Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0385  (Read 1642 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0385
« on: September 14, 2007, 09:17:28 PM »

Offline Sunny_Collins

• Senior Poster
  • True devotion! I love, love, love dear Barnabas!
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0385
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2007, 02:27:26 AM »
JL plays reverend Trask so excellently! He goes from playing mild mannered Tony to self-righteous Trask, with such a difference, it's almost hard to imagine both characters are played by the same person.

Vicki was quite arrogant and stubborn, refusing Nathan's offer of help, refusing to believe that she was in any danger. Too bad, she might have been able to be protected, at least for a time.

Abigail loves to have power over people and situations, she's practically gloating when she informs barnabas that Joshua has given her free rein in the matter of Vicki's guilt or innocence.

I do like reverend Trask, even though he's quite extreme, I believe his heart is in the right place. He truly wants to find the witch, and if it would have been proved that Angelique was the witch, he would have behave towards her just as he did with vicki.
Barnabas to little Sarah's ghost: "I forbid you to leave! I beg you to stay!"

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2007, 06:02:20 AM »
Abigail loves to have power over people and situations, she's practically gloating when she informs barnabas that Joshua has given her free rein in the matter of Vicki's guilt or innocence.

I do like reverend Trask, even though he's quite extreme, I believe his heart is in the right place. He truly wants to find the witch, and if it would have been proved that Angelique was the witch, he would have behave towards her just as he did with vicki.

Abigail has already made things fit in the way that she wants to. Vickie was so dumb in the begginning. Not wanting  any help.  Why wasn't she smart the way that she used to be before they dumbed her down?

JL does do a great job.  He makes me really want to hate him. He really has the mannerisums down.

I like the fact that Natalie is starting to regreat on what she did.

I do have one question from the earlier show that I just thought of. Why didn't he think it was strange that Angelique was in  Barnabas' room.?  Why didn't he say anything to  Natalie?  That could have stopped things right there.
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2007, 07:35:08 AM »
I never noticed before that Trask called Abigail by her first name on the very first day, so there I was today, happily imagining Abigail visiting godly friends in Salem in the summer of 1795 and making Trask's acquaintance.  No wonder she was so eager to uncover a witch!  What better way to impress a Reverend?

Oh, gosh, when Trask told Vicky to pray, would it have killed her to say the Lord's Prayer?  You can bet she knows it, having grown up in a foundling home in the 1950's.  And why didn't she ask Trask for a blanket or a cape if she was going to be left outside overnight? Collinwood is always eerily warm, but I wouldn't want to count on it if I were she.

It's interesting that the Tarot cards never warned Natalie of the presence of evil in the house when she was back in Martinique.  Since Angelique was a lady's maid, I assume she would have been living in the main house, and not in separate servant's quarters on the estate.  I was thinking that perhaps Angelique wasn't evil back in Martinique, and that she was a nice girl until Josette stole what Angelique believed to be her man - but then I remembered Angelique boasting to Ben, and so she must have been bad at home, too.  It couldn't be that the Tarot cards are hogwash, could it?

If he truly wants to find the witch, why is he so careless about it?  He immediately leaps to the conclusion that Abigail has fingered the correct person.  We know there's a witch, and we would love to have him catch her.  He doesn't come close.  At this point, there's no reason for anybody to suspect Angelique - but Trask isn't even running through a list of who lives in the house and who visits the house.  It's his job to get rid of the witch, and he isn't even trying.  He should be reported to the Better Business Bureau.

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2007, 09:09:49 AM »
It's too bad they had to "dumb down" Vicki!   [6184] She was much smarter when she first appeared on DS in 1966. Vicki should have taken Nathan's offer to help her. Although Nathan was a womanizer, he sincerely wanted to help Vicki at this point - so he wasn't all bad! [winkg]

I agree, Jerry Lacy did do an excellent job of portraying both Tony Peterson and Reverend Trask. [clap2] It is hard to believe that the same person played both characters! [shkdg] Trask sure was dumb! [8311] He should have taken inventory of the house instead of taking Abigail's word for it about who the witch was! It's really getting bad for Vicki now! [sadg]

Soon Vicki will meet someone who will make her forget all about Burke!  [luv]

----- Sally -----
[coolg] [hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2007, 11:30:49 AM »
It's too bad they had to "dumb down" Vicki!  She was much smarter when she first appeared on DS in 1966.
I've got to disagree with you.  I've been watching the pre-Barnabas episodes.  I'm through #70 so far, and my jaw has dropped at some of the idiotic things she has done.  From what I've seen, Vicky started out dumb, continued dumb, and ended up dumb.

