Author Topic: WB ORDERS FILMING OF NEW DS PILOT  (Read 174440 times)

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re:WB ORDERS FILMING OF NEW DS PILOT
« Reply #705 on: May 17, 2004, 10:27:23 PM »
Any director is likely to bring a different vision to a project than any other director might - though whether it's "better" is a purely subjective opinion.  But lets keep in mind that the WB's decision may had had much less to do with how the pilot turned out and more to do with their reluctance to go with "franchise" material. Despite how disappointing their decision is for all of us, a return to the more relationship type shows that have always brought them their biggest success would seem to be a very smart decision on their part.

The WB went on record by saying they realized how much potential DS had to offer the network and also stated that it was one of its highest priorities. The WB also went on record by saying that there was room on its schedule for two vampire series. The script was then approved for filming. It just seems a bit odd to me that subsequently, in a very short period of time, the WB simply changed its mind after they screened the pilot independent of the quality of the pilot. I do not accept that argument in total. I assume that it was a combination of factors as to why the WB passed on the pilot and one of them was that they were not happy with the pilot for whatever reason. I do not know if a different director would have brought a different outcome. I think a strong filmed pilot would have convinced the network to take a chance on DS especially if it was one of its highest priorities. I simply believe that the WB had DS penciled in on the fall schedule despite its family oriented programming. I am sure, however, that the WB will not say that they were unhappy with the pilot at tommorows announcement. No network will criticize a studio especially if they are continuing to do business with. All of our posts here are speculative and we may never know the real reason why DS never saw the light of day on the WB.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: May 17, 2004, 10:32:23 PM »
It was actually scheduled for 14 days and went 15.

Oh, OK - I was going by the timeframe we'd discussed back in March.  :)

But still, even the originally alotted 14 days to shoot an hour pilot seems like a luxury when compared to shooting the two hour '90 pilot in only 18.

Offline Mark Rainey

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #707 on: May 17, 2004, 10:53:29 PM »
God, how I hate those "reality" shows, which are anything but, by every indication I've seen. Hard to believe that audience burnout hasn't already set in.

--M
http://home.triad.rr.com/smrainey

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: May 17, 2004, 10:57:07 PM »
It just seems a bit odd to me that subsequently, in a very short period of time, the WB simply changed its mind after they screened the pilot independent of the quality of the pilot.

Actually, before they'd even screened the DS pilot, the WB had already been giving strong indications in the trades that they were moving toward relationship dramas and reality programming. (We merely chose to overlook that for the most part.) And while it's true that the change of direction happened after all the favorable things had been said about DS, it wasn't really an abrupt change of direction because the signs of it have been reported for well over a month now.

As I'd said in one of my posts that tried to explain how badly the odds are stacked against any pilot's chance of being picked up, at some point during its development every pilot has favorable buzz surrounding it. Otherwise, what would be the sense of it having been greenlit in the first place? But the unfortunate fact is that the openings on a network's schedule versus the number of pilots it commisions is always widely disproportionate. And another fact is that often times a simple change in direction IS the ONLY reason one pilot gets picked over another. In a perfect world, an expectation that every pilot that turns out great will get picked up would be a wonderful one - but in the real world, as unfair as it may seem, that simply isn't the case.

All of our posts here are speculative

Exactly.

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: May 17, 2004, 11:29:54 PM »
But still, even the originally alotted 14 days to shoot an hour pilot seems like a luxury when compared to shooting the two hour '90 pilot in only 18

True, but that was with Dan 'one-take's good enough' Curtis... ;D

Offline Stuart

• Full Poster
  • Can you smell chips?
    • View Profile
    • Dark Shadows Journal Online
« Reply #710 on: May 17, 2004, 11:34:46 PM »
Speaking of which...  I rewatched the 1991 pilot recently and I swear it has more boom mikes in shot than *any* episode of the original series...

As the saying goes, the more things change...
http://darkshadowsnews.blogspot.com | The Dark Shadows News Page
http://www.collinwood.net | Visit the Dark Shadows Journal Online

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: May 17, 2004, 11:41:38 PM »
Hopefully, we'll find out exactly why the WB passed on the pilot. I would be very interested in learning why, and if the folks (that may be) shopping it to other networks are making any changes to the pilot as a result of the WB's pass.

It would be great if they could show the pilot at the fest, so we could see it for ourselves and perhaps come to our own conclusions. It would make for a fabuolous discussion, IMO.

If the new DS does make it to prime time, it will be interesting to see if there are any cast changes.

All this and still no official word from the WB.  ::)

If they want to go 'family entertainment' then our beloved dysfunctional Collinses family and relations doesn't fit their criteria.

I'm with you. I do hope that the pilot or even clips of it will be shown at the fest.
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: May 17, 2004, 11:46:52 PM »
God, how I hate those "reality" shows, which are anything but, by every indication I've seen. Hard to believe that audience burnout hasn't already set in.

Well 'reality' show burnout is beginning to hit me. I watched both the Average Joe's, Big Brother House, American Idol, Survivor and The Amazing Race, America's Next Top Model and The Apprentice.  I'm finally burnt out or at least close to it.  Now as far as dramas go, I think I can go there as long as it's not about lawyers, cops, doctors and forensic scientists!!!
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: May 17, 2004, 11:48:38 PM »
Speaking of which...  I rewatched the 1991 pilot recently and I swear it has more boom mikes in shot than *any* episode of the original series...

As the saying goes, the more things change...

That is so funny. I do remember a boom right after the opening scene I believe. Wonder if that was Curtis' subconscious tribute to the original series. lol

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: May 18, 2004, 12:22:56 AM »
that was with Dan 'one-take's good enough' Curtis... ;D

[lghy] Yeah, that's certainly his reputation.  ;)

But I also seem to recall a TV Guide article that described DC doing some uncredited directing of the '91 series finale in which he complained that Roy Thinnes and Ben Cross just weren't giving enough to Trask's "farewell" scene - so even DC isn't always immune to thinking the first time isn't good enough.  [wink2]

Offline Maria_Merriweather

• Full Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: May 18, 2004, 12:43:58 AM »
from Stephen Mark Rainey
God, how I hate those reality shows, which are anything but, by every indication I've seen.
I've prided myself on never watching any reality show. Then one night, while channel surfing, I caught "Family Plots" and got hooked. It's on A&E Mon. nights--it's on tonight at 9:00 EST. Never would have thought I would like a show about a mortuary. >:D
    About the DS pilot--I'm disappointed but it wasn't shaping up as I would have liked. Probably like a lot of fans of the original series it would never meet my expectations.  I speculate (without having seen the pilot) that  they tried to introduce too many storylines (the Vicky story, and Barnabas and Angelique) crammed into one 2 hour (?) show.
MM

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: May 18, 2004, 01:36:14 AM »
i also pride myself in that i have not fallen into the bottomless pit of "reality-t.v."(although i do spend alot of time watching vids. of a 35yr. old soap opera,but that's another story).anyhow,if wb is sinking further into "reality's" quicksand they might want to remember that those shows are contests and have virtually no value in terms of syndication or video/dvd sales.they're only good once(if that).whereas a good drama like o.d.s.(or the x-files etc.)have huge value in terms of syndication and vid/dvd sales.i wasn't even born when d.s. ran originaly,but have spent alot of money on videos,books etc.wb execs and dan curtis should think about that before totally scrapping the idea of a new show. :P
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: May 18, 2004, 05:40:58 PM »
The WB posted its Fall schedule ...

http://www.thewb.com/Shows/Special/0,11116,171792,00.html

... if anybody cares.  ::)

Offline victoriawinters

• Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #718 on: May 18, 2004, 06:13:51 PM »
It looks like all safe and boring shows.  I'm really going to miss the Whedonverse.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: May 18, 2004, 08:27:33 PM »
From The WB Press Release--

MIDSEASON PROGRAMS INCLUDE NEW REALITY SERIES FROM PRODUCER MARK BURNETT, HALF-HOUR COMEDY "SHACKING UP," DRAMAS "ROCKY POINT" AND "GLOBAL FREQUENCY" AND REALITY SERIES FROM MIKE FLEISS, BRUCE NASH, JAMIE KENNEDY AND RDF