Author Topic: Newbie with some storyline questions - anyone care to help?  (Read 3505 times)

Offline testokes

• View Profile
Newbie with some storyline questions - anyone care to help?
« on: August 27, 2007, 04:22:46 PM »
I had a few questions about the Lang/Adam storyline era as I had never seen most of those episodes until buying the DVD's lately.

After Dr. Lang dies how do Barnabas and Julia keep coming to his house to conduct the experiment and chat?  Did he leave it to them in his will or something? It would seem to make more sense if they had transported the equipment into Barnabas' basement rather than leave things as they are.  The town seems to know he's dead as well.

It's hinted at, but how much do Professor Stokes and Cassandra know about each other?  He seems to know something about the portrait of Angelique and Cassandra was his student right?

Overall I have to say I have been thoroughly enjoying these episodes.  Could do with a bit more Carolyn, Roger and Elizabeth (or was Joan Bennett away) and little less Barnabas and Julia (The two best characters IMO but they are in nearly every scene for 25 episodes) but the double stories of Adam and the Dream Curse are well set up.

Offline testokes

• View Profile
Re: Newbie with some storyline questions - anyone care to help?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2007, 04:25:09 PM »
Oh yeah one further question - is it around this time that Alexandra Moltke starts to think about leaving? She really has very little to do in most of these episodes though her scene with JF where she think it's her fault he's leaving is nicely played.

David

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2007, 06:24:52 PM »
Barnabas & Julia simply let themselves into Lang's house to do as they pleased~~just as Julia moved into Collinwood & never left.
No explanation was ever offered on either count.

Alexandra had wanted to leave DS fairly early on, but was stuck to the show via contract.
Now an acclaimed documentary filmaker, Alexandra was/is an intellectual, and didn't like Victoria's naive stupidity.
She was quoted saying so in a 1968 interview in the New York Post.

Her actual departure from the show was abrupt, caused by her real life pregnancy.

David

Offline testokes

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2007, 10:04:58 PM »
Well I think Julia staying on could be explained by Elizabeth liking her and letting her stay on. At some point Barnabas probably put in a good word as well.  It's just rather amusing that a dead man's house has people just coming and going.  I suppose it's JUST plausible that once he knew Cassandra was after him, Dr. Lang changed his will to make Barnabas the beneficiary.

The other thing I noticed is how unimportant Collinwood itself is becoming.  Far more action takes place in Dr. Lang's house or the Old House.

Willie Loomis return was a good moment but so far not much has been done with him.  It's a far cry from the days where he and Frid were in just about every other scene together.

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2007, 10:38:11 PM »
I always enjoyed the Adam storyline when I first saw it. The beginning isn't too bad. But once you get through some of it and Adam does nothing but moan, and you here that Lang tape 500 times, it gets old, real fast. And after the Dream Curse is over, Adam takes over the entire show, involving nearly everything and everyone.

I can't enjoy even the beginning of the storyline anymore, because I KNOW what's coming.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2007, 12:19:01 AM »
when i first watched these episodes a few years ago i was devastated by the overall change in tone and direction of the show.

now doing a secondary watch it was inevitable that i come to this again and watched several episodes over the weekend...and loathed it just as much as i remember.

there are some dream curse/cassandra/nicholas moments that i can get into but in general i hate 1968 across the boards.being a big fan of both joan and alexandra i agree that they are largely wasted here(although vicki does get some key moments during the dream curse).

i definitely overdose on barnabas and julia here and i hate that the writers let this dumb adam character hijack the entire show for nearly a year. >:(
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

David

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2007, 03:03:04 AM »
Sam,  Gordon & Ron  must have done something right~~the ratings were still going up in 1968!

A few god things from '68:

Elizabeth's fear of death & live burial.

Eve, a wonderful character.

The Vicki/Jeff Clark/Peter connection.

Tom and Chris Jennings.

Eve's one day journey to 1796.

Barnabas' 3 day return to 1796.

Nicholas Blair~~was he creepy or what!!!

and my 1968 fave:
Angelique as a vampire!

Yes, Adam was the year's weakest link, but there was still a lot of fun stuff going on in 1968!

David

Offline Willie

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2007, 01:20:39 PM »
I vaguely remember Barnabas saying something about having to "clean up some papers" or something to that effect after Lang died.  I assumed he was the executor of Lang's will, and therefore would have had to go through all of his stuff and pack it up and give it to his heirs or something - of course no heirs ever showed up.

