Author Topic: Influence on DS?  (Read 1370 times)

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Influence on DS?
« on: June 24, 2009, 03:11:00 AM »
Yes, it's me. I'm back. Sort of.

Anyhow, I've been hunting down every movie I can find with Eric Portman in it and screened this very recently. It's an odd movie. Wealthy eccentric artist spots bored young socialite and is instantly taken with her (and vice versa). He insists on living in an anachronistic manner (house lit by candlelight, servant asked to wear Dickensian kind of garb). They play some rather odd dress up games (not like that  [ghost_wink]). He's convinced they are the reincarnations of two former lovers. Spoiler-laden review here.  Lot of interesting similarities to DS.  A portrait that looks just like the heroine. Special room that he has just for her, etc. Couple of people have posited that the writers of the novel on which Vertigo is based might have been influenced by this as well.

I've only been able to find a copy on VHS and the print is awful, but I loved this.  Very much worth hunting down....

Oh and Christopher Lee and Lois Maxwell have very tiny parts in it.

"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: Influence on DS?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 09:31:04 PM »
Welcome back, my dear!  That movie sounds really fabulous.  I had read about it in Christopher Lee's autobiography and have seen references to it here and there.  Agree that Eric Portman is fab.

cheers, G.

Offline Charles_Ellis

• Senior Poster
  • Barnabas & Julia Forever!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 01:02:16 AM »
Personally, I've always thought an even more famous film inspired the Barnabas/Maggie storyline: does the name VERTIGO ring a bell?

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 03:35:29 PM »
Another one is the 1965 film, The Collector, with Terence Stamp and Samantha Eggar.  Actually a movie I would avoid seeing again because it's so very creepy.  A lot of the writing about Maggie's psychological torturing during her imprisonment by Barnabas seems to reference material from that film.

G.

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2009, 05:44:26 PM »
Personally, I've always thought an even more famous film inspired the Barnabas/Maggie storyline: does the name VERTIGO ring a bell?

Well, yes. Because I referenced that in the above post  [ghost_wink]

Actually, I was thinking less about Maggie and more about Vicki....
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga