Poll

Pick your three favorite Grayson Hall characterizations

Dr. Julia Hoffman (Present/1897/1840/41`)
22 (26.5%)
Countess Natalie duPres (1795/96)
13 (15.7%)
Magda Rakosi (1897)
27 (32.5%)
Hoffman (1970PT)
10 (12%)
Dr. Julia Hoffman (hoDS)
2 (2.4%)
Julia Collins (1841PT)
1 (1.2%)
Constance Collins (1680PT)
2 (2.4%)
Carlotta Drake (NoDS)
6 (7.2%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Voting closed: January 01, 2005, 05:40:06 PM

Author Topic: Three Most Favorite Grayson Hall Characterizations  (Read 4595 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Three Most Favorite Grayson Hall Characterizations
« on: December 10, 2004, 05:13:37 PM »
The forum's new system allows us to post polls in which people can make more than one choice. So, to test this new feature out, I thought it would be fun to see which of the actors' characters/versions of characters turn out to be the forum's favorites.  [santa_smiley]

After voting, please feel free to explain why you voted the way you did, or wait until after the poll expires on 01/01/05 to do so.  [santa_wink]

(And if these four polls get a good response, we'll add polls for other DS actors.)

Have fun!

ClaudeNorth

Re: Three Most Favorite Grayson Hall Characterizations
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2004, 07:54:31 PM »
Pick no more than three?  MB, you are a harsh taskmaster!  [santa_grin]

Offline Connie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2004, 05:42:52 AM »
Constance Collins (1680PT) ??

Who was that?  What episode #?  I have no recollection.

[hdscrt]
Blank space
                                Your Ad Here   ---->>

Offline Misa

• Full Poster
  • Is that you, Mr. Juggins?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2004, 07:29:34 AM »
I picked Dr Hoffman, Magda, and the Countess.

Dr. Hoffman, is just excellent, and Magda the Countess were so different ends of the spectrum. I only wish we could have gotten to see Dr. Hoffman interact with Magda. But there were too many limitations on special effects then. I loved watching all of Grayson's intereactions with the other characters when she played Magda. She really got to play all the different emotions with her. And the Countess was such a snob! Great fun. [10]

Misa

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2004, 08:55:54 AM »
Constance Collins (1680PT) ??

Who was that?  What episode #?  I have no recollection.

[hdscrt]

She was the sister of Brutus Collins who originated the curse on the family.  She was the one person he trusted.  She spied on his wife and her lover for him, etc.  There was a flashback that showed what had happened originally.
Josette

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2004, 09:30:24 AM »
One of my favorite characters that Grayson played was Hoffman from 1970 PT. She did a real nice job with the role. (Shades of Judith Anderson's Mrs. Danvers from "Rebecca"?)

I also enjoyed Grayson as Magda. Although that wig looked like it was a real pain at times, GH seemed to have enjoyed herself in the part.

And of course Miss Hoffman. Who else could pull off lighting up a cigarette in the Old House right under Barnabas' big nose?

Janet
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline Nicole

• Junior Poster
  • ...But I look so innocent
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2004, 09:59:12 AM »
Fave Grayson Hall Characters:

Magda: I absolutely love Magda. Both funny and vengeful, she was the woman scorned during this storyline and her troubles with her, lets say, hasty decision are interesting to watch..  Plus, her affection for Sandor was very sweet.  They were one of the most realistic couples on the show.

Countes Natalie du Pres: I think my Natalie love stems from when we first meet her.  Yes, she is arrogant, but her deliciously barbed quips were just too much to behold.  She was just too much fun.

Julia Hoffman PT: I liked this admittedly evil side to Julia's obessions.  She and PT Angie made such a good pair.

Honorable mention:

Dr. Julia Hoffman: I feel really bad for putting the most identifiable Grayson character outside my main three picks.  I absolutely loved her first few months on the show and she had some great moments throughout its run (namely during her altercations with Tom Jennings, the early Leviathans episodes, and most of her work during the 1840 storyline).  Why did I leave he out?  I think it was because it took me awhile to enjoy this verison of Juila.  The other three characters I caught onto quickly.  Although I've come to appreciate Dr. Hoffman, it is the aforementioned characters which I keep turning back to when I search out episodes to watch.

Nicole

Offline Connie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2004, 10:52:57 AM »
She was the sister of Brutus Collins who originated the curse on the family.... There was a flashback that showed what had happened originally.

Jeez, I've never seen this.  Maybe that's why I've always been foggy on the Brutus Collins mess.

Anyway, Magda has always gotten my #1 vote.  She is just too much.  Such a joy watching Grayson as Magda.

