Poll

Which DS character do you feel from your own personal impressions would be most convincing and effective as a trial lawyer (whether or not they actually played attys. on DS)?

Barnabas Collins
6 (11.5%)
Quentin Collins
0 (0%)
Prof. Stokes (real time)
9 (17.3%)
Prof. Stokes (Parallel time)
1 (1.9%)
Nicholas Blair
10 (19.2%)
Count Petofi
2 (3.8%)
Burke Devlin
2 (3.8%)
Jeff Clark/Peter Bradford
1 (1.9%)
Willie Loomis (real time)
0 (0%)
Willie H. Loomis (PT)
0 (0%)
Roger Collins
0 (0%)
Jebez Hawkes
0 (0%)
Dr. Dave Woodard
1 (1.9%)
Dr. Eric Lang
0 (0%)
Joe Haskell
0 (0%)
Nathan Forbes
0 (0%)
Evan Hanley
2 (3.8%)
Tony Peterson
5 (9.6%)
Gerard Stiles (possessed by Judah Zachery)
1 (1.9%)
Charles Dawson
2 (3.8%)
Rev. Trask from 1795
1 (1.9%)
Rev. Gregory Trask
1 (1.9%)
Desmond Collins
1 (1.9%)
Dr. Julia Hoffman
3 (5.8%)
Elizabeth Collins Stoddard
0 (0%)
Flora Collins
0 (0%)
Tim Shaw
1 (1.9%)
Madame Janet Findley
0 (0%)
Other (please name in group posts)
3 (5.8%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Voting closed: January 03, 2006, 05:54:03 PM

Author Topic: DS characters as trial lawyers  (Read 2787 times)

Offline TNickey2003

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
DS characters as trial lawyers
« on: November 19, 2005, 01:51:50 AM »
New poll for DS Forums.
Note: Which of the above characters do you feel has the most personality and brains to be a trial lawyer (again, whether or not they actually played lawyers on DS). If you think two or more impress you equally as lawyer material, vote accordingly.
Alex adores Maggie Evans

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: DS characters as trial lawyers
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2005, 03:00:59 AM »
Jason Mcguire  [diablo]
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline TNickey2003

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2005, 03:03:36 AM »
I thought about McGuire, and wished I had included him as a potential choice. Also failed to include King Johnny Romano ( even without his sharp-edged companion he sees formidably aggressive.)
Alex adores Maggie Evans

Offline Amy Jennings Fan

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2005, 03:04:20 AM »
Chris Jennings
No Jesus, no peace. Know jesus ,know peace.

Offline stefan

• Full Poster
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2005, 01:59:59 AM »
I'm really laughing at this one cause i work in a law firm. I'd say Professor Stokes in real time (geez). He's smart, observant, does his research, cool as a cucumber and doesn't ruffle easily. Pretty good character traits for a successful attorney. Next poll, how about DS characters as construction workers? ;D

I saw Nicholas Blair got some votes too and I'd go with him second. He'd charm the courts and witnesses and has an oily conscience. Also good traits for a successful attorney.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2005, 06:03:56 AM »
I find the topic very amusing too.  :P

Quote from: Amy Jennings Fan
Chris Jennings

I could see that, especially since his PT counterpart was an attorney.  I don't know if Chris Collns had experience as a trial lawyer, but when you represent the Collins family you'll probably end up defending them in court.

I also voted for Barnabas because he did a bang-up job stepping in as Quentin I's attorney, and after only having just been at death's door.

NOT Peter Bradford.  ::)

Tony Peterson is my top pick-- in addition to the qualities called for in the poll, he's also ethical, tenacious, and discreet.  And kinda hot, too.  :D

DS had its share of lawyers, past and present.  Besides the ones I mentioned, there were at least 7 other attorneys seen or discussed on DS.  Would anyone like to try naming them?  :)

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2005, 04:42:55 PM »
Jason Mcguire  [diablo]

God knows he was SLEAZY enough to be a lawyer!  LOL!  A divorce lawyer at that.   ;D
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2005, 04:56:36 PM »
Besides the ones I mentioned, there were at least 7 other attorneys seen or discussed on DS.  Would anyone like to try naming them?  :)

I think I have 6 of them:
Desmond Collins (1840)
Evan Hanley (1897)
Richard Garner (pre-Barnabas)
Frank Garner (pre-Barnabas)
Amadeus Collins (1692 flashback)
Horace Gladstone (1970 PT)

