Author Topic: OT: Game show book signing in L.A.  (Read 754 times)

Offline RingoCollins

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • I think it was the trousers
    • View Profile
    • Fans On The Run
OT: Game show book signing in L.A.
« on: August 04, 2002, 03:01:22 AM »
Below is the text of a press release, about a book signing in Burbank Cal, maybe some on the west coast would be interested, and able to attend.   Game shows have been mentioned here frequently, so thought this might be of interest!  I wish I could be 'dere!

Wasn't Arte Johnson a long lost brother of Harry?
[verrrrry interesting, but schtooopit!]

Hollywood Squares host Peter Marshall
and friends gather for a once-in-a-lifetime reunion

Legendary game show host Peter Marshall will sign copies of his new book, Backstage with the Original Hollywood Square (Rutledge Hill Press; August 2002; $24.99), on Wednesday, Aug. 7, at 7:30 p.m. at the Studio City Bookstar, 12136 Ventura Blvd.

Joining Marshall and co-author Adrienne Armstrong, an award-winning television writer who started her career as a production secretary on the Hollywood Squares, will be several of the celebrity guests who made Marshall's Hollywood Squares required viewing from 1966 to 1982. Stars already confirmed for the Bookstar signing include:

Abby Dalton

Nanette Fabray

Arte Johnson

Harvey Korman

Rose Marie

Suzanne Pleshette

Tom Poston

Fred Willard

Joanne Worley

Backstage with the Original Hollywood Square is the ultimate guide to the show, the stars - and what went on behind-the-scenes. Some of the many famous "Squares" discussed in the book are:

Walter Matthau, who wanted to be on the incredibly popular show, but wasn't invited on until he'd won an Oscar.

George C. Scott, who, while intimidating on screen and in real life, was scared to death before the show.

Milton Berle, who complained repeatedly about the small size of his dressing room, but finally agreed to do the show. The show had jokes written especially for Berle, but when he found out they hadn't been used before and therefore guaranteed a laugh, he refused to do them.

Zsa Zsa Gabor, who would send her driver out for fake eyelashes, costing $150!

Betty Grable, Ginger Rogers, Ethel Merman, Helen Hayes, Bernadette Peters, Steve Martin and, of course, regulars like Paul Lynde, Rose Marie, Wally Cox, Arte Johnson and many more.

Backstage with the Original Hollywood Square is an insider's view of one of the most popular and remarkable television shows of all-time, and also includes a CD of a long-out-of-print album, Zingers from the Hollywood Squares.

The Bookstar signing is open to the public and copies of the book will be available for purchase.

We sing, we dance.....and we don't need pants!

Offline doombuggy69

• Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
Re: OT: Game show book signing in L.A.
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2002, 04:06:07 AM »
Thanks for posting that Ringo!  I only live a few miles away from this event and have been looking forward to it for over a month now. I can't wait!!
I am long time fan of that game show which is currently in reruns on Game Show Network.  Peter Marshall said in a printed interview recently that they found the lost and missing 70's HS episodes by accident when they were searching the vault for an old soap called DARK SHADOWS!  I will  give a report on the event next week if you are interested.

Offline Linda

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Junior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dark Shadows Virtual Series
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2002, 04:29:27 AM »
 I will  give a report on the event next week if you are interested.

I'd be interested!  :)

I'm not all that fond of the current HS game show, but I LOVED the original.

Cheers,

Linda

Offline WileyS

• Junior Poster
  • DS fan and bookaholic :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2002, 08:21:53 AM »
Thanks for posting that Ringo!  I only live a few miles away from this event and have been looking forward to it for over a month now. I can't wait!!
I am long time fan of that game show which is currently in reruns on Game Show Network.  Peter Marshall said in a printed interview recently that they found the lost and missing 70's HS episodes by accident when they were searching the vault for an old soap called DARK SHADOWS!  I will  give a report on the event next week if you are interested.

Have fun at the event. Funny timing --- I just started Les Roberts' latest mystery --- he was a producer on the original Hollywood Squares. He's one of my favorite mystery writers. Wonder if he'll make an appearance at the signing.

To make this DS related Roberts also wrote for The Man from U.N.C.L.E. At an online chat I asked if he had a chance to meet Grayson Hall on her appearance on The Man from U.N.C.L.E. but he did not.  :-[

Wiley S.

Offline doombuggy69

• Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2002, 09:37:03 AM »
>>>>>>>>>>Have fun at the event. Funny timing --- I just started Les Roberts' latest mystery --- he was a producer on the original Hollywood Squares.

Thanks, I am sure it will be a blast!  I will have to ask Peter Marshall if he remembers Les Roberts. He must have produced Hollywood Squares in the 60's, because the only two producers they had in the 70's that I remember were, Bill Armstrong and Jay Redak.

>>>>>>>To make this DS related Roberts also wrote for The Man from U.N.C.L.E. At an online chat I asked if he had a chance to meet Grayson Hall on her appearance on The Man from U.N.C.L.E. but he did not.

I have most of the UNCLE shows on tape and I think, (I may be wrong) but didn't Les Roberts only write one episode of UNCLE?  I only saw him credited with "The Apple a Day Affair", which was one of the worst episodes from the terrible third season.   The Grayson Hall episode was called "Pieces of Fate Affair" and it was written by Harlen Ellison. It actually was one of the better 3rd season shows! Grayson was absolutely wonderful in it.

Offline WileyS

• Junior Poster
  • DS fan and bookaholic :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2002, 02:43:35 AM »
>>>>>>>>>>Have fun at the event. Funny timing --- I just started Les Roberts' latest mystery --- he was a producer on the original Hollywood Squares.

Thanks, I am sure it will be a blast!  I will have to ask Peter Marshall if he remembers Les Roberts. He must have produced Hollywood Squares in the 60's, because the only two producers they had in the 70's that I remember were, Bill Armstrong and Jay Redak.

>>>>>>>To make this DS related Roberts also wrote for The Man from U.N.C.L.E. At an online chat I asked if he had a chance to meet Grayson Hall on her appearance on The Man from U.N.C.L.E. but he did not.

I have most of the UNCLE shows on tape and I think, (I may be wrong) but didn't Les Roberts only write one episode of UNCLE?  I only saw him credited with "The Apple a Day Affair", which was one of the worst episodes from the terrible third season.   The Grayson Hall episode was called "Pieces of Fate Affair" and it was written by Harlen Ellison. It actually was one of the better 3rd season shows! Grayson was absolutely wonderful in it.

I agree Grayson Hall was terrific in her episode of The Man from UNCLE.

Yes it must have been in the 1960s --- Les Roberts' website says he was the first producer and a head writer of Hollywood Squares. It doesn't say how many episodes of The Man from UNCLE he wrote, just that he wrote for that show as well as The Lucy Show, The Andy Griffith Show, The Jackie Gleason Show among others, and that over a 24 year period he "[wrote] and/or produced more than 2500 half hours of network and syndicated television."
Wiley S.