Author Topic: Thomas Pynchon and DS  (Read 715 times)

Offline Bette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • Quentin, you have no future.
    • View Profile
Thomas Pynchon and DS
« on: January 07, 2010, 11:27:22 PM »
I don't think this has been mentioned here yet. Apologies if it has. I could not get the "search" function to work for me.

Thomas Pynchon's newest novel "Inherent Vice" mentions Dark Shadows on page 128. This book is set in LA around 1969, and is full of 60's references, especially TV. The main characters all seem to be, in Pynchon's words, "dopers" who watch a lot of television.

In the paragraph, the narrator tells us that they are watching Dark Shadows and it is "around the point in the Collins family saga when the story line had begun to get heavily into something called "parallel time," which was confounding the viewing audience nationwide, even those who remained with their wits about them, although many dopers found no problem at all in following it. It seemed basically to mean that the same actors were playing two different roles, but if you'd gotten absorbed enough, you tended to forget that these people were actors."

Pynchon either has great researchers or he was a fan.  [snow_cheesy]
Life works if you let it

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Pynchon and DS
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 11:48:04 PM »
This has not been mentioned before, Bette. And thanks so much for pointing it out for us.  [snow_smiley]

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
Re: Thomas Pynchon and DS
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 01:04:46 AM »
I find that rather amusing.  [snow_grin]
Julia99