Author Topic: Episode #0454  (Read 465 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Episode #0454
« on: January 23, 2008, 07:38:52 PM »
 [cryb]

Complete this phrase: "Noah was completely heartbroken to learn that once Nathan's Master Plan to get all of Millicent's money reached fruition, they would no longer be sharing any 'special rendezvouses' at the fishing shack to..."

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Episode #0454
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 12:38:29 PM »
...they would no longer be sharing any 'special rendezvouses' at the fishing shack to discuss knotty problems like whether the plural of rendezvous is rendezvous or rendevouses.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008, 05:15:40 PM »
That's "knotty" of you, Lydia.....
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2008, 04:49:55 AM »
knotty problems like whether the plural of rendezvous is rendezvous or rendevouses.

Well, according to the Merriam Webster Dictionary (which I checked before posting) it's rendezvouses, as anyone will see should they happen to look here[snow_wink]  One can also bring up several other dictionary listings by simply typing "rendezvouses" in any Google search box.  [snow_tongue]  It may not be seen/heard as often today as it was back in 1796 (when the setup takes place) or even a few decades ago - but then, so many correct words/spellings are rarely seen today  [snow_rolleyes]  (i.e. if one more person in my presence uses the adjective bad when they should be using the adverb badly, well, I may not be responsible for what might happen to them. (And in fact, one of my all-time favorite scenes on Lost was when Locke corrected Boone on the proper usage of bad vs. badly. I literally cheered in my seat!  [snow_laugh]))

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2008, 06:43:51 PM »
Funny, that one doesn't bother me much.    I'm driven nuts by "could care less" when it should be "couldn't care less".    On boards, it's to/too and lose/loose.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 07:02:29 PM »
I'm aware that rendezvouses is acceptable; I checked Spellcheck before I posted, and it gave me rendezvouses as well as rendezvous's.  I couldn't figure out why it was having a problem with the original word.  I swear I went over it letter by letter.  Of course, as soon as I looked at the responses to the post, I saw what I did wrong, in honor of which I offer the following response, sure to have everybody rolling in the aisles:

...they would no longer be sharing any 'special rendezvouses' at the fishing shack to discuss knotty problems like how many Z's the French edition of Scrabble should have.