Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0479  (Read 1065 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0479
« on: February 14, 2008, 06:43:33 PM »

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0479
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2008, 09:01:35 AM »
It would be nice to believe that, in the course of listening to Dr. Lang lying up one side and down the other to Vicky today, Barnabas suddenly realized what a sleazy, slimy snake Dr. Lang is.  But I don't think he did.

I'm not impressed with Jeff Clark as a man of action. He spent a lot of time dancing around with the knife when he surely could have been closing in for the kill.  I myself, however, have never attacked anybody with a knife, let alone killed anybody, so I can't be sure.

I started to wonder today what would have happened if Jeff's face had indeed been used for the Experiment.  We learn later on (I'm not sure whether or not it deserves a spoiler warning, because it can't be much of a surprise to anybody) that Peter Bradford did occupy the body that introduced itself as Jeff Clark.  So Peter was a separate entity from the body.  If Barnabas's life force had been transferred into a body that bore Jeff Clark's face, would Peter Bradford's life force have tried to hijack the body and eject Barnabas?

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 10:34:54 AM »
We learn later on (I'm not sure whether or not it deserves a spoiler warning, because it can't be much of a surprise to anybody) that Peter Bradford did occupy the body that introduced itself as Jeff Clark.  So Peter was a separate entity from the body.  If Barnabas's life force had been transferred into a body that bore Jeff Clark's face, would Peter Bradford's life force have tried to hijack the body and eject Barnabas?
I think you're right, Lydia. That's probably what would have happened. It's a good thing we didn't have a chance to find that out. [whew]
I've said this before, but it bears repeating: This whole idea of Jeff's face being used really irks me. It would have been his head! If Jeff's head were used, certainly Vicki would notice that Jeff's body was different! It's so silly! [snow_silly]
I loved the expression on Barnabas' face when Dr. Lang told him that he was a mortal man, and could be killed. [snow_wink]
Yes, indeed, much of the acting in this episode was poor. Addison Powell and Roger Davis certainly did know how to overact!  [snow_laugh]
Vicki sure had a strong connection to Peter/Jeff. She knew that he was in danger. [snow_shocked]

----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2008, 09:04:39 PM »
I didn't like that Barnabas was willing to go along with Lang to use Jeff's face for the head, but I am glad that Barnabas had a change of heart after hearing Vicki's concern for Jeff. As selfish as Barnabas can be at times, you have to admit it was nice to see him be selfless in this instance and decide not to sacrifice his rival for Vicki's affections.

I wonder if Dr. Lang really would have gone through with shooting Barnabas. If he did that, then who would he have used to have brought his creation to life? Barnabas would have something to gain (his survival and being free permanently from Angelique's curse) from doing this, but no one else would.

I agree that Addison Powell was a bit too over-the-top in here.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2008, 11:51:12 PM »
(a) I didn't like that Barnabas was willing to go along with Lang to use Jeff's face for the head, but I am glad that Barnabas had a change of heart after hearing Vicki's concern for Jeff. As selfish as Barnabas can be at times, you have to admit it was nice to see him be selfless in this instance and decide not to sacrifice his rival for Vicki's affections.

(b) I wonder if Dr. Lang really would have gone through with shooting Barnabas. If he did that, then who would he have used to have brought his creation to life? Barnabas would have something to gain (his survival and being free permanently from Angelique's curse) from doing this, but no one else would.

I agree that Addison Powell was a bit too over-the-top in here.

(a) More should have been made of this decision, dramatically.  It was at this moment that we see Barnabas reform.   Not completely, but not killing someone he doesn't even like, who is his rival, when his perceived self-interest is threatened, is a radical step for him.   If only he had cried "enough" more loudly, instead of muttering...

(b) Lang did not begin his work certain that he'd find a vampire to take part.   Without Barnabas, Lang would have gone ahead in whatever way he'd planned on in the first polace, perhaps just animating Adam.

Then of course, he would have had a brief celebration at the success of his work and then gone into aluminiuum siding, since he couldn't publish his work without getting arrested...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Roland

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2008, 05:19:23 AM »
I must say that this is a pretty torturous episode overall - poorly written, badly acted and incompetently staged.  I haven't seen this much looking into the teleprompter since little Sarah held center stage.   [ghost_rolleyes]