Author Topic: Edge of your seat!  (Read 1166 times)

Offline A.I.Collins

• Full Poster
  • Look into those sexy eyes....
    • View Profile
Edge of your seat!
« on: November 13, 2003, 03:35:51 AM »
Hey Guys!

I figured I would take a short trip back down memory lane to 1970 when Barnabas was looking for Megan Todd in the east wing of Collinwood.Around the time he was going back and forth to the room seeing Parallel time, the first time I saw this I was so excited to see how he would get across to the other time and what would happen once he was there. I just remember those episodes being some of the most dramatic and nerve-wracking for me.I couldn't wait to see the next episode to see who he would see in the room.Not to mention, I was shocked to see Julia(PT) intimidating Elizabeth. When I saw that scene...along with Angelique's portrait, i knew Parallel time was going to be somethin' else!..So, my question for you all is...was there any particular time on the show when each and every episode kept you on the edge of your seat to see what the outcome of a particular situation would be?

Adra

P.S.  I know all of you are thinking every episode of DS kept you on the edge of your seats, but try to think of a few that stood out in particular.
Dark Shadows...my little ball of sunshine!!!

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re:Edge of your seat!
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2003, 03:43:17 AM »
I was enthralled by the 1995 storyline.  It was so mysterious, eerie, and suspenseful that instead of watching my week's worth of episodes on Saturday as I usually did, or even taping the show in the morning and watching the episode that same afternoon, I plopped myself in front of the TV to watch "live" (at the time, the show ran at 10 in the morning, so it wasn't too difficult to catch.)  I had been a steady viewer for over a year already, but 1995 captured my attention more urgently than the other plots.

ProfStokes

Offline Misty

• Full Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2003, 03:51:01 AM »
 :o I would have to say that the episodes following the release of Barnabas from his chained coffin were the most "edge of your seat" for me. I was absolutely  fascinated with the appearance of a vampire, that I couldn't wait for the next day's show.
                                       Misty
" Small things amuse small minds"--------at least my students have been led to believe!

Offline Cassandra Blair

• Full Poster
  • Hey sailor, how 'bout I light your Lucky?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2003, 03:47:03 PM »
Good question.  And you're right - there were so many times that's it's hard to narrow down.  Off the top of my head, I'd say 1795.  It was just so well-written and the actors really seemed to be surprising themselves with where they were taking the characters.  Watching the whole "how Barnabas became a vampire" thing just kept me glued to the television, and got me hooked on the show for good.
My lady abandoned heaven, abandoned earth...to Ray's Wig World she descended.

Offline Maria_Merriweather

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2003, 04:38:04 AM »
I was on the edge of my seat during much of the Phoenix episodes. The show where Laura tries to draw David into the flames with her had me transfixed in front of the set back in 1967 when I was about 13. I can remember her screaming as she is consumed by flames and David screaming as Vicky manages to save him.[shkdy]
MM

Offline wes

• THIS SPACE FOR RENT
  • Junior Poster
  • My Journey is Beginning
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2003, 05:33:49 AM »
 :) I would say the most "edge of my seat" moments were when someone went on a time trip -- to the past, present, future or Parallel Time.

;) There was one that didn't live up to what I expect from Dark Shadows.  The last one -- to 1841 Parallel Time.  That one "put me to sleep."

Offline Cassandra

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2003, 08:18:39 AM »
Off the top of my head, I'd say 1795.  It was just so well-written and the actors really seemed to be surprising themselves with where they were taking the characters.  Watching the whole "how Barnabas became a vampire" thing just kept me glued to the television, and got me hooked on the show for good.

I agree with Cassandra Blair here and say that the 1795 storyline really was the one for me.  Seeing Barnabas as he was without the curse, then meeting the new "witch" who suddenly arrives on the scene was enough to keep me hooked!  Along with that was the fact that Vicky had traveled back to the past adding another interesting factor since this was the first time they had actually shown any kind of time travel before.
 The whole 1795 story just facinated me and had me glued to the edge of my seat everyday waiting to see what (or who) was coming next.

Cassandra
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Sandor

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2003, 09:20:14 PM »
Edge of my seat during the "Adam" storyline, when both Barnabas and Angelique/Cassandra confronted each other - both as human at last:  Barnabas wasn't a vampire at the time, and Ang had just been stripped of her witchly powers by Nicholas Blair.  So she arrives at the Old House, sporting cloak and pistol, angling for an old fashioned Collinwood Corral showdown, right out of the Old West (well, West Maine anyway).
Barnabas survived, but each day thereafter,  I wondered if, when and how Angelique would return to wreak more havoc.
Honorable "edge of seat" mention to Grayson Hall's superb work in much of the Leviathan storyline. Her Julia Hoffman was so intensely determined to uncover the sinister truth, each day I feared for her life - particularly when she'd go antique shopping.