Author Topic: Official Dark Shadows Resurrected Soundtrack!!!  (Read 8948 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Official Dark Shadows Resurrected Soundtrack!!!
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2010, 05:15:17 AM »
I can't say that for me it's a case of Us and Them because I'm a fan to varying degrees of all the versions of DS (the lowest on my scale being hoDS - but that's an entirely different discussion). And when it comes to the daytime vs the '91 series I love them both in basically the same way that a parent loves all his/her children. They both have their strengths and their weaknesses and I pretty much refuse to choose.  [ghost_smiley]

That being said, though, there's a difference between simply not mentioning something will be available at the Fest and not mentioning its availability at all. I can accept the possibility that not everything that has always been made available at the Fest has been prepubliciized - but I never recall in all the years I've been involved in DS fandom that a piece of DS merchandise hasn't been announced the minute it becomes available. In fact, more often than not merchandise is announced by TPTB well in advance of its availability and in multiple places. And the fact that there wasn't the slightest peep from TPTB about this soundtrack being released not only seems like a slap in the face to the '91 series' fans, whether intended or not - it's beyond absurd because, even if it might be true that the fans of the '91 series could be a small faction of total DS fandom, their money is just as good as the fans of any other version of DS' money is.  [ghost_wink]

RachelDrummand

« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2010, 05:20:41 AM »
And the fact that there wasn't the slightest peep from TPTB about this soundtrack being released not only seems like a slap in the face to the '91 series' fans, whether intended or not - it's beyond absurd because, even if it might be true that the fans of the '91 series could be a small faction of total DS fandom, their money is just as good as the fans of any other version of DS' money is.  [ghost_wink]

That's exactly how I feel, Mysterious Benefactor, that I've been slapped in the face.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2010, 05:34:57 AM »
The first I heard about a '91 soundtrack was a quick mention on Saturday by Cobert.  I gave Bette a WTH look before deciding he must be joking.  Was there any other official mention of it during the rest of the Fest?

But the auctions on both days did include what seemed like a fair amount of "OOP" items from that series.

RachelDrummand

« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2010, 05:41:57 AM »
But the auctions on both days did include what seemed like a fair amount of "OOP" items from that series.

What was sold at the auction? Only a quick mention? Sad...

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2010, 06:12:40 AM »
Umm, DS Resurrected vids and hardcovers, the entire series on VHS and some individual volumes, full set of Innovation comics, t-shirt

RachelDrummand

« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2010, 06:15:59 AM »
Ahh OK. Last year when I was there, they sold the complete shooting scripts for 300. I desperately wanted to bid on it but hubby wouldn't budge. But that's basically the same stuff they sold too. Of course the best of the best was sold back in the early 90's...Josette's music box. :(

Offline BrianPGH

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2010, 07:44:50 PM »
Last year when I was there, they sold the complete shooting scripts for 300. I desperately wanted to bid on it but hubby wouldn't budge.

Oh, how I'd love to have copies of those scripts!!

RachelDrummand

« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2010, 08:01:02 PM »
Wouldn't we all, Brian? I think we deserve an official book of the shooting scripts! That would just make my day. Heck, they came out with a complete script of Senfield

Offline BrianPGH

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2010, 08:12:38 PM »
Ooh, a book of Revival Series scripts... now you really have me dreaming!!  Something like that would be amazing

I just looked up the Seinfeld scripts book you mentioned.  It covers seasons 1 & 2 (17 episodes in total), and has a list price of $18.99.  I'd be willing to pay more than that, if necessary, for a collection of the DS: '91 scripts.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2010, 08:26:19 PM »
That's REALLY bizarre that the release of Bob Cobert's music for the 1991 DS was not mentioned at all by Shadowgram or other Festival Organs.  (I feel as if I'm writing for "Private Eye" now!)  I mean, I'm not that much of a fan of the 1991 show, but I'm interested in the new CD because of my fondness for Bob Cobert's music for the series.  I would expect a lot of other fans who are more focused on the original series would feel the same way.

It must have been a political decision on somebody's part to keep us in the dark about this new release.  Wonder why?  Has somebody out there decided they hate Bob Cobert?

They regularly mention 1991 series actors' participation in new projects so I see it as more directed against Cobert and his fans (if it's directed against anyone) rather than a slap in the face to fans of the 1991 version.  Just my take on it.

I look forward to hearing the new CD.  I wonder whether the "collector's set" of the original series soundtrack cues is still available?  I always thought I would pick it up once the prices went down but then I sort of forgot about it.  It wasn't really reviewed anywhere, was it?

DS fandom can be a very odd terrain at times...

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2010, 08:38:54 PM »
I see it as more directed against Cobert and his fans (if it's directed against anyone) rather than a slap in the face to fans of the 1991 version.  Just my take on it.

Yes, whereas some could attempt to make a case that it simply seems like a slap to '91 series fans, sadly, there's no question that it comes across as a slap to Cobert, which is very odd given how all the other soundtracks of his DS and Curtis-related music have always been prepublicized.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2010, 09:07:09 PM »
Delighted to see that new copies of the 8 CD original series score collection ARE still available on Amazon at a nice discount.

I was perturbed to see that apparently Amazon aren't carrying the 1991 soundtrack CD.  Very peculiar.  It only seems to be avalable through the link that was posted at the beginning of this thread.

There are substantial clips available for free listening, which is particularly fantastic since one of my complaints about the technical side of that 1991 TV show was that the score was often so poorly mixed as to be nearly inaudible--you'd just hear a faint tinkle of a piano which seemed to be down the hall and in the "closed off wing," or something that might have been Ima Fly's attempt at a cameo or a string pizzicato...

But, I'm not supposed to be COMPLAINING about the deficiencies of that show here... It's great news for ALL fans that this set is now available!  Yes, fans, there are TWO CDs of this amazing music available!  As far as I am concerned the music may have been in many ways the best side of the entire project.  (Although I will always love the moment when Barbara Steele informs Jean Simmons that "the professor has been a bit DOTTY these days.)

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2010, 09:14:18 PM »
The '91 series' soundtrack is available from a few other sites (Amazon not being one) - but it's more expensive at all of them than it is at screenarchives.com.

RachelDrummand

« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2010, 09:42:51 PM »
Yes, whereas some could attempt to make a case that it simply seems like a slap to '91 series fans, sadly, there's no question that it comes across as a slap to Cobert, which is very odd given how all the other soundtracks of his DS and Curtis-related music have always been prepublicized.

It's a slap in the face to BOTH then. As you just said, all of his previous music for the original was released. I think it has more to do with it being the revival and TPTB simply assuming that the fans no longer care about the revival soundtrack. I can imagine they have made a limited number of copies which is why I bought my copy right away.

RachelDrummand

« Reply #44 on: July 22, 2010, 09:46:37 PM »
Ooh, a book of Revival Series scripts... now you really have me dreaming!!  Something like that would be amazing.

I just looked up the Seinfeld scripts book you mentioned.  It covers seasons 1 & 2 (17 episodes in total), and has a list price of $18.99.  I'd be willing to pay more than that, if necessary, for a collection of the DS: '91 scripts.

Gosh wouldn't that just be delightful? In addition to the scripts, it could be filled with pictures, interviews from the cast/writers/etc... *sighs* It also saddens me that the comic book series didn't last that long. I bought the first volume but was told that the books take place during the 6 months Barnabas is getting treatment. I think it would have been better to continue on with where the series ended, that way we would have had something.