Author Topic: back from fest...  (Read 3292 times)

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
back from fest...
« on: August 16, 2004, 03:31:23 AM »
actually i got back last night...i was a daytripper.thanks for the photos joeytrom.midnite,prof. stokes was going to introduce us but we lost track of you.
since i was there but briefly i can say only that dianna millay is something else.i had her autograph her book on halloween and when i told her i enjoyed her 1966 story but had yet to watch her 1897 story she told me she had no idea what i was talking about.when i reminded her that she appeared on the show during two different stories she told me she doesn't remember anything about the show and in fact has never even seen it :P.i couldn't tell if she was just being coy.john karlen is nuts.k.l.s is as sweet as maggie.
i lost my program for the fest and they told me i would have to buy a new one.the nerve!my souvenier this year was a sterling silver victoria winters charm :-*.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: back from fest...
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2004, 03:47:45 AM »
I wish I was able to meet some of you, I still haven't after all this time,  though I did meet Stuart and Guy Haines in passing a couple of years ago.

Perhaps because Diana was on DS for a short period of time during both storylines, it is basically all a blur to her. 

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2004, 06:00:41 AM »
Hmmmm...hasn't she made a second career out of being Laura?  ;D  Seems odd that she suddenly doesn't remember anything about the series.

Offline jennifer

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2004, 02:48:24 PM »
Hmmmm...hasn't she made a second career out of being Laura?  ;D  Seems odd that she suddenly doesn't remember anything about the series.

then why was she there?

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline tripwire

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2004, 08:01:36 PM »
That does seem strange that she does not recall her role on DS, guess that would rule her out of any Q and A  that they may have..I would think that since she does attend the DS get togethers, that she may want to bone up on the show, or at least the roles that she played, at least to be able to chat with the fans about it.  
its a sudden death that i know, my father wrote me to say that, my cousin, uncle jeremiah was, was very disturbed.

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2004, 08:19:01 PM »
During the Q & A with Darren Gross on the NODS restoration, DM basically just sat there while JK, DS, & LP took part in the discussion.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2004, 08:39:13 PM »
Hi Joey, well, I remember Diana saying she was going to tell a story on Sunday about the night she spent at Lyndhurst (for some reason, she wound up sleeping there--not sure why, or how).  Unfortunately I had to miss her appearance on Sunday.

I think she does remember some things from working on DS--just nothing to do with the plot.  Most of the actors don't remember any of the plots.  Even Lara Parker, who writes DS novels (and is almost finished a new one) couldn't remember answers to plot related questions lobbed at her by some of the fans.

I well remember a good friend of mine asking Lara what she thought of her time playing Cassandra. She gave him a blank look and said, emphatically, that she had no memory of playing anyone by that name!

I only tell this because Lara has actually watched some of the shows and done work on the storylines for her novels.  You can imagine how much less the other actors, who don't write DS fiction, would remember about the actual stories.

Another memory is of David Selby and John Karlen appearing on stage together a few years back in NYC.  Someone at the Festival had made a showcase video that was a string of clips of the two actors as Desmond and Quentin from the 1840 story.  Both of them were very impressed by this, and they both made remarks indicating that it was the first time they had seen these shows since 1970!  Selby kept talking about how good the show looked and how well all of it played.  I think it made him realize that there is a reason why some of us still enjoy watching these old tapes.

G.

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2004, 08:51:45 PM »
I had a confusing experience at Diana's table in the dealer room myself.  She was starting to explain some things about the Halloween book and sort of vered off into something kind of garbled about witches. She sure lost me.  I was actually there to get a photo and autograph from her but they couldn't change a $20.  So I said I'd come back later and, when I did, I heard her tell someone in line that she was only going to sign her books. This seemed odd to me since she was also selling 8X10 glossies.  Who knows, I may not have heard what I thought I did.

What I'd like to know is what was she talking about when she was on stage during the Q&A session when she mentioned her very strange experience at Lyndhurst when she spent the night there during the filming of NODs?  She said she was saving it for another session but that it was the scariest thing she had ever experienced.  If any of you attended and heard this story or have heard it before please post!
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2004, 11:03:16 PM »
  I was actually there to get a photo and autograph from her but they couldn't change a $20.  So I said I'd come back later and, when I did, I heard her tell someone in line that she was only going to sign her books. This seemed odd to me since she was also selling 8X10 glossies.  Who knows, I may not have heard what I thought I did.

I was there when she told a guy in line that she wouldn't sign an autograph unless he bought something and he started to make an issue of it by informing us on the line that she would not sign the fest books.  She mentioned out that this was not an autograph line but a sales line.

I did buy her Halloween book, but I haven't read it yet.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2004, 12:47:49 AM »
i read diana's book(i bought it online and had her autograph it at the fest).it's very strange and has some scary recipes.she didn't tell me that she doesn't remember the plot of the show but actually doesn't remember anything about it at all.strange.it's funny how minor characters like laura and willie have made sort of a cottage industry out of the show.

another fest moment i forgot to mention was nancy barrett doing a "garbo".she wandered around the hotel lobby in a large hat and sunglasses ::).

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2004, 01:07:18 AM »
strange.it's funny how minor characters like laura and willie have made sort of a cottage industry out of the show.

Minor characters?  Willie Loomis....a minor character?

I think not.... ;)

And I saw and heard for myself that John Karlen can be very  entertaining.  He certainly was gracious and funny and quite endearing when I spoke with him.
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2004, 01:52:20 AM »
perhaps "minor" was a poor choice of words :-X.rather they were "supporting" characters.not truly "leads" like barnabas,julia or quentin.

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2004, 03:12:02 AM »
john karlen is nuts.
YES! And in the very BEST possible way! He literally made the festival for me both times I have been able to go!

I love this guy!

WARNING: DO NOT ATTEMPT TO DIS HIM IN MY PRESENSE!!!  ;)

“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2004, 07:56:14 AM »
And I saw and heard for myself that John Karlen can be very  entertaining.  He certainly was gracious and funny and quite endearing when I spoke with him.

Hi Rainey!!  I certainly agree!  He was so nice to talk to and really made my Mom smile & laugh at the banquet dinner!!  She had been really down the past few days because she lost her beloved pet dog after 14 1/2 years.  So JK really made her day and I was happy to see her laughing a bit!!

Cassandra
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Mary

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2004, 09:50:14 AM »
Well, this is a very interesting discussion!  Diana Millay has at past Fests remembered many details about being on the show, so I don't know what her problem is with her sudden amnesia this time!  She usually goes onstage and starts talking about how Laura was the perfect role for her because she "is" the phoenix or something and all these supernatural things have happened to her, and about being pregnant on the show, and about Louis Edmonds playing her husband.  In fact, before Louis died (sob!), whenever they were onstage together they used to joke and act like they were married.

John Karlen is a riot!  Loved when he went up to the microphone in the audience when Kathryn Leigh Scott and Denise Nickerson were onstage (I think it was them anyway) and asked if any of the DS actors had affairs with each other while they were on the show!!  LOL!!!!  Glad he made your mom's day, Cassandra.  (Sorry I missed saying goodbye to you -- again! -- ack!)