[hello]
Blank space
                                Your Ad Here   ---->>

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2004, 04:00:58 PM »
She was the sister of Brutus Collins who originated the curse on the family.  She was the one person he trusted.  She spied on his wife and her lover for him, etc.  There was a flashback that showed what had happened originally.

[spoiler]And lest we not forget he kills Constance by strangling her atop someone's bed (his or hers not known). . i think  Connie and Brutus were a little **too close**. . anyway that's my warped sense.  Also, to our dear Connie--Constance was only in one episode--when the retelling of that wacky curse was done--all a rush.  BUT when Grayson dies on that bed---that was great over-the-top theatre.  .she did an interview shortly after filming it and was still laughing about "that pratfall"--[/spoiler]
Julia99

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2004, 04:48:54 PM »
Well i obviously love anything Grayson. .but particular character points:

Dr Julia Hoffman--well she was the first and our intro to the Great GH.  So she's waay up there.
Magda--who can't enjoy this wild gypsy woman with the crazy hair, tamborine and love of her BIG FAT HERO Sandor?!  And who can't enjoy watching an actress have a very fun and wild time.
Natalie--I think Grayson must've liked playing the UberSnob. ."why are you called Countess?"  "I was born with the title, i'm still alive--" And that outfit when she first arrived--
PTHoffman--i've not seen this character (yet).  Judgement reserved but playing evil Grayson did well. .even for a few 1995 Julia Hoffman episodes, so i bet its good.
Constance--brief and not much going on there--they were busy cleaning out the cast closet as the show shut down, so she got this part and did what she could.  again one episode.
Carlotta Drake--i like this sinister but finely dressed and coiffed housekeeper.  I remembered this movie as a young girl wiht the woman telling of her 'past life memory' --the little girl hiding under the dining room table.

If only Pepe had showed up at Collinwood. .
 [8_2_74] [8_2_74] [8_2_74] [8_2_74] [8_2_74] [8_2_74]
Julia99

Offline Sandor

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2004, 07:15:14 PM »
I cast my vote for Magda, Dr. Hoffman and PT Hoffman. Though, it was tough to narrow it down to 3. Grayson played all her roles with such relish.
My favorite lines from Grayson that come to mind:

(as MAGDA, to the doomed Quentin): "You HAVE no future..."
(as DR. HOFFMAN, in a rattled moment): "You always win, don't you, Barnabas?!"

Offline Heather

• Senior Poster
  • It's an Orbach's, darling...
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2004, 01:42:24 AM »
If only Pepe had showed up at Collinwood. .
 [8_2_74] [8_2_74] [8_2_74] [8_2_74] [8_2_74] [8_2_74]

Absolutely... !!!    [8_2_59]    [8_2_74]

Pepe and Judith forever, damnit...

[santa_kiss]

W: http://hrh22.home.comcast.net

In case you didn't realize....Julia rules!  :-*

Offline Heather

• Senior Poster
  • It's an Orbach's, darling...
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2004, 01:52:16 AM »
I cast my vote for Magda, Dr. Hoffman and PT Hoffman. Though, it was tough to narrow it down to 3. Grayson played all her roles with such relish.

Wow... I picked the very same, Sandor.  [santa_thumb]   Too eerie... ::twilight zone music playing in the background::   [santa_cheesy]

To be really fair the poll would have to include all her roles...pick as many as you fancy. Gotta love her - who wouldn't, ya know?    [santa_evil]

W: http://hrh22.home.comcast.net

In case you didn't realize....Julia rules!  :-*

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2004, 05:16:00 AM »
My favorite lines from Grayson that come to mind:

(as MAGDA, to the doomed Quentin): "You HAVE no future..."
(as DR. HOFFMAN, in a rattled moment): "You always win, don't you, Barnabas?!"

Wasn't the line "I never win with you do I?"  when he shoved the 1895 frock at her and said they were staying in the past .. but then again maybe she said the other line too.  .the girl couldn't win!  pigheaded man ..she was usually right--
Julia99

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2004, 09:38:50 AM »
To be really fair the poll would have to include all her roles...pick as many as you fancy. Gotta love her - who wouldn't, ya know?    [santa_evil]

I love GH, too. And it was very hard to narrow down my three favorites. But, umm - if voters could make as many choices as they wanted, obviously that would *completely* defeat the purpose of these polls, which is discovering people's *MOST* favorite DS characters/versions of characters among these actors' roles. The Graysonholics would vote for every one of her DS roles and it would quickly turn to being *impossible* to get a result that would approach anything like a "favorite". So, the only way to be fair IS to limit the number of choices - no matter how hard it might be to make those choices. And, actually, the harder the choices are to make the better the results because then they really do reflect the favorites.  [wink2]