
  • DS is the Greatest Show on Earth!
    • View Profile
Re: What About an Animated Dark Shadows?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2005, 09:00:06 PM »
Hey, that sound like a fun idea!

That idea should be pitched to any of the networks on cable. That way DS may be able to appeal more to today's audience. It wolud be a good change form all the smut that is aired in this day and age.
dvlvan26, Class of 2007

Offline Bsatellite

• I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2005, 10:19:15 PM »
From an old viewer of the original DS, it would not be a bad idea. Animation nowadays is simply fantastic. as long as Animee is not used and CG is done well, you could come up with a very realistic show. I don't even think you need the original voices but in turn, they could be as close as they can be.

Offline Barnabas'sBride

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2005, 01:40:22 AM »
I wouldn't mind having an animated DS set in present time, picking up where the show left off. I think that would be fun. :)

Offline FireRose

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2005, 03:40:49 AM »
I think it would be cool... Just one thing... It needs to end up on a channel I actually can receive... Most of the time the best shows end up on some channel my cable company doesn't carry.

FireRose

Offline adrianwolfblood

• Willing love slave of Angelique forever
    • View Profile
    • My Graphics
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2005, 02:20:33 AM »
When I met Lara Parker for the first time, she was promoting her book Angelique's descent, and she did mention that they did toy with the idea of an animated version, but it was nothing more than an idea at the time. Maybe the fans ought to get a petition together for it and send it in to Dan Curtis.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2005, 03:46:27 AM »
it would be really cool if they did the show in an updated version of the live-action toy stuff of those 1960's holiday specials.like "frosty the snowman" and "rudolph the red-nosed riendeer".
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2005, 03:44:22 PM »
I've often thought that it would have been cool if they had done an animated DS on Saturday mornings in the '70s, as they did with STAR TREK.

Also, I think it would be hilarious if "Barnabas" made an appearance on THE SIMPSONS.

As for a darker, more serious animated treatment, I think it would probably be very difficult to pull off.  But I'd definitely tune in.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2005, 05:08:01 PM »
It would not be my cup of tea.

But then, I generally frown upon remakes... particularly of anything that was done to classic standards in the first place.  Despite all the bloopers and blunders, I do regard DS as a classic.  I am afraid the same could not be said of the 1990 series.

G.

Offline Barnabas'sBride

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2005, 05:22:06 PM »
I think a remake of DS, if done well could be very interesting. I was excited about the WB series, even though I adore the original to death. :) I would've watched it and hoped it was good in its own unique way.

However, an animated series wouldn't have to be a remake. It could be a continuation of the original show, because one doesn't have to worry about not having the original actors and actresses. The characters could be animated to resemble them, and with the right voice talents....I think it would be pretty cool.

Then again, whether or not a type of sequel would be a success is a whole other issue....

Offline Autumn

• I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2005, 06:57:05 PM »
A dark shadows cartoon
i love the idea,it sounds good to me
on cartoon network they have this
thing they call adult swim,that would
be a good place to have an animated
dark shadows!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2005, 09:59:54 PM »
Great idea!

I have often wondered about an animated DS, though my musings were always while watching Scooby Doo. As for a modern animated version I would be all for it.

Offline Miles

• ** Time Traveling Orphan Governess **
  • Full Poster
  • Witch Hunter Robin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2005, 08:56:21 AM »
In my opinion, any incarnation of Dark Shadows done well is a good thing.  While I'm not really sure animation is *the* medium for DS, it would probably allow for good conveyance of a really creepy gothic/horror mood.

Anyway, I don't think it's feasible at all though.  Has there ever been a serious and successful cartoon with an adult target demo?  As far as I know, the oldest they really try for is high school age males.  I don't see non-Japanese adults tuning in to watch animated Lara Parker put a spell on animated Barnabas who takes an animated bite out of... you get the idea.

That said, I think it would be kinda cool if they did go the route of reworking DS into a cartoon network type show targeted at young adults.  I mean, cool in an "Oh My God, they've horribly butchered DS" kinda way.
Three hundred and twenty years have passed since the coven sank in the dark...

Offline jeffreywj777

• Junior Poster
  • A Story of Blood Relations.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2005, 07:47:30 PM »
What a coincidence that this topic should come up. I have been doing a lot of research on Gerry Anderson and the Supermarionation shows he did in the sixties and early seventies. I just got done viewing his first series "Supercar" and I am about half way through his second series "Fireball XL5".

Althrough the DVD's I have been saying to myself " This would be a great format to revive Dark Shadows with". Given the popularity of the bobble heads for DS I don't see why this wouldn't be a natural progression. Heads for all the key characters could be created. People could be found who can emulate voices for the actors who can't or would not be interested in reprising their roles. A movie out just last year "Team America, World Police" used this process.

There is certainly enough people out there who can write storylines and minature sets would be no problem to create. Do you think there would be enough interest in the DS community to put something like this together? Just make enough money on the DVD's to cover the cost of production?

Jeff
Jeffrey

Offline Maybellique

• Full Poster
  • To HELL with canon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2005, 06:11:16 AM »
A dark shadows cartoon
i love the idea,it sounds good to me
on cartoon network they have this
thing they call adult swim,that would
be a good place to have an animated
dark shadows!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Doesn't Adult Swim mainly consist of comedic animations? Or am I missing something
there? ~DJ