Poll

Would you like Seaview to be the representation of Collinwood in the new Depp/Burton DS film?

Yes.
No.
I don't know.

Author Topic: Collinwood in the new Depp/Burton DS film  (Read 16135 times)

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
    • Jeannie's David Selby Site
Re: Collinwood in the new Depp/Burton DS film
« Reply #120 on: September 12, 2009, 12:41:47 AM »
That's a good point about the people who will go to this movie, Janet the Wicked.  One thing this made me think of, though, is that though the fandom itself is incredibly small as fandoms go (measured by people who define themselves as 'active fans", those who are casual fans, but will join something like a yahoo group, or go to a Fest, but are not  heavily into it, etc.) the movie would draw from a larger pool of people who are familiar with the show.  These are, of course, the babyboomers who were crazy for the show as kids.  Most may not have thought of the show in years, but there are a few things that would probably say Dark Shadows to them immediately: Barnabas,the opening credits of the rocks and the opening tag with the house.

Even my mother, who's never really watched the show (she says because she hates history stuff), knows EXACTLY who Barnabas and Anqelique are -- and recognizes the house.  And LOL it's NOT because she ever watched it with me.  She always worked (my Dad died when I was very small) and it was my GRANDMOTHER watched the show with me ( not to mention instructed me on  Joan Bennett's movies).

Jeannie

My David Selby Fansite (performance & book reviews): http://jwmediafanfiction.com/jeanniesdavidselbysite

My Dark Shadows Fest Pictures site:
http://jwmediafanfiction.com/dsfestpics

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 12, 2009, 12:53:19 AM »
Even though they're probably a fairly decent percentage of the movie going public, the movie industry doesn't target for babyboomers anymore. They lust after the 18-34 demographic and even the 12-18 demo. The 35-49 demo is in some sort of limbo most of the time. And those of us who are 50 and older might as well be dead in their eyes.  [ghost_rolleyes]

Offline LdyAnne

• Full Poster
  • DS fan since 1967- run home from school kid
    • View Profile
    • Central Florida Dark Shadows Fan Club
« Reply #122 on: September 18, 2009, 05:14:37 AM »
doesn't target for babyboomers anymore. They lust after the 18-34 demographic and even the 12-18 demo. ... And those of us who are 50 and older might as well be dead in their eyes.  [ghost_rolleyes]

And that so doesn't make sense 'cause at 51 I make more money and have more disposable income than I ever did when I was 18-40!!!!

Offline D_Friedlander

• Full Poster
  • The REAL Wyndcliffe
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 18, 2009, 06:45:34 AM »
I personally feel less and less enthusiasm for this project as it is.  I increasingly dislike Tim Burton's work with live action films as time goes on, as they seem more and more full of caricatures if not cartoonish.  I was disappointed in SWEENEY TODD--- wow, hit me over the head with the symbolism of Sweeney and Mrs. Lovett looking more like the walking dead while everyone else looks normal.  Yeah, they're losing their souls, I GET IT!  But in reality, would any but the most desperate actually get a shave or buy a pie from people who REALLY looked like that?  Nuh-uh, didn't think so.  In short, they lacked some of the realism and menace of the stage play (which I watched on "Great Performances" 20-odd years ago.)
And that's what I fear for the DARK SHADOWS project--- an utter lack of subtlety, likely punctuated with the headache-inducing strains of a Danny Elfman score. 
The premise of Barnabas, after all, was that a deceptively NORMAL type of dude is welcomed into his distant cousins' home and is slowly revealed to be a monster, and eventually, a monster who wants badly to be normal.  Granted, there are time limitations in a movie, but I fear a ramped-up version of the bloody train wreck that was HODS.  This matters to me, as a fan, more than whether the Seaview place is used either in reality or just as a digital template (though a reference of some kind WOULD be a nice nod to the original fans, with or without with any original cast cameos.)
So even though I voted "yes" for Seaview, I'm not as wrapped up in the concept, so much as worrying that the actual script, performances, effects, and music will be a distraction rather than an enhancement.  As a good little fan I will hold my nose and see the finished product even if it's lousy, as it may stir some interest in the older series.  But I'll be grateful forevermore if it's actually good, even if it doesn't exactly match up visually with the 1960s or even the 1991 versions.
"HISTORY IS ULTIMATELY AN INVENTORY OF GHOSTS."-----
GUILLERMO DEL TORO

Offline Mary

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 18, 2009, 06:55:29 AM »
the bloody train wreck that was HODS

I loved HODS! [ghost_grin]

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 18, 2009, 08:06:46 AM »
I certainly hope you are wrong but I do understand your concerns. [ghost_mellow]

I definitely hope the film doesn't turn into the bloody "trainwreck" that was HODS, lol.  Very well put. [ghost_tongue2]

As a good little fan I will hold my nose and see the finished product even if it's lousy, as it may stir some interest in the older series.  But I'll be grateful forevermore if it's actually good, even if it doesn't exactly match up visually with the 1960s or even the 1991 versions.

