Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0575  (Read 1555 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0575
« on: June 27, 2008, 08:07:09 PM »

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0575
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2008, 06:05:12 PM »
I can't remember whether or not we ever get a heart-to-heart chat between Vicky and Maggie during this period.  If we don't, then it's a great opportunity wasted.  Two girls talking about how both of their boyfriends just won't spend any time with them anymore.  I was thinking about this even before Angelique got her fangs into Jeff.

Of course, Joe's a far greater loss to Maggie than Jeff is to Vicky.  Good heavens, how extraordinarily rude and immature of Jeff to tell Adam that Adam is disgusting!  I fully understand that Adam is doing something dreadful at the moment - but Adam's current actions are not what Jeff is talking about, and furthermore I suspect that even if Adam were not threatening the girl Jeff loves, then Jeff would still be telling Adam that he's disgusting.

Nicholas cited Lucrezia Borgia as one of the most evil women who ever lived.  If Rafael Sabatini's biography of Lucrezia's brother Cesare is to be believed, the Borgias weren't so bad after all; they just got bad press because their enemies outlived them.  But Nicholas must be in a position to know Lucrezia's true worth, so in the Dark Shadows universe she was bad.  Elizabeth Bathory, whom Nicholas also mentioned, seems more likely to have been a murderess in our world, though there are doubters about her as well - but not many, apparently.  Either way, this insistence on extreme evil strikes me as sort of silly.  I think that what would better suit Nicholas's needs would be a woman of little imagination but great organizational talents, who would do whatever Nicholas asked because it was no big deal and hey, why not?  But I suppose that Nicholas, being the devil's minion, has to toe the ideological line.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2008, 07:42:01 PM »
The concept of "evil" makes me groan, but if the Devil's the bad guy in a story, they're already committed.    The virtue of Eve for Nick is the evil-ness of her soul, what her nature is, not obedience or the tasks she might perform for him, though he's a little short-sighted there, he should be thinking of that too.

There used to be a lot of Jeff Clarks in TV shows back then.  I always got the impression they were supposed to represent the mainstream "regular guy" whom the male audience was supposed to identify with-- blustering, acting without thinking, insulting anybody different.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2008, 12:32:54 AM »
I would honestly hate to think that sort of behavior was anything even slightly resembling an ideal that every regular guy was supposed to aspire to be like.  [undb]

And the very thought of anyone seeing Jeff as a role model. Truly scary!!  [eek]  [haironend]  [scrm]

Offline Sunny_Collins

• Senior Poster
  • True devotion! I love, love, love dear Barnabas!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2008, 10:57:08 PM »
In a way I don't blame Jeff for attacking Adam. He's revolted by what Lang forced him to do, and the source of that revulsion is standing right in front of him, so naturally he snatches the opportunity to take it out on him. All I can say is that it's a good thing Professor Stokes was there, or Jeff most likely would have been killed.

Nicholas really needs to keep a closer watch on Angelique, doesn't he?  [ghost_grin]
Barnabas to little Sarah's ghost: "I forbid you to leave! I beg you to stay!"

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2008, 11:34:38 PM »
I would honestly hate to think that sort of behavior was anything even slightly resembling an ideal that every regular guy was supposed to aspire to be like.  [undb]

And the very thought of anyone seeing Jeff as a role model. Truly scary!!  [eek]  [haironend]  [scrm]

I hate the reality of it.    That was why I felt like an alien growing up (not that that stopped, but I can choose who to hang out with now).    I'm not sure Clarks and Burkes were role models, ideals to live up to, as much as representations and validations of what men felt men were.     I remember my father being disgusted that I didn't fight back against kids in school.    Me, I felt that meant I'd have been allowing myself to be manipulated into doing something I didn't want to do.   And I'm a coward, let's not leave that out.     
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2008, 10:00:11 AM »
I can't remember whether or not we ever get a heart-to-heart chat between Vicky and Maggie during this period.  If we don't, then it's a great opportunity wasted.  Two girls talking about how both of their boyfriends just won't spend any time with them anymore.  I was thinking about this even before Angelique got her fangs into Jeff.

Of course, Joe's a far greater loss to Maggie than Jeff is to Vicky. 
Yes, there was a heart-to-heart chat between Vicki and Maggie - it was in Episode #583, which I watched today. (I know, I am ahead of the Watching Project schedule, but behind on posting. I do that all the time.) [ghost_rolleyes]

I don't blame Jeff for attacking Adam, but it was a dumb move on his part, given Adam's propensity for violence.  [ghost_mad] Then again, I felt sorry for Adam, because he was just finding out the gruesomeness of his beginnings, which made him feel worse about himself. [cryg]

I think it would have been perfect if Angelique had been the life force for Eve. [ghost_wink] After all, Barnabas was the life force for Adam, so it's only logical that another vampire would be the second life force. Also, it would be a way for Barnabas and Angelique to bond. I'm angry at Nicholas for not allowing that to happen. Nicholas was one mean dude!  [ghost_angry]

----- Sally -----
[coolg] [hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2008, 01:33:15 AM »
I agree an evil and self determined person for the life force is not the best thing. It would seem that we would want someone strong but not self directed. Nicholas would want someone that he could control. We all know what will happen.

Maybe Barnabas should use his basement to be a place for the vampires to come to, it would seem that they are already attracted to it.
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline Roland

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2008, 07:30:23 PM »
I'm confused.  Doesn't a vampire, almost by definition, NOT have a life force?  And now Nicholas wants to bring back a DEAD WOMAN to serve as the life force for Eve?  This is really some screwy plotting.

I must say I thought Roger Davis did pretty well in his scene with Angelique.  He remained restrained throughout the scene and showed, I think, that he actually does OK when he drops the histrionics.