Author Topic: Shadow-Town  (Read 1074 times)

Offline Sara Monster

• * 150000 Poster!! *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Willie Loomis Saves Collinsport
Shadow-Town
« on: December 29, 2009, 10:50:19 PM »
I came across a brief description of this book in a fanzine & was wondering if anyone had read/heard anything else about it?

http://www.amazon.com/Shadow-Town-John-Lutz/dp/0445403438/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1262122989&sr=1-2

From Publishers Weekly
Shadowtown is named after a soap opera of which the most popular character had been a vampire. He was "killed off" by the writers after the actor who played him died in an accident. Now, however...

(See Editorial Reviews via above link for the remainder of the text --admin)

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Shadow-Town
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 01:41:22 PM »
I ordered a used copy of it for a penny (plus $3.99 shipping).  I'll report on it when it arrives.

Offline Sara Monster

• * 150000 Poster!! *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Willie Loomis Saves Collinsport
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 03:51:49 PM »
Thanks Lydia!  [santa_smiley]

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 06:47:53 AM »
The book came, and I read it.  OK setup, OK writing, lousy ending.

I have no doubt that the writer had heard of Dark Shadows, but if he knew anything about Dark Shadows beyond the fact that it had a vampire and a werewolf, it didn't interest him.  And if he knew anything about how soap operas are produced, that didn't interest him much either.  The taping of the book's soap seemed to go at a pretty leisurely pace, unlike the way I've heard the taping of Dark Shadows described.

The Publishers Weekly review complained of the slowness of the book, but that didn't bother me much.  What did bother me were the browned pages and the small font – or anyway, the font seemed small to these aging eyes of mine.

If anybody is interested in reading it, PM me and I'll be happy to pass it along to you, with first refusal going to Sara Monster.