Author Topic: Patience IS a virture cousins!  (Read 1815 times)

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
Patience IS a virture cousins!
« on: July 08, 2007, 02:39:03 AM »
Amazon has announced that the first pre-Barnabas boxset comes out this August 28th!  And for ONLY $42, not the, what was it, $60 that MPI was gouging us for?  See below...

=============================

Dark Shadows: The Beginning

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
List Price: $59.98

Price: $41.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping. Details
You Save: $17.99 (30%)

Pre-Order Price Guarantee! Order now and if the Amazon.com price decreases between your order time and release date, you'll receive the lowest price. 

Availability: This title will be released on August 28, 2007. Pre-order now! Ships from and sold by Amazon.com. Gift-wrap available.  

=============
Go to Amazon and order it cousins.   8)
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline Phil

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Patience IS a virture cousins!
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2007, 03:42:46 AM »
Deep Discount DVD has it for the same price, and offers free shipping.

http://www.deepdiscount.com/viewproduct.htm?productId=16235703

"It's not Star Trek, there's not a convention every week. If I miss this, it's a three year dry spell." - Patton Oswalt on DS

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2007, 04:40:08 PM »
Here's a link to the topic "DS: The Beginning DVD" on the Current Talk '07 I board, with discussion about and links to the original announcement on TVShowsonDVD.com as well as to other sites (DVD Empire, Amazon, and Deep Discount) and their pricing:

TVShowsonDVD.com just posted a news item indicating that the pre-Barnabas episodes will be available from retail sources (as opposed to the current exclusive MPI situation) beginning in late August. ...

Offline Brian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2007, 01:13:52 AM »
As a DS-DVD club member for nearly three years, I've received many percs with the membership, and I have already received three of the six pre-Barnabas sets, with the fourth one expected mid-August.  Yes, I paid the $59.99 price, but shipping WAS free via USPS, and the DVD sets arrived pretty quickly after being mailed.  The plus for me is that I get the 6th pre-Barnabas set for free!  And four of the five bobbleheads were $1.00 each, with the plexiglass "coffin" storage/display case for free.  (I would never have paid full price or even considered buying these bobbleheads, but for a buck each, why not?  I did complete the collection by paying MPI's priice for the werewolf--but now with a complete set, I'll start watching and waiting for the best time to make a nice profit on the whole set on eBay!  Even it it takes several years.   ;D)  So, I guess I don't feel like I've been gouged--but that's just my opinion and experience.  Brian

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2007, 02:15:15 PM »
Everything you say is true of course Brian, and if one wants to avail themselves of the perks as you say ($1 bobbleheads etc...) then yes, joining the club IS the answer.  And of course getting the 6th box set free (in the case of the final sets/first year of the show) after paying for the first five is also nice.  However, if you do the math, you'll pay a total of at least 299.95 for all 6 (really just the first 5 since the 6th is free)--don't know if this price includes tax but if not you'll spend a little more than that, but if you buy (and pay for) all 6 from Amazon at 41.99 a pop (total price-free shipping), you'll pay a total of 251.94.

Getting them from Amazon, even having to actually pay for all 6, you'll save at least 48.01.  Me personally, I'd rather save nearly 50 bucks and use that money for the Fest or something!    8)  Just my $48.01!   ;D
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Patience is an attribute, cousins!
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2007, 01:16:18 AM »
I had never seen the pre-Barnabas episodes before I started getting the DVDs from MPI, and I'm enjoying the daily slideshow 25% more this year because I have seen the early episodes.  Just my 25% worth.

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2007, 08:35:47 PM »
I caught that on an Amazon email or something!!!  Unfortunately - I caved awhile ago and I'm now on my 3rd Beginning set.

I can't even think about it... [ashamed3]

(Apparently I need to work on my virtues.)
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline Brian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2007, 03:45:26 AM »
Getting them from Amazon...you'll save at least 48.01.  Me personally, I'd rather save nearly 50 bucks and use that money for the Fest or something!

Thanks, Buzz, for your opinions.  ;)  But I plan to make up the 50 dollarish difference in the future by selling those bobbleheads on eBay.  I can afford to be patient!  LOL

Brian

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2007, 03:06:59 PM »
Quote from: Brian
I plan to make up the 50 dollarish difference in the future by selling those bobbleheads on eBay

Well there ya go!  That'll work!   ;D
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2007, 08:46:48 PM »
My local ABC affiliate was doing a piece on new DVD releases this afternoon, and I was surprised to see a mention of "the first season of the Gothic soap opera Dark Shadows" as new television on DVD.  They even played a brief clip of Elizabeth and Roger ("Shouldn't you check on your son?"  "The little monster is asleep.")  I'm glad to see a focus on DS in the media, but I am surprised that this pre-Barnabas release was deemed noteworthy; I can't remember the news spotlighting any of the previous DS DVD releases.  Maybe the Johnny Depp news is putting anything DS-related on the radar?

ProfStokes

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2007, 09:13:40 PM »
My local ABC affiliate was doing a piece on new DVD releases this afternoon ... I am surprised that this pre-Barnabas release was deemed noteworthy

Perhaps the station has a new producer who's a person of taste with an appreciation of quality.  ;)