P.S. To the moderators, I can't tell you how FRUSTRATING is it, when you accidently post before you're done typing, then go into QUOTE MODIFY to repair the damage only to have the darn board tell you "you can't post because it hasn't been 2 minutes since you're last post" then by the time you wait 2 minutes, it says your option to MODIFY has expired!!   >:(  Please can this be fixed?
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2005, 05:36:22 PM »
Besides the ones I mentioned, there were at least 7 other attorneys seen or discussed on DS.  Would anyone like to try naming them?  :)

I think I have 6 of them:
Desmond Collins (1840)
Evan Hanley (1897)
Richard Garner (pre-Barnabas)
Frank Garner (pre-Barnabas)

I always did admire your memory, BuzzH!  :D

The actor playing one of the characters you listed also played a lawyer in another time.  ;)

Amadeus Collins (1692 flashback)

I wasn't counting judges, and if so I guess we'd have to include all the judges seen during in the witchcraft trials.

Horace Gladstone (1970 PT)

I know he was a supplier for Cyrus, but was he an attorney?

The 7th was unseen.  Considering how he was described, he's not a lawyer you'd want to hire.  Selby fans might know this one.  :)

P.S. To the moderators, I can't tell you how FRUSTRATING is it, when you accidently post before you're done typing, then go into QUOTE MODIFY to repair the damage only to have the darn board tell you "you can't post because it hasn't been 2 minutes since you're last post" then by the time you wait 2 minutes, it says your option to MODIFY has expired!!   >:(  Please can this be fixed?

That error message doesn't have anything to do with the modify feature.  There's no QUOTE MODIFY button; there's a quote option (for making a new post) and a separate modify option (for all edits).  So make sure, if you want to edit a post, that you select Modify and not Quote.

You can also preview your post indefinitely before submitting (posting) it, and once you've posted it you have the 2 minutes to make the first edit, then you have another 2 minutes after that edit, etc.  So you could edit a post more than once as long as you don't wait allow 2 minutes to lapse between modifications.  Hope that helped.

Offline Misa

• Full Poster
  • Is that you, Mr. Juggins?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2005, 05:48:09 PM »
I don't get the poll option to vote, just the results. Why is this the poll isn't closed yet.

Misa

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2005, 05:57:01 PM »
I don't get the poll option to vote, just the results. Why is this the poll isn't closed yet.

Thanks for letting us know, Misa.  You should be able to vote now.

Offline Connie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2005, 11:30:46 PM »
I think Desmond was a lousy lawyer.
Barnabas started out very well during Quentin's trial but somehow seemed to whimper out towards the end.  Disheartening.

:-

If you want to go with the negative stereotypical lawyer traits -- sleazy, under-handed, money-grubbing, etc., then maybe 1897 Quentin might do well in the courtroom.
Plus, if all else fails, he might at least win over the female jurors.   ::)
Blank space
                                Your Ad Here   ---->>

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2005, 01:09:13 AM »
If you want to go with the negative stereotypical lawyer traits -- sleazy, under-handed, money-grubbing, etc., then maybe 1897 Quentin might do well in the courtroom.
Plus, if all else fails, he might at least win over the female jurors.

Well, Quentin might have had a very long wait for that to happen because women weren't allowed on juries in 1897.  ;)  In fact, even though a handful of states decided to allow women on juries as early as the 1920s after the passage of the 19th Amendment (though in a limited capacity), the battle of women to be allowed to take part in jury service continued on into the 1970s. (And that wasn't just the case in this country - for instance, Canada didn't see the first woman on a jury until 1972!)

Offline Misa

• Full Poster
  • Is that you, Mr. Juggins?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2005, 07:08:29 AM »
Thank you Midnite, I was able to vote now. Poor Tony doesn't seem to be doing that well and he was a lawyer, and I think that he was probably pretty good.

I voted for Tony, Prof. Stokes, Petofi, and Nicholas Blair. They seemed to be the ones that probably could make the best case and change people's minds.

Misa

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2005, 07:15:55 AM »
I forgot that Barnabas lost in 1840.    Still, I go with him because theatrics are very important in the courtroom, and BC knows how to make a spectacular entrance.    He had some of them PIMPing in the aisles, or rather, the witness stand.     Man that was one fun moment.      The Tribunal should have thrown up their hands, said, well we can't argue with that, and sent Q home in gratitude for the entertainment value.    And they should have tipped Barnabas.   Yes, I know the Tribunal didn't know what BC had been up to, or behind, or walled up inside of, but still....
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor