Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0603  (Read 1059 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0603
« on: August 06, 2008, 08:45:55 PM »

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0603
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 11:59:02 PM »
It's great to see Joan Bennett again.  And I like the model of the mausoleum.  If I were to order a model of a mausoleum that was to be built for me, the architect wouldn't put all those cute little trees in, but Elizabeth Collins Stoddard is rich, so she gets miniature greenery with her miniature mausoleum.  It was a bit of a letdown, though, to find out that the thing was made of paper.

I liked the effect of Elizabeth's own voice talking to her and telling her what was going to happen.  I realize that this was only because Dan Curtis didn't feel like paying Lara Parker for a day's work to do the dictating and the laughing, but the result was very pleasing: Joan Bennett being cruel to Joan Bennett.

What I didn't like was that we didn't see any of the hours that Roger had spent talking with Elizabeth, when he tried to be sympathetic, and also the times when she seemed like her old self.  Clearly we're getting a Reader's Digest condensed version of Elizabeth's problem, and that's just not how Dark Shadows should be.  I fully understand that Joan Bennett is entitled to the time off that's stipulated in her contract and that if she didn't have the time off she wouldn't have gotten this storyline - but that's not my problem.

I like Vicky's dress.  (It's an "I like" day.  Some days are "It's interesting" days, but this is an "I like" day.)  I liked it the last time I saw it, but didn't mention it, though I can't remember why not.  Today I'm mentioning it.  And I liked the way Vicky stuck to her guns, because she was absolutely right.  And I didn't like the way Jeff avoided saying straight out, "I'm sorry."  It wouldn't have changed Vicky's mind, but he should have said it anyway.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008, 12:13:24 AM »
(1) I liked the effect of Elizabeth's own voice talking to her and telling her what was going to happen.  I realize that this was only because Dan Curtis didn't feel like paying Lara Parker for a day's work to do the dictating and the laughing, but the result was very pleasing: Joan Bennett being cruel to Joan Bennett.

(2) (It's an "I like" day.  Some days are "It's interesting" days, but this is an "I like" day.)

(1) I think Cassang's curse was self-generating once in place, which is why it continued while Ang was distracted or powerless as a witch or whatever else she was or wasn't.   I don't think Ang ever tended to it, or even necessarily remembered that she'd done it.   Cass may have appeared in a Liz dream or something, but it's a sort of interactive curse with a built in avatar of Angssandra that pops up and taunts her when needed.   Anyway, sometimes it spoke with Liz's voice or made Liz's psyche work against itself.

(2) I LOLed...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2008, 12:24:23 AM »
Roger really pissed me off the way he acted towards Elizabeth. He was needlessly cruel. [ghost_angry]

I wish he'd stop worrying about what other people would think and start thinking more about how to help his sister. I mean, I do think he IS concerned about her, but dwelling on small-time gossip among the villagers should be the last thing on his mind.  [ghost_sad]

Jeff has no memory of Angelique so it's no surprise he's at a loss to explain what happened to him to Vicki. But I have to admit, if I was Vicki, I probably wouldn't have taken him back either, without any explanation.

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2008, 01:14:11 AM »
I like the way that the show is testing out colors. The Purple of Liz's dress and the green.  Vickie was wearing black because she was in mourning for her relationship and Liz. Or was she wearing the black to hide her pregnancy. I can't really tell maybe it is just my eyesight.

I to wish they would have shown more time between Liz and Roger. We don't get to see the normal very often any more on DS.  It goes from one supernatural problem to anoither. Jonathan must have needed some time off. He wasn't involved very much in Liz's story.

Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2008, 07:30:10 AM »
I really like Vicki's black dress and her hair down, too. The dress really matched her hair. [gorgeous] I think the reason for the dress was to hide Alexandra's pregnancy. [ideag]

It was a shame that they were not showing "normal" scenes with Elizabeth and Roger anymore.  [ghost_sad] Those scenes were very prevalent during the pre-Barnabas episodes. [winkg] I agree that Roger was being particularly cruel to Elizabeth in this episode. It was mean of him to wreck the mausoleum model.  [ghost_mad]

I like the fact that Elizabeth confided in Vicki about her fear of being buried alive.  [ghost_smiley]  [spoiler]It's too bad they never revealed on the show that Elizabeth was Vicki's mother.  [cryg]  [/spoiler]

----- Sally -----
[coolg] [hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline Roland

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2008, 04:19:57 AM »
It was nice to see much of the original cast back together in this episode.  That seemed to happen less and less frequently as the series went on.

Offline JWGucciEnvy

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Soap Opera Saga
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2008, 05:34:34 AM »
Why did Elizabeth go to Peter Bradford's grave? I kinda got lost on that.

Vicki did look pretty...I liked her hair and her outfit.
I love Soap Operas & Comic Books