Author Topic: Newport circa 1906  (Read 646 times)

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
Newport circa 1906
« on: April 18, 2010, 03:19:02 AM »
This popped up recently on an historic photo site I frequent and I thought some of you might be interested to see it. It's not Seaview, but it's kinda cool nonetheless.

http://www.shorpy.com/node/8014

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Newport circa 1906
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 11:41:28 AM »
That whole website is cool.  The commenters really scrutinize those photographs.

And it's always good to hear from you, arashi.

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
Re: Newport circa 1906
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 04:23:23 PM »
That area has a DS connection for me. It's hard for me to be sure, but I think the store at the bottom left of the pic was a used bookstore in the 70s. I found Barnabas, Quentin, and the Serpent. I called to see if they had any DS books, and he said he had "a bunch". He had two. One was a double, but i bought it any way. The rest were other Ross paperbacks.  One was enough for me though. I'd raced down there on my bike, trying to beat imagined hordes of people who were trying to race me to complete their DS collections. The Newport Creamery is across from the Tennis Hall of Fame. There was an Almacs there at the corner. Across from Almacs (not visible in the photo) was another Newport Institution.  I don't remember the actual name of the place. We just called it Chariles Five and Dime.  He sold a bunch of junk with occasional treasures. I found many Ross paperbacks there.  It's amazing how relatively little the area has changed. I mean it's different, but it's recognizable.