Poll

Would you like Seaview to be the representation of Collinwood in the new Depp/Burton DS film?

Yes.
No.
I don't know.

Author Topic: Collinwood in the new Depp/Burton DS film  (Read 16143 times)

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
Re: Collinwood in the new Depp/Burton DS film
« Reply #135 on: September 20, 2009, 03:25:29 PM »
A very good point.
 On this same wave length, yesterday I drove past Dover Downs and saw all the trailers of racing fans parked in a designated lot.  These people go all over the eastern seaboard and beyond to indulge in their love of racing.  Most people have some passion they spend money on and I doubt much of it would fall into the category of "wisely," lol.  

Nancy

Yes, wisely.  You know from experience that the things you buy will increase your happiness.  You're not buying them just because you saw an ad for them or because all your friends have them.

Offline JosettebyCandlelight

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 07, 2009, 07:34:14 AM »
Quick question for you M.B. Where is it that you ran across the photo of Cecilia Hall when the Bradley's lived there? What source is it from?

Just wondering and many thanks! :)

J.B.C.
"Yes, I promise...believe me.
Please..don't leave, or I'll have no one...."

Offline Zahir

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 07, 2009, 11:26:04 PM »
With respect, advertisers and film studios are also aiming at entire demographics rather that specific fandoms.  As far as selling things go, they are also trying to get people to change their buying habits, which older customers are less likely to do.

Having said that, I am quietly hopeful that the new Collinwood would indeed be new.  I'm not interested particularly in seeing a carbon copy.  When I go to see a new version of Dracula, then an imitation of Bela Lugosi or Gary Oldman would make me feel cheated.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 08, 2009, 12:31:09 AM »
the photo of Cecilia Hall when the Bradley's lived there? What source is it from?

The Preservation Society of Newport County. Back in 1925 a whole series of photos were taken shortly after the debut of the newly completed Seaview Terrace. The PSoNC has copies of them - though from time to time some of the photos show up in various articles on the Newport mansions and even as post cards. Honestly, because of how the house was vandalized during the years it was left empty and unattended and, of course, what some of the Salve students have done to it, I always feel quite sad whenever I come across something showing the house in its glory days.  [hall2_cry]  But I suppose things could be worse - in 1949 Newport could have demolished the house and simply sold the land rather than putting the land and the house up for sale. But then, they wanted to fork out as little as possible to unload it, so that's probably the only reason the house was spared the wrecking ball...

Offline JosettebyCandlelight

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 08, 2009, 06:06:58 AM »
Thank you so much M.B.! It has been sad, but I get the impression there may be a hope for preservation. Thank you so much!  :0)

Please have a fabulous weekend!

Josettebycandlelight
"Yes, I promise...believe me.
Please..don't leave, or I'll have no one...."

Offline katrinavantassel

• Junior Poster
  • Home sweet home
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 16, 2009, 05:46:54 PM »
Awesome conversation thread. I enjoyed reading through it all.

Really enjoyed the photos of the real Seaview. Pity about all the damages done to it, though. How very sad. Years ago my brother gave me some coffee table type books on mansions in the US with pictures. I'll have to look through it to see if Seaview is included. I seem to remember that little balcony in the hall.

I won't bother posting my 'yes' or 'no' as it really doesn't matter.