Author Topic: Scariest moments on Dark Shadows  (Read 3393 times)

Offline Amy Jennings Fan

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
Scariest moments on Dark Shadows
« on: March 02, 2005, 07:36:44 PM »
What was the scariest moment on Dark Shadows for you? For me it was when Maggie Evans dreamed she was lost in the woods and she found a coffin with her inside it.
No Jesus, no peace. Know jesus ,know peace.

Offline The Ghost of Sarah Collins

• Senior Poster
  • Do You Know My Brother Barnabas...
    • View Profile
Re: Scariest moments on Dark Shadows
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2005, 03:36:26 AM »
The single moment that gave me chills was the episode in which David had taken a picture of Barnabas and Carolyn by the front doors of Collinwood... when the photo was developed we all could see what looked like someone hanging in the background, it was then Barnabas knew that Victoria must have been hanged as a [Witch00] upon leaving the present for the past... That photo give me chills even to this day  :o  :-
The Ghost of Sarah Collins (1784-1795)
Sister to Barnabas...@}{~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"That evil is wicked is well understood,
the wicked are punished so you must be good"
(Sarah to Barnabas)

Offline Roland

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2005, 11:39:16 PM »
When I was watching the show in the 60's and 70's, I remember one moment that made me lose sleep.

It was when David and his blonde (girl) friend (can't rmember her name) were in the dark room developing pictures and I think it was the ghost of Gerard who appeared above them - or something like that.  It's been awhile since I saw the scene so some of the details are a bit vague, but I sure remember tossing and turning quite a bit that night.

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2005, 11:48:53 PM »
It was when David and his blonde (girl) friend (can't rmember her name)  but I sure remember tossing and turning quite a bit that night.

With GOOD reason Roland...with good reason.

PS..her name is Carrie Stokes...and she's one of the most beloved DS characters.

[9122]

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Ian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2005, 12:02:37 AM »
When I was watching the show in the 60's and 70's, I remember one moment that made me lose sleep.

It was when David and his blonde (girl) friend (can't rmember her name) were in the dark room developing pictures and I think it was the ghost of Gerard who appeared above them - or something like that.  It's been awhile since I saw the scene so some of the details are a bit vague, but I sure remember tossing and turning quite a bit that night.

I could have sworn that he was looking at the picture with Carolyn...*searches*

Aha, I found it!

From DarkShadows.com (synopsis of episode 1077):

[spoiler]Daphne appears to Quentin, then later to David and gives him a model boat. Daphne leads Quentin to a room which has a unfinished letter that is incoherent. Carolyn is still upset about her husband's death. Carolyn, Maggie, Quentin and David go on a picnic and David takes photos. When David develops the photos he feels there is a strange figure in one of the pictures; Gerard Stiles watches Carolyn and David looking at the photograph.[/spoiler]

I think the scariest moment for me, that I can remember off the top of my head, may seem odd...but oh well.

It would be when
[spoiler]Carolyn was staying at Sky Rumson's house, and Jeb was lurking outside her room, and all you could hear was his breathing...very suspenseful scary.[/spoiler] :)

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2005, 01:56:53 AM »
Vicki hearing sobbing in the middle of the night. Sounds moved around. Increased and diminished but no fixed location.

This would be back in the days when the lighting people bothered to do their jobs . . .
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2005, 02:06:35 AM »
  One scene that gave me nightmares (and still does sometimes) happens in one of the black & white '67 episodes.  Maggie Evans, the entranced vampire's victim, stands alone in the graveyard.  We hear the dogs howling mournfully.  Slowly, Barnabas emerges from the mist.  He looks almost demonic.  His eyes are dark and he has an unearthly eeriness about him.  We can just barely make out the fangs in his mouth as he approaches Maggie - cue chilling music.  Brrrr.  That scene still freaks me out.

Some of DS the storylines/scenes gave me awful nightmares when I was younger, and I still occasionally have DS related nightmares... but I always come back for more!   8)

~Penny Dreadful~
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline stefan

• Full Poster
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2005, 02:13:33 AM »
One scene that gave me nightmares (and still does sometimes) happens in one of the black & white '67 episodes.  Maggie Evan', the entranced vampire's victim, stands alone in the graveyard.  We hear the dogs howling mournfully.  Slowly, Barnabas emerges from the mist.  He looks almost demonic.  His eyes are dark and he has an unearthly eeriness about him.  We can just barely make out the fangs in his mouth as he approaches Maggie - cue chilling music.  Brrrr.  That scene still freaks me out.

That whole Black & White Maggie and Barnabas segment was the scariest for me.
I find most of DS very wild, gothic and romantic but never feel a bit scared. My friends tease me about my Dark Shadows addiction, that I must like "scary" stuff but I tell them it's rarely frightening. I feel Barnabas is the most tragic but Jason McGuire the scariest.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2005, 03:59:57 AM »
Vicki hearing sobbing in the middle of the night. Sounds moved around. Increased and diminished but no fixed location.

Agreed. All of those sobbing scenes, right through and including the latter one with Mrs. Johnson after she'd first moved into Collinwood, were very effective, particularly how they teased the audience as to whether the sobs were from a real person, Josette's ghost, or possibly something else.  [scrdy]

This would be back in the days when the lighting people bothered to do their jobs . . .

The atmosphere in the B&W episodes is often quite extraordinary. I love all the candlelit scenes at the Old House. They have an eerieness that was somehow lost when the show went to color.

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2005, 07:24:57 AM »
Not the scariest but one of the most dramatically horrifying was the Angelique - Alexis one:

[spoiler]The living Alexis touches the "dead" body of her identical twin Angelique in the coffin.  The warmth of the touch revives Angelique, who not only comes alive, but after questioning Alexis for necessary info, proceeds to take the warmth from her, fully reviving herself and leaving Alexis dead in the coffin.[/spoiler]

I think about the only part that really bothered me in a scary sort of way were the first views of Gerard in 1995.  He had that really pronounced sneer and would suddenly appear and watch them.  It was v-e-r-y unnerving.
Josette

Offline Mark Rainey

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2005, 04:11:56 PM »
For me, it was the heavy-breathing Leviathan in the sealed room at the Todd's. One of the show's best examples of how showing nothing works better than showing something. The Leviathans episodes were just beginning when I started watching DS regularly as a kid, so it's one of my earliest memories of the show.

--M
http://home.triad.rr.com/smrainey

Offline Autumn

• I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2005, 08:36:49 PM »
I think the scariest moments on the show involed barnbabs collins!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2005, 09:31:02 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Autumn.  :)

Offline FireRose

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2005, 10:34:58 PM »
For me it was the scenes when Barnabas was trying to do Julia in. He was cruel in those scenes.

And did you ever notice that for some strange reason Julia always managed to let Barnabas back her into a corner or against the staircase in the old house.

A corner, with no way out, is not a good place to be when someone is trying to do you in.

FireRose

Offline Barnabas'sBride

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2005, 12:06:05 AM »
I thought Quentin and the old telephone was pretty chilling. Hardly anything frightens me when it comes to movie or shows, so there aren't  many moments on DS that I can think of that really scared me.