I guess I feel about the same way as everyone else about the whole Adam storyline, it was pretty good at the beginning but it just went on way too long.  I didn't care for what the actor playing Adam did with the character, he was just too arrogant and therefore unsympathetic.  When Nicolas and Angelique and Eve finally became the main sotryline, I LOVED that.  Nicolas is always so much fun to watch.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2007, 05:44:56 PM »
It's hinted at, but how much do Professor Stokes and Cassandra know about each other?  He seems to know something about the portrait of Angelique and Cassandra was his student right?

Yes, he was her faculty adviser and responsible for introducing Roger to Cassandra.  (He seemed to make a habit of having students visit him at home, which always struck me as weird.)  Anyway, I'm not sure if you've reached #488-- if not, this would be a Spoiler:
but in that ep Stokes was genuinely surprised when Barnabas revealed to him that witch he knew existed was actually Cassandra.  Barnabas provided the information in exchange for Stokes' help in dealing with the dream curse.

I vaguely remember Barnabas saying something about having to "clean up some papers" or something to that effect after Lang died.  I assumed he was the executor of Lang's will, and therefore would have had to go through all of his stuff and pack it up and give it to his heirs or something - of course no heirs ever showed up.

I suspect you're thinking of his attorney Tony Peterson, who went to Lang's house to clean up his estate and seemingly was the only person to go through his papers for legal purposes.  Of course Julia also went through his papers, and more, to learn how to perform the experiment.

Offline Willie

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2007, 07:36:11 PM »
I suspect you're thinking of his attorney Tony Peterson, who went to Lang's house to clean up his estate and seemingly was the only person to go through his papers for legal purposes.  Of course Julia also went through his papers, and more, to learn how to perform the experiment.

I was thinking of when Jeff Clark went over to Lang's to look through his stuff, and Barnabas was there.  I think Barn's excuse was that he was looking through his papers or something.  He seemed to sound like he had the right to do that...I dunno.  I just got the impression that Barnabas was in charge of tidying up Lang's estate (or at least that was his excuse for being around there so much).  But I'm probably wrong  ;D

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2007, 08:15:33 PM »
I was thinking of when Jeff Clark went over to Lang's to look through his stuff, and Barnabas was there.  I think Barn's excuse was that he was looking through his papers or something.  He seemed to sound like he had the right to do that...I dunno.  I just got the impression that Barnabas was in charge of tidying up Lang's estate (or at least that was his excuse for being around there so much).  But I'm probably wrong  ;D

No, no, you're right about what he said to Jeff.  But Barnabas was lying (he was waiting for Julia and totally focused on the experiment), and then he and Jeff all but admitted that neither actually had a right to be there.

Offline testokes

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2007, 09:50:13 PM »
What's funny about this is how many people just come and go through Dr. Lang's house.  Victoria, Elizabeth, Jeff, Julia and Barnabas all just come and go.  At no point does Elizabeth seem the slightest bit perturbed that cousin Barnabas is helping himself through a dead man's home at will.

I certainly wish Thayer David was in more episodes, he brings so much with so little to Professor Stokes.

I'm actually all the way up to 506 now, partly because the volume 8 I bought from MPI was missing Disc One (I called and they said they would mail a replacement, how reliable are they?) so I missed 493-502 but other than Sam nearly offing Angelique and more ripping off of James Whale doesn't look like I missed much.

My viewing will def slow down with my vacation being over today.

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2007, 10:12:24 PM »
Maybe I'm the only one who actually liked the Adam storyline   ;D (though I agree that it did go on too long).  I rather liked how the character changed over time, especially after Nicholas started manipulating him.  I was glad enough when it ended, but I never felt as bored as with some other storylines (Leviathans, and the pre-1840 episodes).

As for people just giving themselves permission to go into other people's houses, I wonder if it was just that in the 60's, there was less cynicism about crime, and in small towns where everyone knew each other, they could get away with just acting like they belonged there without anyone really questioning it (much).

Cathy

Offline adamsgirl

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2007, 11:03:02 PM »
In defense of Robert Rodan's portrayal of Adam, I think that given what he had to work with (a rather ridiculous storyline), he did very well. He managed to convey such a sweetness and innocence, particularly when he fell in love with Carolyn. He was also able to show us how he truly didn't understand why he couldn't be her "boyfriend." Then, in his anger, it was easy for Nicholas to manipulate him. I also liked that he was pretty much a genius and able to learn so quickly. A lesser actor wouldn't have been able to do all that Rodan did with this stuff, IMHO.

Then again, look at my handle, right? LOL! >:D

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2007, 11:32:34 PM »
I did lose sympathy for him when he was being manipulated by Eve and became whiny.  I loved the scenes between Eve and Nicholas.  There was a lot of fire between them!  The beginning scenes with Adam and Carolyn are some of my favorites and they both played them so well.  I think I really began to admire the work of Nancy Barrett at that point.
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf