Author Topic: OT--Katherine Hepburn  (Read 1870 times)

Offline Maria_Merriweather

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
OT--Katherine Hepburn
« on: June 30, 2003, 01:04:21 AM »
OT, but I will tie it to DS--she starred in "Little Women" with Joan Bennett. "The Lion in Winter" is the best movie I have ever seen.  Most of the comments in her obits on TV today do not mention this movie. She was an original and certainly lived a full life.
MM

Offline Eleanor_Rigby

• Full Poster
  • So it goes -- Kilgore Trout
    • View Profile
Re:OT--Katherine Hepburn
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2003, 01:57:25 AM »
Oh I am sorry to hear it.  She did have a wonderful career and a full life.  She was one of my most favorite actresses.  I used to love watching her with Spencer Tracy.  Also loved The African Queen w/Humphrey Bogart and On Golden Pond with Henry Fonda ... 
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2003, 03:10:39 AM »
i agree she was great! a woman to be admired! she did it her way!(like Frank!) 8)

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2003, 03:22:29 AM »
. "The Lion in Winter" is the best movie I have ever seen. 

It has some of the very best dialogue ever written for a screenplay, including one of my most favorite exchanges:

King Henry: "Pigs will fly before THOSE stout hearts join together!"

Eleanor of Aquitaine: "There'll be pork in the tree tops come morning, Henry!"
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2003, 03:25:31 AM »
OT, but I will tie it to DS--she starred in "Little Women" with Joan Bennett.

In several of her early interviews when she was first starting her post DS career, Kate Jackson revealed that Hepburn was her idol. One day, while both were still living in NYC, Jackson went to Hepburn's apartment with flowers, but she was too scared to actually meet her idol, so she simply left them outside Hepburn's door and left.

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2003, 04:53:50 AM »
Earlier this week Larry King had Katharine Houghton, Katharine Hepburn's niece on talking about her aunt.  They repeated it tonight - not because of this, it had already been scheduled!

I heard parts of it the other night, but heard some new parts tonight and it turns out the niece played Hepburn's daughter in "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner?" - I had no idea.  I looked her up on the imdb and she's been in other movies and apparently a lot of stage work.
Josette

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2003, 06:27:48 AM »
Earlier this week Larry King had Katharine Houghton, Katharine Hepburn's niece on talking about her aunt.  They repeated it tonight - not because of this, it had already been scheduled!
I heard parts of it the other night, but heard some new parts tonight and it turns out the niece played Hepburn's daughter in "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner?" - I had no idea.

I had seen that last week also Josette and like you, I had no idea that she was Hepburn's niece.

I was saddened to hear about her death also.  I really admired her.  She was way ahead of her time!  She did what she wanted to do in a time when alot of things were just unheard of for a woman.

May she rest in peace now.

(Lately, it seems like all the show biz people are leaving us)

Cassandra
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2003, 01:34:47 PM »
If a Dark Shadows remake (whether the '91 attempt, or a different one) had ever been successful, and the Quentin story retold, I always pictured Miss Hepburn doing a cameo as Grandmamamama.  Would that have been a scoop, or would that have been a scoop!

RIP to a great lady.

Gerard

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2003, 07:49:39 PM »
I've loved Kate since I was 11 years old.  And the Lion in Winter is one of the best films ever. . my favorite lines are:

John:  I could catch on fire and no one here would piss on me to put it out.

Richard:  Who's got a match so we can see?

Eleanor:  Boys, boys. . ..

And:

Eleanor:  I could peel you like a pear and God himself would call it justice! [to her nasty philandering husband played so well by Peter O'Toole.]

Ironically I was just on the street she lived on Saturday and photographed her townhouse, which she bought in 1930-something with her husband for like $35,000! (yes, for those who didn't know she was married once upon a time, right out of college.)  But i suppose that was a fortune then but hey he was rich and she got it in the divorce!  And then i sat peacefully in the Katharine Hepburn Garden for a spell. . .am I psychic?

Being sans cable i wonder if i can order that Larry King episode?

:'( :'(
Julia99

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2003, 10:02:51 PM »
Being sans cable i wonder if i can order that Larry King episode?

Julia, He just re-aired the show again Saturday night.  If I knew you wanted it I would have taped it for you.  I'll keep a lookout for you,  if it airs again, I 'll tape it for you.

Cassandra
"Calamity Jane"