Author Topic: the time has come  (Read 2811 times)

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
the time has come
« on: May 02, 2005, 10:49:11 PM »
over the weekend i received what are,for me,a very signifigant group of episodes.original series volume 79...the final alexandra moltke vicki episodes.

i started watching the show from episode one("my name is victoria winters...my journey is beginning...").for various reasons it's taken me over three years just to get to this point in the show.so victoria winters has been a part of my life for a long time.

true,the character deteriorated greatly after 1795 but she was still around and for whatever reason i found her to be a comforting presence on the show.a quiet note in a cacophony of over-the-top characters.her placidness(often criticized)reassuring.i felt like when i was seeing vicki i was watching "dark shadows".

i know i can always go back and re-watch her episodes but i wanted to get through this whole thing once before i re-watched favorite storylines.even though barnabas became the stand-out character from the show i feel as though vicki was at it's heart and when i watch future episodes her absence will be a large void for me.i went into this knowing that she was only around for about two and a half years but i guess i got more attatched to her than i thought.

plus she was just so darn easy on the eyes.

anyways i couldn't bring myself to watch the episodes.the box is still sitting unopened.at the risk of sounding like a maj drama queen i'm really kind of sad. :'(

i know alot of you here consider vicki to be a total ditz but did anyone else experience a similar sense of "loss" when she exited the show.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Barnabas'sBride

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Re: the time has come
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2005, 01:28:19 AM »
I was sad to see her exit the show. I didn't like what was done to her (dumbing her down, not giving her a decent storyline) after 1795, but I still liked Victoria as a character. I would've liked to have seen AM stick with show and be given better roles in the storylines. I think it would've been possible for them to do more with Victoria, so it's a shame the actress left the series.

It was sort of the end of a DS era when she left.

Offline AndreDuPres

• Full Poster
  • I don't know, Barnabas. I just don't know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2005, 01:34:46 AM »
I completely agree:  I started watching Dark Shadows on the Sci-Fi channel when the Adam storyline was running bumpily along during the summer about three years ago.  I grew rather attached to Vicki, too.  I did like her placid serenity and how she was so calm amongst all that Dream Curse/Adam hysteria.  True, she was a total ditz by that point, but when Alexandra walked up those stairs never to return again, I was very disappointed--especially when the next voiceover or so declared "Betsy Durkin will be playing the part of Victoria Winters" or some such statement.  I didn't realise until that point how Vicki really was the "heart" of the show.  If only Carolyn Groves had been hired before Betsy Durkin...the character may have been salvaged.  I would definitely advise you to keep on watching the show, though. There are many great moments ahead despite Alexandra's departure.  Just try not to abandon the show when you watch those horrendous Jeff and Vicki "romance" scenes coming up between Roger Davis and Betsy Durkin.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2005, 12:35:58 AM »
thanks for the words b.b. and a.d.
i still haven't watched the episodes ::).

i was sort of disappointed that the topic of vicki's departure didn't inspire more thoughts.hmmmmmm. :-

Offline nedstuart

• Junior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2005, 04:59:23 PM »
Alexandra Moltke is my favorite actress on the show and when I seen her last episode adn then they brought on Betsy Durkin it just wasn't the same. She laked Alexandra's innocence and certainly was not able to carry the character after Alexandra. It was unfortunate that she was not allowed to come back in the role that she would have liked to of played or for Vicki to get out of the duldrums sort of speak. But even after 1795 I still love Alexandra and Vicki both.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2005, 08:18:23 PM »
i was sort of disappointed that the topic of vicki's departure didn't inspire more thoughts.hmmmmmm.

I can't speak for others, but as much as I enjoy Vicki, particularly during DS' first year, her departure coincides with the beginning of Quentin's haunting and signals that the best (IMO) and the most popular part of DS (1897) is yet to come. Yes, Alexandra Moltke's and finally Vicki's complete departure are somewhat bittersweet. But let's face it, by the time AM leaves the show, Vicki is simply a shadow (pun fully intended) of her former self, so the facts that first the actress and then the character are finally put out of her misery are actually blessings.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2005, 11:52:03 PM »
Ouch! :o

Offline stefan

• Full Poster
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2005, 12:17:05 AM »
Vicki is simply a shadow (pun fully intended) of her former self, so the facts that first the actress and then the character are finally put out of her misery are actually blessings.

I think that's true but feel one of the main reasons the writers lost interest in Vickie, or in developing her, was in the changing role of Dr. Julia Hoffman whom, in my opinion, took over the role of interpreter and straight-man to the Collins family. And, of course, we all know GH was married to the head writer. Vickie could not have remained the same innocent but I could see her as helping Barnabas getting back to the past, or in helping catch Barnabas or stop him from attacking people etc. etc. there were many possibilities but Julia Hoffman got them all. I'm not sure if the Julia/Barnabas relationship helped DS any or was even neccessary.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2005, 01:06:04 AM »
since the show seemed to make itself up as it went along i like to think that the deterioration of the writing for vicki was not a deliberate act("let's shaft this girl!")but an unintended slight that snowballed as time went on until it was almost too late to turn back.didn't dan curtis always want her back?

but it's true that dr.hoffman took over as "straight man" to those crazy collins'.i like julia alot and she was an integral part of the story(i prefer her before 1795 in a more adversarial role)but her prominence does become somewhat overblown(and remarkable in it's nepotism when you know the backstory).

