Author Topic: Shadowgram Update #167 (Fest Dates & Location)  (Read 18184 times)

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Shadowgram Update #167 (Fest Dates & Location)
« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2007, 07:00:39 PM »
(And with someone who could have been my mother - she came with luggage and driving instructions, lol. I'd name names but I fear the WOODEN SPOON!)

I'm sensing no pignoli cookies for you ever again! And that's probably the least of it when she reads that!!  [lghy]

[a2a3]

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 06, 2007, 08:55:55 PM »
I am interested in restaurants in the area. Though the food at the Tarrytown Marriott was quite good, the service was horrendous. We had the bartendar from Hell as well. Sloppy service and rudeness. Why, we got up to leave when he didn't come back with our tab for an hour and a half and then he accused us of stiffing him. Needless to say, he got a chinsy tip.
If you don't want my business, sir, I shall take it elsewhere.
But really. Tarrytown is a gorgeous place to be - if you find the right places. Visit Sleepy Hollow Cemetary, for instance. The mansions are nearby where they filmed the movies. Just have to do some research, kids.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2007, 12:40:27 AM »
(And with someone who could have been my mother - she came with luggage and driving instructions, lol. I'd name names but I fear the WOODEN SPOON!)

I'm sensing no pignoli cookies for you ever again! And that's probably the least of it when she reads that!!  [lghy]

[a2a3]

Ahh....You can run....but you can't hide......[vryevl]
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Bobubas

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • The Gates of Hell.
    • View Profile
    • Bob's Dark Shadow Event Photos
« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2007, 03:00:07 AM »
Interestingly, though, there have been strings of uninterrupted years of Fests in the Newark/NYC area but never, as ProfStokes pointed out, two consecutive years in CA. 

We had consecutive years out West in 1991 AND 1992. Both at the LAX Marriott.  ;)
Your Focus Determines Your Reality!
Everything in Life is only for now!

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 07, 2007, 03:22:41 AM »
We had consecutive years out West in 1991 AND 1992. Both at the LAX Marriott.  ;)

Oh, yeah - that's right.  [6184]  How quickly I forget.  :-[  (That'll teach me to speak off the top of my head and not check first.  :))

Well, so much for the notion that there's never been a West Coast Fest two years in a row.  ;)  Though ProfStokes' larger point is still a valid one because, for whatever reason, consecutive West Coast Fests are still an extremely rare beast in comparison to their East Coast counterparts.  :-

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 07, 2007, 03:59:30 AM »
I've been told by those involved with the festivals that (1) if given the choice of flying to LA or NY for a festival, most would prefer going to New York and (2) traditionally, the larger crowds are in NY rather than CA.  The events held in CA do not draw as many people.  Of course, the location and houses used for the original show are also all located on the east coast.

This is what I've been told.  I have not attended any LA fests or events.

Nancy

Though ProfStokes' larger point is still a valid one because, for whatever reason, consecutive West Coast Fests are still an extremely rare beast in comparison to their East Coast counterparts.  :-

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 07, 2007, 05:12:41 AM »
I have not attended any LA fests or events.

I've only been to one event - the '05 Fest - and that was mostly to see the '04 WB pilot. But now that I've gotten a taste of the West Coast, I'm yearning to go back. In fact, I was hoping this year's Fest would be there. But alas...

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
« Reply #52 on: April 07, 2007, 05:28:39 AM »
(1) if given the choice of flying to LA or NY for a festival, most would prefer going to New York
That would apply to me.  ;D  My friends and I typically arrange an extended trip around the Fests, and what NY and the surrounding area have over LA is this thing called public transit, though I will say that the location of the last LA Fest was nice as far as having a fair amount to do and see within walking distance.

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #53 on: April 07, 2007, 06:29:49 AM »
Thanks for all the helpful information. I'll have to do a little researching about the surrounding area. I'll definitely want to check out Sleep Hollow. Love the book, and love the movie with Johnny Depp, though I'm sure it wasn't filmed there. lol. I'm up for old cemetaries, mansions, and Washington Irving's house.

Might extend the event to the entire weekend for myself.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 07, 2007, 09:24:37 AM »
To bad they don't do full video's of the Fest so that some of us that don't live near one of the Big Cities, or are poor because they spend all their extra money on DVD's.

Has anyone done anything like that before? Or even do Video Broadcast via satalite, I know that  I'm now thinking to big. OH well.
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 07, 2007, 04:04:28 PM »
To bad they don't do full video's of the Fest so that some of us that don't live near one of the Big Cities, or are poor because they spend all their extra money on DVD's.

Has anyone done anything like that before?

There's a recent discussion about the official Fest videographers.  One of them has a site with Festival vids for sale though it appears to be down, but he can be contacted for info: Rich Blanco  drksone@aol.com

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
« Reply #56 on: April 07, 2007, 04:12:36 PM »
One of them has a site with Festival vids for sale though it appears to be down, but he can be contacted for info: Rich Blanco  drksone@aol.com
The site hasn't been updated in some time, but here is the link
http://home.earthlink.net/~drksone/

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 07, 2007, 04:15:33 PM »
Thanks, MsCrisedye.  :)

ShadowGram:
The hotel now is accepting sleeping room reservations at the special reduced price of $129 per room (single-quad) for Thurs.-Sat. nights only.

Now that's something new.  An additional night's stay is $249, or you can pay $149 per night for 4 nights.   I'm thinking it's better to stay extra nights elsewhere, meaning not in Tarrytown.  :- 

Offline Minja

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 07, 2007, 05:06:38 PM »
http://www.stripedbassny.com/

Here's a restaurant I had dinner at with Mark Rainey and Elizabeth Massie.  It has sort of a "Blue Whale" atmosphere and the food was delicious.  This was during the 2001 DS Halloween Party.  Glad to see it's still going strong.  It is very well worth the cab fare.  Bon Appettite! [beer]

Always, Minja  [chrmg][/size]

Because I knew you, I have been changed for good.
-From the song "For Good" from "Wicked"

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 07, 2007, 05:30:19 PM »
I had lunch at the restaurant in the Tarrytown Hotel in '04 and got food poisioning from a steak.  This time I will eat prior to going to the festival.