Author Topic: More 1897  (Read 1599 times)

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
More 1897
« on: December 29, 2004, 02:08:11 PM »
Well, my husband took all 3 of my kids to FL for a week; I actually took a couple days off from work. So, in between massive cleaning, I've been watching a few 1897 eps:

WHEE!!!

first, I watched right before we 'go back'. I had forgotten David being 'possessed'. Loved, loved loved where Roger doesn't believe, but then he 'sees'!!! Of course, him shouting, "We'll be back, rest assured!" is one of the best DS moments.

I had [spoiler]totally forgotten about Quentin dying, being brought back as a zombie by Angelique[/spoiler] so that was alot of fun!!!

Then, after some slow moving (and most of my tapes are not labeled, duh, so.......there's King Johnny Romano!!!

Then after a while......it's the h a n d. I had forgotten how cheesy looking it is!!!

The next second, it's.....H I M !. So I hit off, figured I'll watch this when I have a little more time.

Back to work now,

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re: More 1897
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2004, 03:31:06 PM »
I never could get past the improbability of the entire Collins Clan moving into The Old House together.  I mean really.....how many fully functioning baths do you suppose Willie had time to install before that point?  How much luggage did they carry over there?  Did they bring their own sheets and towels?  Can you imagine Mrs. Johnson getting her first good look at the kitchen?

They were the Collins family for pete's sake.....why didn't they move into the nearest Four Star Hotel?

I'm prepared to believe in vampires.....but not Elizabeth Collins Stoddard waiting in line for the loo.  [noseinair].

"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline TERRY308

• Senior Poster
  • The real Mrs. Collins.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2004, 05:13:07 PM »
You know, I never ever thought about the bathrooms in the old house.  Maybe Willie had started on one, it was finished and Barnabas had told his "cousins" that there was only one at the moment, but they were more than welcome to stay at his house.  [toilet]
Cassandra:  I have a potion.  You know it well.  As soon as she drinks it, within an hour, she will go to sleep and have the dream.
Nicholas:  I am much to talented to spend my time drugging drinks.

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2004, 05:45:47 PM »
Okay, refresh my memory; Where's Barn while the Collins' are staying at the old house? Is he cured at this point? I'm wondering how he can be "gone" all day and the family remaining totally clueless. Or has he made his infamous "trip" at this point? And how they kept the family out of the basement (within either curse or travel scenario) during this time would seem like an impossible task. Is it addressed at all within the storyline?

I can't believe I can't remember!

(ashamed DS fan) dom

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2004, 06:20:48 PM »
Yes dom [santa_kiss] he's 'cured' (because when he goes back to 1897, he's 'uncured').

Rainey...lololol...share the loo...but, I know Roger has no luggage; Prof. Stokes says they'll make a journey soon to get some of his things.

dom....Barn has Magda/Sandor keep the basement locked (but some people (loose term) still get in!!)

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2004, 06:24:00 PM »
This came after "Adam"....so Barn was "cured" at the time.
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline onyx_treasure

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2004, 08:59:13 PM »
They were the Collins family for pete's sake.....why didn't they move into the nearest Four Star Hotel

I recall an episode when Roger asked Elizabeth where Barnabas was staying. Roger described all of the accomodations nearby as "flop houses".  I bet the nearest hotel worthy of the Collins family would have been in Portland.  However,  it would probably been on par with a Howard Johnsons.  I have lived in Maine for 15 years and my town just built a nice hotel that I would not be embarrassed to recommend.  
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life--music and cats.  Albert Schweitzer

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2004, 01:32:34 AM »
i imagine collinsport,maine to be full of "b&b's" not nice hotels.shabby-chic victorian mansions fixed up and run by retired couples where guests make small talk over self-serve coffee and blueberry muffins.hardly the type of place for a collins! [eek]
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Misa

• Full Poster
  • Is that you, Mr. Juggins?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2004, 05:27:11 AM »
Well, Burke Devlin stayed at the local hotel, but I suppose the Collins family didn't want anyone in town to know they were chased from their home by ghosts. They probably had to be close by in order to run the business.

Maybe if they had moved David and Amy further away they would have been safer though.

Misa

Offline victoriawinters

• Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2004, 06:26:56 AM »
Chris Jennings stayed at the Collinsport Inn in the attic room so we got to see the accommodations there.  Not too swift if you ask me particularly because [spoiler]the inn keeper was eaten.[/spoiler]  I do believe there would have been plenty of rooms for everyone in the Old House since that is where the original family and many guests stayed until Collinwood was completed.

Further, you don't make family stay at the motel.  Barnabas would have been offended if they had IMHO.
[/color][/FONT]

Offline Connie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2004, 07:21:08 AM »
Further, you don't make family stay at the motel.

Aw, SURE ya do.  lol
(I'd make Roger stay at a motel.  He's irksome.)

[grinb]
Blank space
                                Your Ad Here   ---->>

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2004, 02:24:47 PM »
Not for nothing, but how do people stay rich? By not spending money, especially on something so frivolous as a hotel.

Plus, I think they would've wanted to stay where they could keep an eye out, capice?

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2004, 06:51:00 PM »
Plus, I think they would've wanted to stay where they could keep an eye out, capice?

Exactly. Staying at the Old House made the most sense.

And just imagine how hard it would have been for poor possessed Amy to lure people to Collinwood at a moments notice if they had been miles and miles away staying in a hotel.  [wink2]

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2004, 07:25:06 PM »
...not to mention the rumors that would fly in a small town such as Collinsport as to why they all had to desert their home. You know how private Liz is and how concerned Roger is about the family's "reputation" (which is funny in itself when you think about it). I mean what could they possibly state as a reason that people wouldn't be able to see through.

But of course, it couldn't have gone off in any other way and still make sense to the plot considering all the variables (including behind the scenes reasons).

I'm laughing to myself thinking about a Letterman-style top ten list as to why the townspeople would think the Collins' had to vacate Collinwood.