Author Topic: Joan Bennett in "Scarlet Street".....  (Read 1307 times)

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Joan Bennett in "Scarlet Street".....
« on: June 16, 2004, 03:29:23 AM »
....was on the Metro Channel this afternoon.  No idea if that 's even available outside the NY metro area.

What a superbly nasty peice of work she is in THAT film.

Too bad they never gave her a chance to play that bitchy a role on DS.....she'd have been a delight to watch!

Judith, rousting her brothers out of bed to show them who's boss after Grandmamama dies, hardly qualifies!   
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
Re: Joan Bennett in "Scarlet Street".....
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2004, 10:01:16 AM »
Yes, this is a marvelous film. I've seen it several times myself. "The Woman in the Window" is another of her pictures that is similar to to this one. Joan Bennett was a terrific actress. I believe the Arts & Entertainment channel runs both of these movies from time to time.

Janet
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2004, 04:26:51 AM »
I've never seen either movie listed on any station in the years I've had cable.  However, a cut rate DVD of "Scarlet Street" is available for about $7.  Haven't watched it yet though.  Leonard Maltin rates "Woman in the Window" higher, but it isn't available on VHS or DVD.

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2004, 09:21:37 PM »
I've seen both. So far the favorite is Scarlet Street. I think it's the fact that she plays a tramp so very well--I remember being surprised at how good she is in that kind of a part. There's something about the way she's spitting grape peels (or cherry pits, the print quality is bad) across the room that gets me every time.
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2004, 09:37:51 PM »
There's something about the way she's spitting grape peels (or cherry pits, the print quality is bad) across the room that gets me every time.

I've never seen Scarlet Street, but that description has gotten me VERY curious to see it.  ;)

Offline Sandor

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2006, 03:24:46 AM »
I just rented and watched the newly restored "Scarlet Street" on DVD - and Joan Bennett was great as the scheming femme fatale. It was fun to see her play a character so distant from her roles on DS. And she was quite a looker in 1945 - her boyfriend in the film called her "lazy legs." Two thumbs up for Joan. Now the hunt is on for "Woman In The Window" on DVD.