Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0714  (Read 2128 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0714
« on: January 22, 2009, 06:23:51 PM »

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0714
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 07:46:50 AM »
Rachel appears to be impervious to atmosphere.  No, that's wrong.  She senses the Gothic atmosphere like crazy and responds to it, but she is oblivious to any hints - or even outright statements - that she should keep her mouth shut.  I don't blame her for wondering about things: there is clearly some weird stuff going on.  But she still thinks that asking questions straight out is the best way to find answers, despite obvious evidence to the contrary.

I remember being completely on Rachel's side back when I was young and stupid - age 13, to be exact.  It was all very interesting and exciting.  25 years later I watched 1897 and was appalled at Rachel.  Today I wondered: what would I do, if I were in a strange house where some innocent person might be being held captive?  I might very well tell myself, "Lydia, don't be silly. Keep your mind on your job."  Rachel doesn't do that, and that's to her credit, I guess.  The other thing I wondered was: if Vicky had been transported back through time to 1897 instead of 1795 and had become the governess in Rachel's place, how would she have responded to the mysterious goings-on at Collinwood?

What can I say about the reading of the will that hasn't been said already?  Nothing, I think.  It's wonderful, as is the sequel, in which Edward is woken up from his beauty sleep to learn that if he wants to murder Judith in her beauty sleep, he should go to Grandmama's bedroom.  Come to think of it, why is Judith moving to Edith's room?  Presumably it's the best bedroom, but when Edith was alive it didn't seem like anything to write home about.  But we haven't seen Judith's room, so for all we know it's the cupboard under the stairs.  Or maybe the view from Edith's window is better.  Will Judith get a different bed, or is she comfortable with sleeping in the bed in which her grandmother died?

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 02:44:08 PM »
Rachel's behavior is just beyond me. I'd be extremely curious as well, but there are WAY more subtle ways to conduct an investigation than just walking up to the first member of the involved party you see and flat out asking them about it. Maybe she thinks if she keeps needling at Beth she'll get some answers. She's only been on the job for what? A few days? At most? She should be more patient - sit, wait and listen. Time outs all.

Judith is a RIOT and my favorite of JB's characters. I guess she wants Grandmama's room as it's been the seat of power in the house for nearly 40 years. It's like getting crowned. I can't recall, whose room is that in the "present"?

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 03:17:47 PM »
I think thats Carolyn's room in the present time.

Has anyone ever gone through each episode of 1897 and try to figure how that happened originally?  Until Barnabas meets someone, that is the original timeline for that particular character, unless he indirectly causes a change. 

It's like the movie "Pleasantville" where the black & white parts slowly turn to color over time as the Tobey Maguire character changes peoples lives.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2009, 08:56:27 PM »
I can't decide if Barnabas had any changes made to the will when he had the chance.  It seems strange that Edith would give nothing to the person she planned to entrust (maybe "burden" is a better word) with the secret.  OTOH, Quentin didn't seem at all surprised that Judith inherited everything, so perhaps that was Edith's intent all along.  Then again, Q. seemed awfully pleased to learn he couldn't be tossed out of the house, so was that in the original will?  I'm so confused!!

But regardless of whether or not this was the will that Quentin stole, you'd think he would be running to Sandor or Evan to find out what the heck happened instead of making a beeline for the women.  Oh wait, this is Quentin we're talking about...

It used to seem strange to me that he was so accepting that his plan failed, but now I get it.  Had he been named Master of Collinwood, it would have been too hard for everyone to believe.  Yet now he gets to live there regardless of his behavior, and with Edward powerless and Jamison set to inherit everything, he still has a crack at some of the money since he's the boy's favorite.

Until Barnabas meets someone, that is the original timeline for that particular character, unless he indirectly causes a change.

Interesting.  Then he potentially has changed a lot in his short time there.  But DID he cause Edith to die prematurely?  Did Edward learn the secret?  How'd the gypsies manage to stay on?  [hdscrt]

I guess we're supposed to think that if Barnabas hadn't turned Rachel's head, she would have succumbed to Quentin's charms as we recently saw in Maggie's dream.  (IIRC, she dreamed she was with Quentin in Rachel's bedroom [liz's in present time] but felt nervous that "he" [Edward?] might catch them.)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2009, 09:09:12 PM »
Carl begins to cry--what will we do?--we have nothing--we might as well all be paupers!--what will they do? A good question, says Quentin, we should put our heads together and decide on a course of action. Edward says, you can do that if you want, I'm going to bed. There's one way you can get out of it, Edward--if anything happens to Judith, Jamison is next in line for all the money. Edward asks, "Are you suggesting I kill my own sister?" Quentin smiles.

