Author Topic: Has DS ever influenced what YOU wear?  (Read 2686 times)

Offline Heather

• Senior Poster
  • It's an Orbach's, darling...
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Re: Has DS ever influenced what YOU wear?
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2006, 06:27:20 AM »
Last year in Zara's they had a pinkish tweed suit that i wanted to buy to freak out my JuliaList pals!  haha!

I would have loved to have seen that...  >:D

W: http://hrh22.home.comcast.net

In case you didn't realize....Julia rules!  :-*

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2006, 11:37:55 PM »
I think I threw out all my headbands after a surfeit of the episodes where seemingly every single DS female character was wearing one or had a bow...
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2006, 12:06:46 AM »
I think I threw out all my headbands after a surfeit of the episodes where seemingly every single DS female character was wearing one or had a bow...

Julia must've been in the past or at Wyndecliffe that day . . .no headbands for the medical professionals. . .
Julia99

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2006, 02:46:42 AM »
d.s. hasn't directly influenced what i wear but i guess the character i most dress like is joe haskell.

jeans,steele-towed workboots,plaid hunting jackets,dark cropped hair.i'm often told i look rather "butch". ;)
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2006, 09:01:03 PM »

Now, now - we all know that you secretly LOVE all the bows that Vicki and others wear over the course of the show and the only reason you profess to hate them is because you don't want us to suspect the truth.  [bow]  Isn't it about time you finally give up the pretense and admit the truth?

>:D

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2006, 01:15:34 AM »
vicki sort of loses the bow after 1795.

she then frequently wears her hair in a ponytail or down completely.this saddened me. :'(
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline D_Friedlander

• Full Poster
  • The REAL Wyndcliffe
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2006, 01:57:32 AM »
I had two Empire-wasted "granny gowns".  Dressed as Pansy Faye on Halloween 1969 in one of my grandma's old ball gowns and some other junk I threw together.  My best purchase of the period I still have and use--- big black wool cape with a tasselled hood (very warm, one little mothhole.)  I used it once at some DS event but it was too hot, and too heavy to pack for DSFs.  I also had my hair up a lot in imitation of the 1800's episodes, though mostly in braids since my hair can't keep a curl to save my life. [gorgeous]

I think old DS stuff is magically appearing at our local GoodWill. As "haunters" of GW stores know, they usually have a 'vintage clothing" rack.  Mostly old disco dresses, bridesmaid atrocities, and leisure suits, but once I saw Maggie's old quilted skirt (too small for me, or I'd have bought it, as it was in very good condition and looked comfortable as well) and an olive-drab 2-pc. women's suit a'la Julia's typical garb (ditto.)
"HISTORY IS ULTIMATELY AN INVENTORY OF GHOSTS."-----
GUILLERMO DEL TORO

Offline Professor1985

• Full Poster
  • The Professor
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2006, 02:51:10 AM »
I bought some few old neckties at the faith home, that inspired some DS wardrobes, I got one plaid hunting jacket, it's blue, also I got some few dress shirts. Plain-front pants, plaid shirts (just similar to a la Sam Evans), knit ties, old records, I used to have few sportcoats, suits that out of my size. Now I got one blue blazer (just like Quentin Collins in PT, and pre-1840, not the plaid jackets). Dress shoes, sweathers, even when I watched the 1795 episodes, I have my hairstyle looked like Lt. Nathan Forbes. Also I have one b&w hounstooth pants, dark-grey pants, etc.

Gotta love fashion and KLS' sexy minishirts that she knows how to show her legs!
Spencer H. Karter

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2006, 04:04:26 AM »
I think old DS stuff is magically appearing at our local GoodWill. As "haunters" of GW stores know, they usually have a 'vintage clothing" rack.  Mostly old disco dresses, bridesmaid atrocities, and leisure suits, but once I saw Maggie's old quilted skirt (too small for me, or I'd have bought it, as it was in very good condition and looked comfortable as well) and an olive-drab 2-pc. women's suit a'la Julia's typical garb (ditto.)

Once a bunch of us were in Newport hanging out at the Black Pearl (aka The Blue Whale) and Seaview and in one of the shops on the wharf we saw a green tweed suit that I SWEAR looked like the one Julia wore on the show!
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline Willie

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2006, 03:42:08 PM »
I don't wear anything from DS myself, but it is pretty entertaining watching the show with my mother - who's REALLY into clothes - and listening to her tell about how popular certain styles were back in the '60s.  Like that thick, quilt style dress that Maggie wore ocassionally, some of Cassandra's lime green dresses, etc. 

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2006, 03:50:51 PM »
There was a teacher at my high school who wore those quilt skirts, circa 1970.

Actually, she was so tiny the skirt pretty much wore her!  ::)
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas