Author Topic: Why was Phyllis Wick tried for witchraft?  (Read 1639 times)

Offline Roland

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
Why was Phyllis Wick tried for witchraft?
« on: March 03, 2008, 06:08:27 AM »
The writers do a good job showing why Vickie is accused of witchcraft - all her knowledge about the future, her strange clothing etc. - but why would the original Phyllis, who clearly did not have all that baggage, be so accused?  Is it merely because she showed up at the same time as Angelique started all her mischief and, therefore, she became the "logical" suspect?  Still, it seems like most of the evidence we see being used to condemn Vickie would not be applicable in Miss Wick's case.

Any thoughts?

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: Why was Phyllis Wick tried for witchraft?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 07:07:22 AM »
Ang didn't really have to work hard at making VW seem guilty.    She may have had to provide all the evidence used against P Wick.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Julianka7

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Collinwood casts a long shadow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 06:58:36 PM »
I'd said it's a combination of Abigal's constant looking out for evil and the devil
and Angelique's tricks that put Phyllis in the hot seat.
The writers do a good job showing why Vickie is accused of witchcraft - all her knowledge about the future, her strange clothing etc. - but why would the original Phyllis, who clearly did not have all that baggage, be so accused?  Is it merely because she showed up at the same time as Angelique started all her mischief and, therefore, she became the "logical" suspect?  Still, it seems like most of the evidence we see being used to condemn Vickie would not be applicable in Miss Wick's case.

Any thoughts?

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 09:38:40 PM »
If Phyllis had shown even the slightest intrest in Barnabas, she would have been doomed. 
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 10:23:31 PM »
Good question! In the 91 series they just explained that she died (of pneumonia?) sometime shortly after arriving at Collinwood. They never explained it in the original series, I always assumed that Phyllis was accused of witchcraft and that she and Vicki had just swapped places. It raises a whole hell of a lot more questions then, like.... did Phyllis and Barnabas become such good friends? Did Peter fall in love with Phyllis originally? If so then that's one of the times the writers actually dealt with changing the past having consequences on the future when Peter came forward in time to find Vicki.... but I may be giving the story too much credit for that  [snow_wink]

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2008, 04:58:51 AM »
More than likely, Phyllis was probably just blamed for all the stuff that Ang was doing, and then when Ang caught wind of people suspecting her, she just piled on all the trappings, like she did with Vicki. I mean, by the standards of witch-trial logic, you really didn't need much to convict someone.

They wouldn't have suspected Ang outright because not only was she so nice and sweet to everyone's face, but she also came with the DuPres family, who were prestigious people, not to mention people that were practically family, so to accuse one of their servants would've been a huge insult, and vice versa for the DuPres to accuse a Collins servant. Phyllis was the newest employee, and she was also the most unattached to the family, so I'm sure they had no problem throwing her under the bus.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2008, 08:19:17 AM »
They wouldn't have suspected Ang outright because not only was she so nice and sweet to everyone's face, but she also came with the DuPres family, who were prestigious people, not to mention people that were practically family, so to accuse one of their servants would've been a huge insult, and vice versa for the DuPres to accuse a Collins servant. Phyllis was the newest employee, and she was also the most unattached to the family, so I'm sure they had no problem throwing her under the bus.

Other than the possible insult of accusing a DuPres servant, there's also the fact that she has been with them for some time, and they certainly didn't suspect her and presumably vouched for her.
Josette

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2008, 08:57:10 PM »
ISTR Barnabas recognizing Phyllis when time was unfrozen in the present, after the swap back and Vickie returns, does Barnabas still remember Phyllis? or Vickie?  Is it ever made clear?  Cassandralique remembers Vickie, does she not?

Likewise, I thought it had been established/remembered by Barnabas thas Phyllis was tried for witchcraft.  Am I mistaken?
There's not a man on my ottoman, there hasn't been one in weeks.
There's not a man on my ottoman, he's gone off to fight the Greeks.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2008, 11:21:11 PM »
Likewise, I thought it had been established/remembered by Barnabas thas Phyllis was tried for witchcraft.  Am I mistaken?

You're not mistaken.  Barnabas recognized Phyllis as Sarah's governess and surmised that Vicki must have taken her place.  He told Julia that Phyllis was declared guilty of witchcraft and was to have been hanged the day he was chained in his coffin.