Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0558  (Read 1158 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0558
« on: June 04, 2008, 08:12:37 PM »

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0558
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 11:13:00 AM »
We have arrived at Adam's threat to destroy the entire Collins family, a threat that will bounce around the various Dark Shadows sets for the next few weeks, and annoy me tremendously.  In the immortal words of WS Gilbert, "Sigh, sigh, all sigh."

Adam certainly is putty in Nicholas's hands.  Stokes asks Adam to think, but Nicholas does Adam's thinking for him, and Adam says, "You're right."  Adam is still very young.

Julia had a tough decision to make.  She knows that Adam has done some very bad things in his short life, including causing the death of Sam Evans, and now she is asked to create a mate for him.  Adam said he would kill Vicky if she didn't - but how can Julia know that the mate would not cause just as much harm as Adam has?  How many other lives will Vicky's life cost?

Stokes made a sly suggestion to Julia: that she was less fond of Vicky than Barnabas was.  And everybody knows that it's true, because she is not in love with Vicky the way Barnabas is, but there was also a hint that Julia is less than fond of Vicky because it is Vicky and not herself whom Barnabas loves.  Under the circumstances, Julia's response was remarkably sincere-sounding, when she said that indeed she was as fond of Vicky as Barnabas was.

I wish Thayer David had deleted the incorrect use of "hopefully" from Stokes's lines, but he did not.  In the immortal words of WS Gilbert, "Weep, weep, all weep."

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 09:26:14 AM »
Nicholas sure had a way with Adam. Adam was putty in Nicholas' hands. Adam thought about what Prof. Stokes said and came around to his way of thinking, but Nicholas was able to turn him around, yet again. For a moment, Adam was confused and didn't know who was right; but, unfortunately, Nicholas succeeded in persuading Adam that he was right, and Prof. Stokes was tricking him. That really made me angry! [ghost_mad]

Julia was able to find out about the marks on Tom Jennings' neck, which only confirmed Barnabas' and her suspicions. I'm surprised that they didn't figure out that it was Angelique. [ghost_shocked]

----- Sally -----
[coolg] [hippy2]

----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 10:30:06 PM »
lydia,

you're right about adam's threat to "destroy the collins family".a big,fat,lame bore of a plotline.

it's like suddenly vicki wasn't enough.they had to up the ante and not just threaten her but everyone else on the show too.it was all a moot point too since savvy viewers knew they would not kill off most of the cast.it was a hollow threat and one without an once of suspense.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2008, 06:40:56 AM »
I don't think that the threat was necessarily meant to create suspense for the audience.  I think it was just to provide a sufficiently bad alternative to keep Barnabas and Julia working on the project.
Josette

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2008, 01:39:13 AM »
But it does put in the idea that Barnabas and Julia, do things to save the family and they are the saviors, even when they do bad things.  There are many different instances where they do things to save the family.

Why didn't they think it was Angelique, she was missing when they came back to the house after she had died.

I wish that the writers would have written the smarter at times.

By the way, Adam is just like Barnabas. When they want something they don't always think thing trough.
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2008, 02:47:47 AM »
It was frusterating to see Nicholas convince Adam that Professor Stokes was trying to trick him...and down right infuriating to see Adam so easily believe it too. [ghost_mad]

Since he's known him, Stokes has taken Adam under his wing, gave him shelter, gave him food, been teaching him. He's the one person (besides Sam Evans) who's gone out of his way to be kind to Adam. If Adam had one ounce of common sense he'd realize that Stokes would be the last person in the world who'd want to deceive him.. But I guess Adam doesn't have any common sense...either that or he chooses not to use it. [ghost_sleep]

I agree, Adam's constant threats every time he's on screen is irritating.