Author Topic: OT Shameless Self Promotion - VictoriaWinters.net  (Read 2147 times)

Offline victoriawinters

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
Re: OT Shameless Self Promotion - VictoriaWinters.net
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2005, 02:44:11 AM »
It could get me into serious trouble.  But, I'm counting on loosing in any event.  The leading site has way too much support.  Catching up 26 behind and then overtaking the leader is just a huge hill in the competition world.

MB, I did ask that the double voting not occur earlier in the thread. 
There is also a contraversery swirling within the competition. There were several instances of what appears to be duplicate votes. This occurs when family members use the same computer or when they are voting from an office behind a router. The same IP address gets logged.

But, I'm sure double voting does happen on a frequent basis.  Voting from home and work.  I'm also sure many competitors also discovered the same trick Connie did.  Not that it makes it right.  I'm just sure it happens.

Any duplicates are going to be tossed out.

And, Connie's right MB we should just kill the tread from her post and go from there.  I just could not really address this earlier as they needed to kill the router at the office.  We are moving accross the bridge to Long Beach.

luv, victoriawinters

Offline Connie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2005, 03:19:58 AM »
Well, I asked 3 hours ago if they would delete it but the powers that be obviously decided not to for whatever reason.  [idontknow]

Yeah - I didn't realize that this was the last day of voting and there'd be little chance of catching up.   :-    Better luck next week, VW??

Sorry about my stupidity.
Blank space
                                Your Ad Here   ---->>

Offline victoriawinters

• Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2005, 04:46:31 AM »
I wish we could edit our posts.  That would be so ever lovely.  But, be that as it may, perhaps they'll get around to it sooner or later.

Don't worry about it Connie.  I know you meant well and I love you for wanting to help me.   [love2]

However, if every DS fan voted once, I could win the thing but polls are closed now.  Even if I should pull it off, I doubt I'll continue.  I'm really, really tired.  It's time to move onto other things and shamelessly promote something else.  ;)

Offline victoriawinters

• Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2005, 04:55:28 AM »
This just in....

Well, everyone (and here goes to show you why being able to edit posts are a good idea) I only lost by 12 votes.   That's how close these things can be.  I'm not at all sad with this result.  We at least made the Unicorn work for it.

Thank you all from the bottom of my heart for voting!  Thanks for all your well wishes and support.  And, thanks especially for visiting my site.  But, mostly you all honor me with your friendship and for that I'll always be grateful.

luv, victoriawinters

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2005, 06:58:11 AM »
As several members who've approached us privately with a request to delete one or more of their posts have learned, deleting posts is not something that's taken lightly or done without a lot of thought and consideration. The only times when it's considered an option is when/if a post might violate something in the forum's guidelines or the rules for a particlar board. In this particular instance, nothing that's been posted in this topic violates any guidelines. And as victoriawinters rightly points out, it's not like others on the Internet hadn't already figured out that they can change their IP addresses if/when they might want to try to mask the fact that they're "stuffing the ballot box," as it were.  ;)

As far as the time limit that's been set on editing posts goes, unfortunately it became necessary once one too many people began to edit their posts long after they'd been submitted, often completely changing the thrust of what had originally been said, causing replys to the original content to look odd at best and at worst leaving readers who'd never read the original content with the impression that the people who'd written those replys had completely misinterpreted what they'd commented on. And those are certainly not circumstances unique to dsboards because for some time many forum moderators had been requesting that the YaBB SE/SMF developers introduce an editing time limit into their software. Once it became an option, it was something that we frankly jumped at the chance to activate - though, in fact, I've made modifications to the feature to keep the window of opportunity open longer than the developers actually intended. The original restrictions were far more stringent. We can understand that at times the limit might be a bit of an inconvenience - but at the same time it's always possible to make a follow-up to an original post to help clarify a point. And, of course, a good rule of thumb across the board (after all, there are many places on the Internet where editing after the fact for content isn't an option at all  ;)) is to try to consider what's about to be posted before it's submitted rather than afterward.  :)