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2005, 02:14:41 AM »
Barnabas would NEVER have had the same relationship with Victoria that he did with Julia.  Vicky was a Sweet Young Thing that he saw in a purely romantic light.  She was not his  equal, and he would never have depended upon her the way he did Julia.

Julia was a grown woman to Vicky's little girl.  Julia had the medical and educational background to be of tremendous help and support to Barnabas.  He may have loved and desired Vicky, but he admired and needed Julia.  I don't think the roles could have been reversed and still have been believable.

Having said that, I agree that the dumbing down of Vicky Winters was a pointless travesty, and I can only imagine how infuriating it must have become for Ms. Moltke to endure before she finally gave it up.
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Heather

• Senior Poster
  • It's an Orbach's, darling...
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2005, 05:16:03 AM »
Barnabas would NEVER have had the same relationship with Victoria that he did with Julia. Vicky was a Sweet Young Thing that he saw in a purely romantic light. She was not his equal, and he would never have depended upon her the way he did Julia.
Julia was a grown woman to Vicky's little girl. Julia had the medical and educational background to be of tremendous help and support to Barnabas. He may have loved and desired Vicky, but he admired and needed Julia. I don't think the roles could have been reversed and still have been believable.

Well said, Rainey... [thumb]

W: http://hrh22.home.comcast.net

In case you didn't realize....Julia rules!  :-*

Offline Miles

• ** Time Traveling Orphan Governess **
  • Full Poster
  • Witch Hunter Robin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2005, 08:45:11 AM »
I liked Vicki early on.  DS was a solid gothic drama and she was the reasonably likeable protagonist.  She was a part of storylines.  Whatever uniqueness her character had was actually utilized as part of the stories (as opposed to later when her history/personality stops being a factor and she's either in bait or love interest roles).  She had really nice hair.

When it comes to AM's departure, I was really just hoping for a decent send off (which I didn't exactly get- I found it tough to root for Vicki + Peter as a couple).  I mean, her character was really insufferable.  She didn't want to be there and *really* didn't want to do scenes with Roger Davis.  The only reasons I was sad to see her go were a) all the built up good-will and empathy I had for VIcki and b) AM was smokin' hot for most of 1968 (sorry).
Three hundred and twenty years have passed since the coven sank in the dark...

Offline stefan

• Full Poster
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2005, 11:36:11 AM »
Barnabas would NEVER have had the same relationship with Victoria that he did with Julia.  Vicky was a Sweet Young Thing that he saw in a purely romantic light.  She was not his  equal, and he would never have depended upon her the way he did Julia.

Was never a fan of either the Julia/Barnabas or the Vickie/Barnabas romantic pairings (as they were - sort of a tease here and there). My statement has nothing to do about romance. I consider Josette to be Barnabas' true mate. I honestly don't see why Vickie could not have developed into a mature, thoughtful, sensitive and interesting character fully capable of being Barnabas' equal or anyone else equal on the show. It's ridiculous to presume Vickie was to remain a "sweet young thing". I liked Julia as the tough-minded doctor observing and helping despite her own ambitions and desire for fame. I could even imagine Vickie and Julia as a team dealing with the "Barnabas issue". It seems though, that the character of Julia took everything.

Offline onyx_treasure

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2005, 08:33:58 PM »
     I don't think the Julia/Barnabas/Vicki team seems viable.  Threes a crowd.  How would  Vicki/Julia handle the sweet young thing of the month?  If Julia and Vicki had romances on the side while helping Barnabas and his sweet young thing of the month, it would be awfully crowded and maybe a little kinky. :o
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life--music and cats.  Albert Schweitzer

Offline stefan

• Full Poster
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2005, 09:03:38 PM »
I don't think the Julia/Barnabas/Vicki team seems viable.  Threes a crowd.  How would  Vicki/Julia handle the sweet young thing of the month?

OK, I get that Julia might have a crush on Barnabas but really don't see Vickie as having any romantic interest in Barnabas at all (nor do I believe she ever did have). I see the Julia/Vickie team and the "Barnabas issue" as strictly business, science and just plain helping out a wierd and fascinating situation. I mean, how many 175 yr old vampires does one come across usually? Why couldn't Vickie have a purely intellectual interest in Barnabas and his situation? One of Vickie's best qualities was concern for people and her desire to help and she loved the past.
Oh, and I see both Julia and Vickie having romance on the side (other storylines) independant of Barnabas.