Author Topic: still hoping for festival?  (Read 1030 times)

Offline joe integlia

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • joes gallery of DS photos
still hoping for festival?
« on: April 03, 2007, 02:11:04 AM »
is it safe to assume yet that there is not going to be a ds fest this year? its now april and still no date set for this years fest. its usually held in july/august so i dont see how its going to be held unless a year end event is being planned.

Offline D_Friedlander

• Full Poster
  • The REAL Wyndcliffe
    • View Profile
Re: still hoping for festival?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2007, 01:51:48 AM »
All I know is, it will be quite difficult for me at this point, and probably other people, to be able to get the necessary days off from work, if they suddenly announce that it will be anytime in the summer.  If they'd been able to do it even up until last month, at least I'd have my foot in the door.

My company has too few workers left, and too many ahead of me in line for vacation time at work.  My co-workers take a lot of time, 2-3 weeks, mainly to visit relatives overseas, never mind the modest 5-6 days (which encloses the weekend in any case) that I would require, assuming the event's in California this time around.

Probably September or October WOULD be OK for some,  but then we'd lose the college people, and the parents with younger school-aged children, the ones we hope will carry on the fandom.  That would be a major bummer.

Watch out, after posting this, how much do you want to bet the promised Shadowgrams with the announcement will appear in mailboxes tomorrow or this week anyway?  (Like how it always rains after you just washed your car....)
"HISTORY IS ULTIMATELY AN INVENTORY OF GHOSTS."-----
GUILLERMO DEL TORO

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007, 02:16:31 AM »
I know of some instances where fans have been and continue to discuss making their own arrangements to meet up over the summer since waiting for an announcement could wind up meaning that they lose any opportunity to get together at all.  ::)

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline adamsgirl

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2007, 02:19:04 AM »
Well, I've been hearing all sorts of rumors. However, if it's all set, why no announcement? As you're both saying, it's so late now -- April already! I didn't go out to Hollywood for the Halloween thing, although I wanted to. It just wasn't cost-effective.

I'm sorry to say this, but this sure is a great way to kill the festivals altogether!

(edited by mod.)

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2007, 04:44:00 AM »
I can't believe there still isn't an announcement. I mean, even if things aren't finalized, it would be nice to have something like "The fest is being planned around August 24-28th, with a definite date to come. We are currently in negotiations with the NY Marriott to hold the fest again" blah blah. I mean, some inkling of when the fest would be would most definitely be better than nothing.

I mean, I already know that if it's in CA, which I have a feeling it will be, that I won't be going. But if it IS in NY, I'd like to know so I can start putting money aside every week (not that I'm not doing that already) and to call and make the reservations that are necessary. Sheesh!

Let it rain Shadowgrams full of information.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2007, 06:39:41 AM »
I can't believe there still isn't an announcement. I mean, even if things aren't finalized, it would be nice to have something like "The fest is being planned around August 24-28th, with a definite date to come. We are currently in negotiations with the NY Marriott to hold the fest again" blah blah. I mean, some inkling of when the fest would be would most definitely be better than nothing.
That is exactly what I wish would have been done, Brandon.  If we only had an inkling of what was being planned, we could prepare for it better by blocking out a vacation schedule or researching airfare/hotels.  I can't imagine that Jim Pierson is going around the country begging every Marriott in sight to host the Festival. At this stage, he must have a choice of location and date in mind, or at least a couple of viable options that he is trying to narrow down.  Even if he is waiting confirmation on some particular thing or other, sharing whatever information he has now could only help his cause.  As it is, I'm afraid the late notice will have negative results for both fans and event organizers.  I'd hate for fans who really want to attend a Festival to be unable to do so because of the delay in announcing it, but I also think if would be a shame if Pierson, et al. work really hard to throw a grand party and nobody shows up to enjoy it.  By now, I'd only be able to go to the Fest if it were in California (or maybe Las Vegas).

Since the SG wording has been vague, referring to an "event" rather than a "Weekend" or "Festival," there is a possibility that 2007 will have only a Halloween party-type event instead of a traditional gathering.  If that should be the case, I'm curious to learn who would be able or wanting to go.  I started a separate poll for that very question if anyone would like to sound off.

ProfStokes

Offline joe integlia

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • joes gallery of DS photos
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2007, 07:17:36 AM »
well the word is out. the festival will be in mid august in terrytown. im not going. even if it was announced earlier i wouldnt go. im sticking with west coast events. good luck to all that will have a few months to plan for this. the shadowgram update is posted elsewhere on this board.