Author Topic: Semi OT: "The Skull" (1965)  (Read 955 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Semi OT: "The Skull" (1965)
« on: June 05, 2008, 03:49:29 PM »
Fans of classic British horror films, and fans of the DS Judah Zachery storyline, will want to see the new DVD release of the 1965 Amicus studios production, "The Skull."  The movie boasts a stellar cast that includes Uncle Peter Cushing in the lead, Uncle Christopher Lee as a wealthy aristocratic occultist, the unjustly neglected Patrick Wymark as a seedy dealer in occult relics, and juicy roles for Michael Gough and Patrick Magee.  The score by Elizabeth "twelve-tone Lizzie" Lutyens is evocative of Bob Cobert's subsequent work on DS without really sounding like something that influenced Cobert (whose work tends to be more lyrical).  And, as if all that weren't enough, one of the demons mentioned in the film is Balberith, the name given in some sources for the dark Master of Nicholas and Angelique in the 1968 storyline's forays to the Underworld.

The DVD finally allows us to see this movie in something closer to the correct aspect ratio, though I'm not sure they managed to get it completely right.  I'm hoping to see a write-up by Tim Lucas with technical critique.  I also wonder who was really responsible for the screenplay. Milton Subotsky got the onscreen credit but the dialogue seems far too literate and complex to come from the hand of a hack producer.

G.

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Semi OT: "The Skull" (1965)
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2008, 02:25:40 AM »
The DVD finally allows us to see this movie in something closer to the correct aspect ratio, though I'm not sure they managed to get it completely right

I can't seem to find any worthwhile reviews online yet, but there's been a lot of talk about it at this thread -

http://www.avmaniacs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35395&highlight=dvd+skull

- you'll probably be able to dig up some info there.   
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008, 03:29:40 AM »
 [ghost_blink] can't believe I missed this - http://www.avmaniacs.com/review.php?id=231 - Ian knows his stuff, if he says it's AOR, there's a good chance he's right. I've seen The Skull once, probably 13 years ago, pan and scan VHS. I knew it had a good reputation, and Cushing/Lee never disappoint, but I was a little underwhelmed. I'd like to give it another try now that there's a decent presentation -
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 05:57:35 PM »
My own previous viewings also left me underwhelmed.  I watched the first half hour on Wed. evening and kept thinking "I can't believe I never noticed how good it is."  The VHS release was really awful--I remember not being able to get through it because the pan and scan was so bad.

I keep hoping that The Gorgon will be released over here.  On a completely non-genre note, I'm thrilled and excited that the Two Fat Ladies is doing to see a US release on 29 July.  I really hope they include the documentary about legendary chef Jennifer Paterson.  I can imagine her and Grayson having a ball talking about food and how insane, in general, people are!

G.