Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0086  (Read 898 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0086
« on: October 31, 2011, 08:40:59 PM »

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0086
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 08:55:14 PM »
I can't get over how callous Roger is about Vicki. He really doesn't care what happens to her, and it just proves that the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

Very cute exchange between Burke and Carolyn about the chiefs of Carolyn's "tribe."

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 09:06:36 PM »
Almost forgot that the last scene contains a classic (at least to me) blooper. There must have been a lot of spy novels in the orphanage library, and Vicki must have read every one of them. She very ingeniously uses a hairpin to push the key out of the lock on the outside of the door. So far, so good, but when the key falls out of the lock and onto the floor, the prop person laid it down below the middle of the door, not off to the side where the lock is!

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2011, 10:51:17 PM »
Maybe the key bounced a little...   My only note on this episode is that, after the makers of DS might have driven even themselves crazy, with all the wheel-spinning and manufactured delays in getting on with the story, maybe they felt a need to shake the show up, even having characters do things you'd never expect them to do.   Without actually moving the plot forward, of course!   So what's one of the last things Burke would do?   Say to hell with the vendetta for a night, and tie one on with Sam!   He gets weepy into his beer, or mixed drink, and actually loses all backbone and goes, "Why don't people like me?", basically.   Sam even gets to lecture him...

I think other characters did similarly odd things, but can't remember....   I got 2 or 3 ep's ahead, then the weekend came... These comments may be more for #85, but the bar stuff slops over into #86...

As for Roger's callousness, I'm never surprised.  In fact, it's only been upon watching 1966 DS this year that Roger has made any sense to me.   His vague good-guy status in later years always bothered me.   He was one of those supposedly wonderful Collinses Barnabas was driven to protect, but he was aloof, distant, seemed superior-minded but was diplomatic enough not to say it out loud....  and sort of passive regarding family problems.   

TV is reluctant to show the callousness of the wealthy, and of course TV networks are owned by them.   So Roger was sanitized, or at least, attention was taken off him.   They needed Louis Edmonds to stay on, of course, because of the great characters he played in past storylines.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2011, 10:53:17 PM »
DarkLady, I agree with you about the placement of the key, but I was bothered by other things as well.  To wit: Firstly, why did it take Vicky hours to think of checking the keyhole?  Was she worried that by doing so she would jeopardize her relationship with David if he was still hanging around outside the door?  And if so, why did she think she had a jeopardizable relationship with David?

Secondly, why did David leave the key in the lock?  I didn't think he was that stupid.  On the other hand, he left the wrench in the seat of his father's car after he removed the bleeder valve - assuming that he did remove the bleeder valve - so may he is indeed that stupid.

Thirdly, why didn't Vicky push the door upwards as much as possible while she was trying the pull the key in under the door?  This was her one chance, and she muffed it.

What a different direction Dark Shadows could have gone in, if Burke had married Carolyn!

(PS I'm writing this in between handing out Twix bars to trick-or-treaters.  I love the tiny ones, who haven't a clue what's going on!)

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 12:15:08 AM »
Have fun with your little visitors, Lydia!

I think David is clever, but also only 9 years old, so he doesn't have much future-planning smarts. I don't think he would think about the wrench or the key.

And yes, Vicki blew her chance when she didn't try to push the door up.

Burke marrying Carolyn--wotta concept!  [hall2_shocked]

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 04:31:21 AM »
It sounds like rain pouring down in the introduction.   David goes about his normal life.   Carolyn goes to Burkes room gets a drink and gets a kiss.  When she leaves Burke states that she is going down. 
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2011, 03:13:07 PM »
It kills me that Burke can not only stand up when he was rip roaring drunk at the Blue Whale, but that he can entertain as well. And doesn't the ever present subject of coffee come up?

Carolyn tells him this is the best time she's ever had. Man, you don't get out much, do you, girlie?
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.