Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #1191  (Read 1171 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #1191
« on: April 11, 2011, 07:17:45 PM »
Robservations #1191

FAREWELL, DANIEL & GABRIEL COLLINS!

This ep marks the final appearances of Daniel Collins and Gabriel Collins in this storyline...

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: Discuss - Ep #1191
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 07:41:19 PM »
Bye bye RT Gabriel and RT ghost Daniel.   I'm sure the two of them are having a good time hanging out together.

It's still 1840, according to Grayson's VO.   Good point Daphne made, that she came there to kill too, it's not just a Gabriel thing.   ***  Have women ever really instinctively covered their mouths with their hands when shocked by something?   They're doing it a lot onscreen lately.   I'm not sure why one would do that.   

I liked how Joanna blows into the Fishing Shack, look no hands!   Then she immediately blows her line, announcing that Joanna is safe rather than Daphne, further expanding her blowing activities.

Very ugly coat, Kendrick.   Q1 and Daphne cross to PT...  and Daphne can tell when it's about to happen... handy.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 08:01:37 PM »
Have women ever really instinctively covered their mouths with their hands when shocked by something?   They're doing it a lot onscreen lately.   I'm not sure why one would do that.

I suppose to keep from screaming? I've certainly never seen anyone do it in real life.

Our first new set in quite a long time--the parapet! Pennock has to work a little at getting the break-away railing to break away so that Gabriel can plunge screaming to his death.

At the shack, Desmond's shirt is open, but not a chest hair to be seen!

Joanna tells Quentin she'll have Daphne meet him at a deserted spot--but leaves (by simply walking out rather than dematerializing) before she tells him which spot she has in mind. Lingering sisterly jealousy or a writer goof? And Quentin is so confused that he offers this garbled bit of philosophy: Every man's castle is his own--except mine. Where does that leave those of us who don't have a castle?

Kendrick's coat is green, but really, in the Collinwood Universe, what other color could it possibly be? He looks a little bit like Franz Schubert, but a bit thinner and without the specs.

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 09:36:33 PM »
Have women ever really instinctively covered their mouths with their hands when shocked by something?   They're doing it a lot onscreen lately.   I'm not sure why one would do that.   

When I do it, it's to stifle a burp.

Gabe’s wicked deeds are finally catching up to him and Daniel is doing a terrific job of terrorizing him.

Joanna didn’t look particularly thrilled to have found her sister. Then later, she tells Quentin that, Joanna’s safe! Guess what? Daphne is safe!” Oy, what a crummy save that was.

LOL! Loved how Chris Pennock was pushing on the banister to make it break. He couldn’t have been too high up. He only yelped a few seconds instead of one long, “Ahhhhhhhhhh!!!!”
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 05:58:58 AM »
It was fun to hear Grayson Hall doing the voiceover and to wonder, "Will she be Julia Hoffman or Julia Collins, or both?"  And then there was more fun when we saw Julia Collins all haughty as she told Stella's brother that Stella was a lousy employee, while Julia Hoffman watched full of concern.  Why Julia Hoffman was watching at all is another question, but I guess watching other people's problems was a respite from dealing with her own.

Ooh, Daniel's ghost came back to keep Gabriel from killing Daphne.  He couldn't be bothered to keep Gabriel from killing Edith.  You'd think he would have; did he really want to have Edith nattering at him in the afterlife?  Daniel stands at the open secret panel in the drawing room upbraiding Gabriel, and then when Gabriel runs out of the drawing room, Daniel's at the top of the stairs, motionless as if Louis Edmonds hadn't just raced pell-mell up the behind-set stairs to get there.  I leave my bedroom and my cat is lying on my bed as if she hasn't moved for centuries.  I come back just a few seconds later, and she's lying in a completely different position, looking as if she hasn't moved for centuries.  That's what Daniel reminded me of.

I love the parapet set, and wish it could have been created before.  It would be nice to take a book or a half-finished afghan and go sit up there on a sunny day, but apparently nobody did that, because the railing was in such poor shape, and nobody had left a chair out there.  Maybe there just weren't enough sunny days to make it worthwhile to keep the parapet usable.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 03:16:48 PM »
Why was Julia watching? Well, given her overwhelming curiosity and scientific interest, she must have found the opportunity irresistible. I certainly would have!

BTW, I absolutely love the term "upstairs parlor" and wish I had one. But I don't even have an upstairs (*sigh*).

I like the parapet too, Lydia, and I like the idea of sitting out there in the sun with a good book. But maybe it was originally a widow's walk where Collins wives watched and waited in vain for the return of their men from the sea.

My cats used to do the same thing, Lydia! But now they're both old and frail and they mostly stay in the same position as if they haven't moved for centuries.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2011, 08:19:41 PM »
It's still 1840, according to Grayson's VO.

The voiceovers always say the same year even after events in the various time travel storylines clearly indicate the year has changed. Why? Who knows? The writers probably didn't even know.  [wink2]

Changing the subject, I love the look Julia Collins shoots Kendrick very near the end of her scene with him when he insists that his sister would have been at the Inn unless something had happened to her and he's determined to find out what did:

Also, back in '96 a commercial ran on the Sci-Fi Channel during this ep with KLS promoting MPI's 30th Anniversary Tribute VHS tape:

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2011, 08:28:51 PM »
Re KLS: They should tell you not to go on TV that soon after being heavily anesthetized....
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2011, 12:35:36 AM »
Re KLS: They should tell you not to go on TV that soon after being heavily anesthetized....

OMG! LOL!!!
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.