Author Topic: o.t. gothic fashion exhibit  (Read 862 times)

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
o.t. gothic fashion exhibit
« on: December 16, 2008, 09:47:22 PM »
for those in the new york area and interested in such things there is a nice exhibition at the 'museum of the fashion institute of technology' called 'gothic.dark glamour'.

it's devoted to gothic fashions both historical and current.included are garments that run from victorian mourning costume to contemporary pieces from dior,rodarte,rick owens and alexander mcqueen among others.

a topic like this came up here before but it's interesting that d.s. is a "gothic" in everything but it's dress.the music is gothic.the sets are gothic.the plots are gothic.but the fashions are the same colorful,jaunty mod styles being worn across the boards in the late sixties and early seventies.not a "goth" look in sight which is remarkable for a series featuring vampires,witches,warlocks and ghosts.even angelique as a vampire was all white chiffon and golden curls.

the 'fashion institute' is located at seventh avenue at twenty seventh street.the show runs until february 21st.for information call 212-217-4558.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: o.t. gothic fashion exhibit
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 10:47:25 PM »
Hi MSC.

sounds cool.  There were very occasionally a few more traditionally "Gothic" ensembles seen on DS. I'm thinking of some of Lady Kitty Soames' couture, Magda's mourning veil (Grayson looked truly fabou in it), Count Petofi's fur trimmed coat, Eve's black evening gown, a long black lounging thing worn by Cassandra in 1968...   some of the 1840s outfits? 

But, by and large, as you say, the screen explodes with color in DS fashion.  And sometimes, as in Maggie Evans' patchwork skirt or some of Julia's more "aggressively" patterned suits, the explosions leave the ladies rather the worse for wear.

cheers, G.

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 01:36:25 AM »
Crazy Jenny looked a little Goth.

Marie Wallace. Superfox.
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2008, 03:04:14 AM »
Barn's duds were pretty darn gothic.  He could rock a black cape even in 1970. 

How about Oberon and Haza and their hooded robes of tenebrous terror?

Liz wore some very dark, classy outfits early on.  I don't know that I'd class them as "gothic" but they do evoke a certain mysterious quality which fits the bill.

Reverend Trask is always spooky-looking with his all-black duds, black hair and eyeliner.

But yes, I agree, most of the time the clothing on the show was colorful and appropriate to the period in which the storyline was set.  This is particularly true of the women's ensembles, and of the blinding threads some of the men were wearing in 1970 PT.

~Penny~
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2008, 04:29:12 AM »
i agree that the 1897 period lent itself to something of a "goth" interpretation more than the other time periods the show covered.

the victorian era in general does have something of that feel.

this exhibit covers that to some degree.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.