If Carl weren't so silly, he might figure out that he could get married to someone who can give him a son.  No?

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2009, 12:23:15 PM »
Has Carl reached puberty?

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2009, 11:30:47 PM »
I absolutely LOVE this episode....Judith gloating, Edward furious, Quentin amused, and Carl totally stunned. Some great wisecracks from Quentin from his "I haven't seen him get this worked up in a long time" to "When you get done with the staff, maybe we can go upstairs and watch you write a check", he was just a riot.

As to Quentin's not getting worked up why his plan didn't work out, well I still say that he had no guarantee Sandor's faked will would have held up in court, at least this will secures him a roof over his head.

Loved how Quentin flirted with Rachel in front of Beth in her room just to make her jealous. Despite her protests, Beth was clearly annoyed by it.

Awesome episode.

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
    • Jeannie's David Selby Site
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2009, 01:33:57 AM »
The other thing I wondered was: if Vicky had been transported back through time to 1897 instead of 1795 and had become the governess in Rachel's place, how would she have responded to the mysterious goings-on at Collinwood?

Excellent thought!  I think that Vicky, especially a pre time travel and witchcraft trial Vicky had MUCH more smarts and common sense on her worst day than Rachel on her best day.  That could have been a really interesting turn to the storyline.

OH the reading of the will.  What FUN!!  Judith is getting her own and then some.  She's long overdue for getting her own back from those guys. 

Quentin sensing weakness like a shark and closing in on poor upset Carl.....

Quentin has a pretty good idea going in that he's screwed, so he can just sit back and enjoy watching his brothers freaking out.  Poor Carl is nearly in tears -- and Edward is darned near homicidal.

Interesting how Q suggests to Edward that something could happen to Judith and Jamison get the money.  Edward said he can't do it -- but he sure showed he wouldnt have any objections if QUENTIN killed her.  Nothing like the dark underside of the outwardly respectable Victorian upper classes.

And Rachel arrives in Beth's room just in the nick of time.  He's really pushing the Victorian rake cliche there  -- how far WOULD he have pushed things if not interrupted.  He's been taking no for an answer so far, and later we find out how much of a bargain he's willing to make to get his way. 

Of course not enough can be said about Judith waking up Edward to let him know she was moving into Grandmamamamama's room  [rofl10].  One of the best scenes in the entire run of the show.

Jeannie

My David Selby Fansite (performance & book reviews): http://jwmediafanfiction.com/jeanniesdavidselbysite

My Dark Shadows Fest Pictures site:
http://jwmediafanfiction.com/dsfestpics

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2009, 01:00:23 PM »
Since I'm so late in posting this, what is there left to say?  [snow_huh] I agree with what everyone has said. I loved it when Judith gloated to her brothers about being the mistress of Collinwood! [snow_cheesy] I especially enjoyed it when she aroused Edward from his sleep just to inform him that she was taking Edith's old room.  [snow_smileydevil] Quentin's quips were quite entertaining. All three of the brothers had quite different reactions. Carl acted like a scorned child, Edward like an angry ogre, and Quentin like he enjoyed the whole thing. I think Quentin wasn't upset about the will because he got what he wanted: he could live at Collinwood forever, with no responsibilities. [snow_happy]

Rachel was pretty dense. She didn't take "no" for an answer. Like the saying goes, "Curiosity killed the cat!" [snow_shocked]

Well, I guess I found plenty to talk about, after all!  [snow_laugh] This was an excellent episode. [cheer] Kudos to all for their fantastic acting jobs! [clap2]

----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2009, 12:46:14 AM »
I think Quentin wasn't upset about the will because he got what he wanted: he could live at Collinwood forever, with no responsibilities. [snow_happy]

But in #718, we learn different. [winkb]

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2009, 01:20:21 AM »
Oh, yeah, Midnite! That's right! I forgot! [6184] Well... a more accurate way to say it, then, is that Quentin thought he had no responsibilities! [snow_wink]

----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2009, 01:34:07 AM »
I meant the "got what he wanted" part.  But any more would be a spoiler.   [cheesyb]

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2009, 02:15:43 AM »
Oh, OK, Midnite. [snow_wink]

----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline Roland

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2009, 04:58:38 AM »
Talk about an episode where everyone and everything is working on all cylinders!  That will-reading scene is fantastic, brilliantly written, staged and performed - and the scene in Beth's room is nearly as good.  Only the drippy Rachel drags it down.  She's definitely out of her league with these people.