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 18, 2009, 08:09:56 AM »
That's how I feel, LdyAnne.  When I do have a job, I'm usually making good money and have more disposable than I did back between 18-34.  I was able to have a comfortable enough living but not lots of extra money.  I didn't even buy my own computer until the latter part of 1998!

I am glad that those who make video games are starting to recognize they have an over 40 audience who enjoy playing.

nancy

And that so doesn't make sense 'cause at 51 I make more money and have more disposable income than I ever did when I was 18-40!!!!

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 18, 2009, 08:17:16 AM »
I have to agree with you, oh Wicked One.  The movie houses are not going to be overrun with Dark Shadows fans as we know them the type of fan who is active in online fandom and will go to at least one festival or DS gathering in his or her lifetime.   Those who attend are going to be horror movie fans and admirers of Johnny Depp's work and even the partnership of Depp and Burton.  

Oh, and did I tell you about the fan who recently emailed me and asked what kind of shower curtains Frid has in his bathroom?

I told her he had werewolf heads drawn on his shower curtain. No word back as to whether she believed me or not.

nancy

I think most people who will go to see this picture will be fans of vampires, horror movies, Johnny Depp, and Tim Burton. My sister, for example, watched DS when she was a kid, but hasn't seen it since. When I told her Depp was planning to play Barnabas, she exclaimed, "Oh, my god!!" Whether or not they use Seaview is of no importance to her. No doubt Tim Burton will come up with some far out sets for this film.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 18, 2009, 12:41:05 PM »
When I do have a job, I'm usually making good money and have more disposable than I did back between 18-34.
But, being older, you probably spend your money far more wisely than the average 18-to-34-year-old, so you have no future as a target audience for advertisers.

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 18, 2009, 01:20:32 PM »
But, being older, you probably spend your money far more wisely than the average 18-to-34-year-old, so you have no future as a target audience for advertisers.

LOL, you got me there, Lydia!

I am thrilled though that finally those who create the video games for teenagers and young adults have now realized they have an over-40 community who want to play and do play those same games.  Me being one of them.

nancy

Offline Mary

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 19, 2009, 08:50:43 AM »
the bloody "trainwreck" that was HODS, lol.

Bloody -- yes, trainwreck -- no.[ghost_tongue] [ghost_smiley]

Offline LdyAnne

• Full Poster
  • DS fan since 1967- run home from school kid
    • View Profile
    • Central Florida Dark Shadows Fan Club
« Reply #131 on: September 20, 2009, 01:44:27 AM »

I know you were responding to Nancy but....wisely???? I go to Dark Shadow Fest and spend lots of money on going and staying at them. I would not say that is wise? I have the entire DVD series and after I was an adult found and bought the remaining DS books by Marilyn Ross. I also buy all the books published by the DS stars and Fans... I could go on but My point is none of this is anything I need or is it bought as an investment. I have reached a stage in life where I am free to indulge my whims because I have less responsibilities (no kids at home or schoold, make more money so that once the essentials are paid I can be indulgent with myself). That is my point.

OH and my husband plays online games all the time!

LdyAnne

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: September 20, 2009, 02:44:06 AM »
The way the entertainment industry and advertisers think might seem counterintuitive to those of us who have more disposable income than we did when we were younger and who might frequently indulge our whims - but they don't see the situation in those terms. Their way of thinking for quite some time now has been that people over 50 are too set in their ways and nowhere near as easily malleable as younger people are. They believe the 50 and over crowd cannot be as easily influenced to try a new product or be as easily persuaded to see a new film or watch a new TV show. To their minds, those 50 and over like what they like and they're all going to stick to just what it is that they like. Whether that is true or not for the majority, I don't know. I'm definitely willing to try new things. But I also know several people for whom the set in their ways and more or less closed-minded description is a very apt one, so there is actually something to it. And because it does accurately describe a portion of the 50 and over demographic, all those 50 and over are lumped in together and written off.  [ghost_rolleyes]

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: September 20, 2009, 03:09:47 AM »
Very interesting.  I'm also always on the prowl to try new things and so this outlook frustrates me.  I am rarely dogmatic about anything and think its a sad environment to live in if expanding our horizons isn't a goal in life.  But it's also harder to sell me a bill of goods as it was twenty years ago. [ghost_nowink]

Nancy

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 20, 2009, 02:24:13 PM »
I know you were responding to Nancy but....wisely?
Yes, wisely.  You know from experience that the things you buy will increase your happiness.  You're not buying them just because you saw an ad for them or because all your friends have them.