Author Topic: The Most Book-Faithful Dracula Movie Is Also the Hardest One to Find  (Read 829 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
The Most Book-Faithful Dracula Movie Is Also the Hardest One to Find
The most faithful adaptation of Bram Stoker's Dracula is also the hardest to find. Here is why.

That 1977 BBC version with Louis Jourdan is excellent and if past posts on the forum are any indication, more than a few of us share that opinion. Unfortunately, the only times I've ever seen it is when PBS decides to show it, times which have been few and far between. And the 2007 BBC Video DVD is practically impossible to find, especially for a decent price and not through someone whose sole aim seems to be to gouge potential customers. It's good to read, though, that there's a version on YouTube. Hopefully it's decent quality...

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: The Most Book-Faithful Dracula Movie Is Also the Hardest One to Find
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2024, 12:39:57 AM »
The BBC Jordan version is the closest to the novel, but note that I said closest.  I don't think there has every been a cinematic version that has been 100% adapted from Stoker's novel.  For example, Dracula's appearance.  When Harker meets him, he has long, grey hair and a huge grey moustache.  Coppola's version did show him as an old man, but not soup-strainer (he did have one when he appeared younger, according to Stoker's description).  It's like how in the three version's of Stephen King's Carrie, none of the actresses (Spacek/Bettis/Moretz) looked like King's description.  She was overweight (bully nicknamed in the novel "puddin") and unattractive.  And there has yet to be a cinematic version of Dracula to show how he was dispatched in the novel.

Gerard