Author Topic: TV Pilot Season is here again  (Read 1859 times)

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
TV Pilot Season is here again
« on: January 04, 2005, 02:18:34 PM »
I just read an article that the networks are now beginning to give commitments to various TV pilots. Just wondering if anybody here knows if now is the best opportunity for the producers of DS to pitch a new Dark Shadows project to the networks.

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
Re: TV Pilot Season is here again
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2005, 02:54:28 PM »
IMHO, I would think if DS is being run currently (say on SoapChannel), I would think the powers that be might realize there's a potential market. (In opposition to the youngins' saying, "What's dark shadows?")

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2005, 06:43:15 PM »
IMHO, I would think if DS is being run currently (say on SoapChannel), I would think the powers that be might realize there's a potential market. (In opposition to the youngins' saying, "What's dark shadows?")

Patti you are right on when you say that if the classic DS was on a network/cable station it would increase the chances for a new DS series because of its exposure to new fans. I have been informed by another cable station that the producers of DS are asking too high a price for them to even consider showing the original DS. So the cost is a factor as to why DS has not been picked up by anybody. Of course there are other factors as to why a network has not picked up the classic DS ie... its current programming schedule, etc....
In terms of a new DS series, I speculate that through the years Dan Curtis has done an incredibly poor job in marketing the Dark Shadows franchise to movie production studios and to TV executives, although that has changed in the last year and perhaps there is still hope for a new series or theatrical movie.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2005, 10:06:13 PM »
I have been informed by another cable station that the producers of DS are asking too high a price for them to even consider showing the original DS.

Actually, it's the syndicator, WorldVision, that sets the asking price. DCP doesn't really have anything to do with it. If they said producers, I'd seriously question whether they've made any real efforts to bring DS to their station.  :-

So the cost is a factor as to why DS has not been picked up by anybody.

A lot of posts have speculated that's been the issue.  :'(

I speculate that through the years Dan Curtis has done an incredibly poor job in marketing the Dark Shadows franchise to movie production studios and to TV executives

Maybe. Who knows? But one thing that's true is that a lot of execs seem to have a very limited view of what they think will or won't be successful. (Just look at all the closemindedness there's been over restoring NoDS?  ::))

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2005, 06:21:22 PM »
The WB sure made a mistake in selecting The Mountain over DS and continuing Angel. I hear it may be cancelled.  Looking at that show, I just have to ask- "What were they thinking???"

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2005, 06:46:10 PM »
I have been informed by another cable station that the producers of DS are asking too high a price for them to even consider showing the original DS.

Actually, it's the syndicator, WorldVision, that sets the asking price. DCP doesn't really have anything to do with it.

And the comments of one cable station can't be taken for gospel.  Perhaps the offer they made was insultingly low and they had no business expecting a positive response.  Perhaps WorldVision is hoping for a station with a larger viewship.  Perhaps they're thinking it's time to make the series scarce for a while........Let the fans wait until the 40th anniversary when there will be media attention and greater interest in general....which, in turn, might raise the financial value of the series for WorldVision.

We could speculate endlessly..... ::)
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2005, 09:11:21 PM »
And the comments of one cable station can't be taken for gospel. ... We could speculate endlessly..... ::)

Very true. And in the case of this station, their word is possibly already suspect. But the one thing that *might* support speculation or reports about a high asking price is that it wouldn't be the first time WorldVision has gone that route. Back in the mid-to-late '80s WorldVision's very high asking price for the final year of the series is what kept it out of local syndication.
(But thankfully, when WorldVision brokered their first deal with the Sci-Fi Channel in 1990, it was a five year exclusive deal for the entire series - and that's why we were finally lucky enough to not only see that final year but all the pre-Barn episodes as well.)

Offline AdAstra

• Junior Poster
  • Shadows of the night...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2005, 04:45:13 AM »
I don't understand why Nick at Nite or TVland isn't playing this.  Or any of the endless digital cable channels for that matter!  I mean, who needs to watch the Golf Channel???  Where are people's priorities?  Arg...  By the way, where have all the 60s and 70s shows gone?  No one is plalying Mary Tyler Moore or Dick Van Dyke, etc...anymore.  They've switched over to 80s shows.  Not that I mind 80s shows, but why are older ones being thrown out?  Why not make more channels for them, since we have so many...  Well I should stop ranting or I'll never stop.
Ciao
~Mel
 ;)

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2005, 06:13:28 AM »
I don't understand why Nick at Nite or TVland isn't playing this.  Or any of the endless digital cable channels for that matter!  I mean, who needs to watch the Golf Channel???  Where are people's priorities?  Arg...  By the way, where have all the 60s and 70s shows gone?  No one is plalying Mary Tyler Moore or Dick Van Dyke, etc...anymore.  They've switched over to 80s shows.  Not that I mind 80s shows, but why are older ones being thrown out?  Why not make more channels for them, since we have so many...  Well I should stop ranting or I'll never stop.

Welcome!
We feel your pain. At the moment it seems cost is a major reason why the classic DS is not on a channel today. It appears that the owners of the classic DS are asking too high a price. You would think that they would lower its asking price especially after the DS franchise took a bad publicity hit with the recent failed pilot and the allegations that the pilot was poorly produced and directed. No you are not ranting. You are just showing that you are a true caring fan.

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2005, 02:37:05 PM »
Actually TV Land has been showing "Dick Van Dyke" on weekends for quite a while now.

And, IIRC, MTM was on about yr-yr&1/2 ago.

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline LdyAnne

• Full Poster
  • DS fan since 1967- run home from school kid
    • View Profile
    • Central Florida Dark Shadows Fan Club
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2005, 04:58:30 PM »
I don't understand why Nick at Nite or TVland isn't playing this.   Or any of the endless digital cable channels for that matter!  I mean, who needs to watch the Golf Channel??? 
  [clap] Here! Here! or ESPN CLASSIC! where will it end!!!!! >:(

By the way, where have all the 60s and 70s shows gone?  No one is plalying Mary Tyler Moore or Dick Van Dyke, etc...anymore. 
;D I would like to see Batman, Man from Uncle, of course DS, Star Trek amoung others back on a regular schedule!!

[82b5]
Well I should stop ranting or I'll never stop.  

Never stop your rants! This is the place for them!  ;)

LdyAnne

Offline AdAstra

• Junior Poster
  • Shadows of the night...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2005, 05:44:26 PM »
This is a tad off subject...
Is it just me or is anyone else sick of all the reality shows?  I could tolerate one here or there, but COME ON.  They're on every channel, and the plots are getting really sick and twisted.  I don't know why people would want to watch others eat bugs, or see some girl cry who's trying to guess which man is her father.   ::)  I think the appeal of DS (and shows of the like) is that it's a nice escape for a change.  I think all these reality shows are just a cheap way for stations to make a quick buck.  They don't have to hire talented writers or do anything except tape others' misery as they put them in some predicament.  Arg, arg!  >:(
-Mel

Offline cool_splash1

• I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2005, 02:24:19 AM »

I asked TVLand a long time ago about playing DS and they said because it was a long soap or some crap like that.  And I was thinking yeah, but aren't the shows you are playing old television shows.