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2007, 12:31:30 PM »
I agree, Jerry Lacy did do an excellent job of portraying both Tony Peterson and Reverend Trask. [clap2] It is hard to believe that the same person played both characters! [shkdg] Trask sure was dumb! [8311] He should have taken inventory of the house instead of taking Abigail's word for it about who the witch was! It's really getting bad for Vicki now! [sadg]
---- Sally -----
[coolg] [hippy2]
I liked what Nathan asked him about his church. Maybe the reverend was just a ghost hunter that wanted to reep the benifits and help the Collins Family. Maybe the reverend already knew Abigail ;) ;).  Maybe his church was a fraud just benefiting off the hysteria of the past.
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline Willie

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2007, 02:41:02 PM »
It was always my opinion that Trask wasn't terribly concerned with finding the actual witch or ridding the house of evil - he was mainly concerned with persecuting someone.  With all of the Trasks, I always got the impression that the whole religion thing was somewhat of a sham.  He got power and position by doing what he did, and it's much more efficient to persecute someone who's already been named than to conduct an actual investigation.  That would take time, there would be doubt as to the guilt of the accused (not so with Vicki as Abbigail and the Countess were already convinced of her guilt), and there's always the possibility that the actual witch might have been a member of the Collins family - now that wouldn't have done at all for Trask's reputation.  Much better to persecute a lowly servant.

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2007, 07:37:30 AM »
It was always my opinion that Trask wasn't terribly concerned with finding the actual witch or ridding the house of evil - he was mainly concerned with persecuting someone.  With all of the Trasks, I always got the impression that the whole religion thing was somewhat of a sham.  He got power and position by doing what he did, and it's much more efficient to persecute someone who's already been named than to conduct an actual investigation.  That would take time, there would be doubt as to the guilt of the accused (not so with Vicki as Abbigail and the Countess were already convinced of her guilt), and there's always the possibility that the actual witch might have been a member of the Collins family - now that wouldn't have done at all for Trask's reputation.  Much better to persecute a lowly servant.

I definitely think that description fits the 1897 Trask and perhaps Lamar Trask (although he was an undertaker and not a minister).  But this original Trask, I think at least to some extent, truly believed in what he was doing.
Josette

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2007, 08:47:19 PM »
They all believed in it.    They all were also more concerned with their own glory or with money, sex, etc.... they just kept themselves in the dark on this.   They're hypocrites.    They lie to themselves as well as to others.     They're absolutely convinced they're doing good when they follow their impulse to string people up for the feeling of glory and power.    It wouldn't have the desired effect otherwise.    It's very seductive, the feeling you're God's chosen one.    Shouting God's name and "knowing" the guilty at a glance and having the right to string them up because you're better than everyone else.... that only works if you get yourself to really, really believe it.   Even Greg, listen to him sounding self-righteous and pure to Evan just after they've planned their crime.   It's only the two of them in the room, and he still goes on about how he's the servant of the Lord.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2008, 03:53:46 AM »
JL plays reverend Trask so excellently! He goes from playing mild mannered Tony to self-righteous Trask, with such a difference, it's almost hard to imagine both characters are played by the same person.

Vicki was quite arrogant and stubborn, refusing Nathan's offer of help, refusing to believe that she was in any danger. Too bad, she might have been able to be protected, at least for a time.

I can't say that I like Reverend Trask. I've never been totally convinced that he really cared who the witch was.

SPOILER ALERT:

Look at the witchcraft trial....he blackmails Nathan into lying against Vicki. He's smirking very evilly once Vicki was found guilty. He never once stopped to think that of the two women Angelique gained a lot more from the witchcraft than Vicki did. He won't even admit to the possibility that maybe he could be wrong about Vicki (heaven forbid!) once Ben took the stand.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2008, 01:11:21 PM »
We only learn about certain characters gradually.   When we first meet self-righteous hypocrites they can seem okay, because all we have to go on at first is their version of who they are, what they actually say to us about who they are.    It takes time, sometimes a lot of time, to build up enough experience with someone to tell that the words aren't true.

This may be too obvious to bother saying... I just woke up.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor