Desmond Collins (1840/41)
8 (11%)
Kendrick Young (1841PT)
10 (13.7%)
Alex Jenkins (NoDS)
1 (1.4%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Voting closed: January 18, 2005, 08:47:48 PM

Author Topic: Three Most Favorite John Karlen Characterizations  (Read 3772 times)

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Three Most Favorite John Karlen Characterizations
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2005, 11:25:05 PM »
And initially Willie's dialogie had him referring to himself in the third person (e.g. "Willie Loomis doesn't like it there." Which was fine until James Hall started messing it up and saying things like "Nobody pushes Willy Loman around" and "Willy Loman likes her."
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2005, 11:48:54 PM »
Given what I had heard, I was surprised at how much I enjoyed James Hall's performance in his 4 or 5 episodes when I screened them last year.  Despite his difficulties with the line readings, I thought he had an interesting take on Willie.  Very creepy--just watching him in his scenes with Vicki practically had me biting my nails (not something one is wont to do under ordinary circumstances).

I dont't think there's any question as to who is the more skilled thespian of the two.  Karlen obviously stands head and shoulders above his predecessor. But I also don't think it diminishes Karlen's achievement in the slightest to note that Hall did a better job with the role than common fan wisdom would state.

Someone asked one of the surviving cast members in NYC last year while Hall was replaced, and she answered that he had a drinking problem and was told he would have to go "but in a nice way."  (laughter from both the stage and the audience)

G.

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2005, 01:38:15 AM »
And initially Willie's dialogie had him referring to himself in the third person (e.g. "Willie Loomis doesn't like it there." Which was fine until James Hall started messing it up and saying things like "Nobody pushes Willy Loman around" and "Willy Loman likes her."

I can't believe I never noticed that before (I haven't seen the oldies in....well, when they were on at night...remember...1/2 hour a.m., 1/2 hour p.m).

Patti
What a Woman!